Disconnected from websocket
Hi folks,

Am I the only one who think this is too sad to be disconnected from the blitzortung websocket when I'm not on the window of blitzortung.  Undecided

It is impossible to have a dual screen with the map on one display and an other thing on the main display.  Sad

Regards
Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601
(2016-03-05, 17:38)DelandeC Wrote: Hi folks,

Am I the only one who think this is too sad to be disconnected from the blitzortung websocket when I'm not on the window of blitzortung.  Undecided

It is impossible to have a dual screen with the map on one display and an other thing on the main display.  Sad

Regards

You can fix this with Greasemonkey.

I am sure they put the code the to reduce bandwidth taken up by hidden tabs and minimized windows.

I am not sure how the devs will feel about people doing this, but the script is below.

Code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name        Blitzortung Map Always Update
// @namespace   http://en.blitzortung.org/
// @description Makes onblur set isFocus true or loadstrikes.
// @include     http://en.blitzortung.org/live_dynamic_maps.php
// @version     1
// @grant       none
// ==/UserScript==

window.onfocus= function() {
 if (!(isFocused)) {
   isFocused = true;
   if ((!(ws === undefined))&&(ws.readyState == 1)) {
     ws.send('{}');
   }
   else {
     loadStrikes(map,true,false);
   }
 }
};

window.onblur= function() {
 if (!(isFocused)) {
   isFocused = true;
   if ((!(ws === undefined))&&(ws.readyState == 1)) {
     ws.send('{}');
   }
   else {
     loadStrikes(map,true,false);
   }
 }
};
Hi,

yes, the main problem is the huge data traffic. Up to June, this is not a big problem but if we have thunderstorms, then several thousands people start looking where it is, change the window, and do anything else. But the browser still continiously loads data. It is not only the huge data traffic but also the large number of open connections.

At the beginning, we have broken the connection every hour, but the current solution is much more effective.

Egon
Stations: 2656, 3044
OK.

What about not disconnecting logged in users (participants)?
Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601
You can switch it of by adding "?connect_onfocus=0" to the url. It is stored in a cookie. Look also what happens if a browser tab with a real-time map is closed, and opend one hour later.
Stations: 2656, 3044