Let's get some global coverage
Hi there,

catchy title? Yes, but the text will be worth the time reading it.

About myself: I'm a German living in Berlin, studying physics and consider myself a hacker. I'm a member of the c-base, the oldest and one of the biggest hackerspaces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-base or www.c-base.org

"A hackerspace (also referred to as a hacklab, makerspace or hackspace) is a community-operated workspace where people with common interests, often in computers, machining, technology, science, digital art or electronic art, can meet, socialize and collaborate." (wikipedia)

I use blitzortung for quite some time now, and would definitely like to see it grow. Living in Berlin I don't see a great need for a station at my home. But there is another activity of mine that maybe would be very useful: I'm an active participant of the yearly chaos communication congress (over 10'000 people) and this years chaos communication camp (around 4'500 people). Between the thousands of German visitors there are always hundreds of hackers from all around the world.

I have read the newsletter and some posts here and there and know there's only little information about the upcoming system blue.

So my questions is simple: Can you please tell me when to expect the system blue and what the estimated price range will be?

If I have the answer before the first week of august I can promise you to talk with people all over the world or people who have an one hop contact to everywhere. And those people have the interest and capability to build and maintain the stations and most of them even have the funding to get right into it.

places I have in mind and I know at least one person associated with them:
Cairo
Seoul
Hong Kong and/or Shanghai
Tokio
Canary Islands
Singapore
Kathmandu

And I'm positive I will meet a lot more people in August and December, to see a list of possible candidates check the https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

I will invest my time to see the global coverage grow and infuse more people with the idea to track lightnings in their region if you are able to help me with it.

If you have any questions about myself, the c-base, hackerspaces, the ccc camp or congress etc. don't hesitate to ask.

lasse
Hi Lasse, I've just got my first station going in Singapore, station 1612. I was close to getting online last year but had a misadventure. I hope to get two more stations online in the near future. System Blue is a lot easier than System Red.

Peter.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to improve lightning strike data in areas with low coverage AaronMaudlin 0 90 2024-03-26, 06:42
Last Post: AaronMaudlin
  Detector Coverage For Western Australia Smithy 0 2,826 2022-03-01, 12:36
Last Post: Smithy
Exclamation Global lightning dataset in txt/CSV format Sara 6 19,158 2021-07-05, 18:43
Last Post: Eric.Wouters
  Coverage in Sweden falling off TheLea 0 5,973 2019-09-19, 19:05
Last Post: TheLea
  Phoenix, Arizona, a hole in the coverage? jerrya 5 32,508 2014-07-29, 12:13
Last Post: Kevin.Beverage