Need some direction
I want to build a lightning detector here in North Carolina but I need a bit of help on what direction I should start in and I have a few question.

1. Blue system. what is this exactly will this require specific hardware should I wait for its release or could I even contribute to its pace (Computer Engineer and Programmer) 

2. If I can build one now how do I go about getting access? I submitted my email on the page speaking about system red but I haven't received any response.

3. Is there a good guide for building the most recent version of one of these?

4. I work with a non-profit telecom (rural telecoms often are) I would like to track lightning strikes in their county can I let them use this or is that not allowed under commercial use?
(2015-11-11, 15:35)wdunn001 Wrote: I want to build a lightning detector here in North Carolina but I need a bit of help on what direction I should start in and I have a few question.

1. Blue system. what is this exactly will this require specific hardware should I wait for its release or could I even contribute to its pace (Computer Engineer and Programmer) 

2. If I can build one now how do I go about getting access? I submitted my email on the page speaking about system red but I haven't received any response.

3. Is there a good guide for building the most recent version of one of these?

4. I work with a non-profit telecom (rural telecoms often are) I would like to track lightning strikes in their county can I let them use this or is that not allowed under commercial use?

Hi,

System Blue is currently under development. Its release status is unknown.  The current Red system does not require a computer connection, only a network/internet connection. It has its own built-in web server and can be accessed with a browser.

Once System Blue has been tested to the developers' satisfaction, they will commence a production run of the boards/components, etc. The price on a Red system was around $200 +/- based on the currency conversion rate. I know System Red is out of production, and I don't think there any left. That is a question for Egon or Tobi to answer.

I do not know what "versions" that System Blue will come in. System Red was a kit of around 200+ parts that you soldered onto the PC boards.  

The most recent guide for System Red can be found under the "Cover Your Area" tab up above. It is a .pdf download with the description of how the TOA/TOGA systems works and the assembly of System Red.

Blitzortung TOA/TOGA data can not be used for commercial purposes.

Hope this helps,

John Sacrey
Station: 1387
Stations: 1387
(2015-11-11, 16:10)John.Sacrey Wrote: System Blue is currently under development. Its release status is unknown.  The current Red system does not require a computer connection, only a network/internet connection. It has its own built-in web server and can be accessed with a browser.

Once System Blue has been tested to the developers' satisfaction, they will commence a production run of the boards/components, etc. The price on a Red system was around $200 +/- based on the currency conversion rate. I know System Red is out of production, and I don't think there any left. That is a question for Egon or Tobi to answer.

I do not know what "versions" that System Blue will come in. System Red was a kit of around 200+ parts that you soldered onto the PC boards.  

The most recent guide for System Red can be found under the "Cover Your Area" tab up above. It is a .pdf download with the description of how the TOA/TOGA systems works and the assembly of System Red.

Hope this helps,

John Sacrey

OK so I got blue system will have its own hardware its not just a software/firmware change. 

I should wait for its release.

the PDF has all the parts I would need but I would have to build the CAD/GERBER files for the PCB myself since they aren't shared

I cannot sell the data.

this sound about right?
(2015-11-11, 19:38)wdunn001 Wrote:
(2015-11-11, 16:10)John.Sacrey Wrote: System Blue is currently under development. Its release status is unknown.  The current Red system does not require a computer connection, only a network/internet connection. It has its own built-in web server and can be accessed with a browser.

Hope this helps,

John Sacrey

OK so I got blue system will have its own hardware its not just a software/firmware change. 

I should wait for its release.

the PDF has all the parts I would need but I would have to build the CAD/GERBER files for the PCB myself since they aren't shared

I cannot sell the data.

this sound about right?

The new BLUE system will be the result of a complete redesign that has been based on what has been learned from both the original GREEN system and then the follow-on RED system. We won't know what the changes and enhancements will be until it is released nor will be know exactly what kind of antenna system(s) will be needed. All of that is currently being decided as the developers go through their design and build reviews. It's like waiting for Christmas except that none of us know what the new toy will be. All of us will just have to wait and see.  Big Grin

And yes, you are pretty much correct in your statement.

Quote:OK so I got blue system will have its own hardware its not just a software/firmware change.
  • The BLUE system is a complete redesign of both hardware and software/firmware
Quote:I should wait for its release.
  • You have no choice since there are no other options available
Quote:the PDF has all the parts I would need but I would have to build the CAD/GERBER files for the PCB myself since they aren't shared
  • Irrelevant since the PCB files are not available to anyone. Consider them to be proprietary/confidential property.
Quote:I cannot sell the data.
  • This entire project is non-commercial and no commercial usage of the data or equipment is allowed - PERIOD.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808
so maybe you guys might know then HOW DOES ONE GET historical lightning data free or not? Looks like I may invest in some Boltek equipment(does this work with your system?). but I need past data as well. so far it seems almost impossible to find! USPLN will provide a report for like insurance claims and stuff but I'm not interested in that I want data I can graph and overlay on heatmaps
(2015-11-12, 14:15)wdunn001 Wrote: so maybe you guys might know then HOW DOES ONE GET historical lightning data free or not? Looks like I may invest in some Boltek equipment(does this work with your system?). but I need past data as well. so far it seems almost impossible to find! USPLN will provide a report for like insurance claims and stuff but I'm not interested in that I want data I can graph and overlay on heatmaps

The Blitzortung system is not compatible with any other lightning detection system.

I would suggest joining the WXFORUM (http://www.wxforum.net/index.php). There is a lot of info available there on weather stations, lightning, Boltek and Blitzortung. It is not affiliated with any equipment manufacturer or software developer so it gives you a pretty good non-biased viewpoint of just about any weather related topic.

I am not aware of any FREE resource for historical weather data such as you are inquiring about.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808
Found these online, I hope these are helpful for your project.

http://www.carterlake.org/lightningdetector_1-wire.php
http://www.electroschematics.com/1021/li...-detector/