Accra station fails to connect
Station 1592 has been installed properly six months ago in a location in Accra/Ghana which provides reliable network. The issue is that it got never contacted to it. Before it worked well for some weeks of testing at different places in Ghana using a mobile router.
I recently tested again under the some conditions as it worked before using that mobile router. But now I´m not even able to enter the admin´s menu under 192.168.xxx.xx while the indicator lights are presenting some strange pattern as following.
When switching on the device, first Fault and Alarm indicators are on. After some seconds Power, Mode, Network and GPS indicators are on (but the GPS doesn´t flash first when searching for satellites). And now, every some 30 seconds the Mode, Network and GPS indicators go out for a split second followed by a short double-flash of the Signal indicator.
Any ideas how to fix the problem with in-house means here in Ghana. Or is it to be taken back for repair?

Thanx for any help provided.
Photo 
(2018-11-12, 19:49)afram Wrote: Station 1592 has been installed properly six months ago in a location in Accra/Ghana which provides reliable network. The issue is that it got never contacted to it. Before it worked well for some weeks of testing at different places in Ghana using a mobile router.
I recently tested again under the some conditions as it worked before using that mobile router. But now I´m not even able to enter the admin´s menu under 192.168.xxx.xx while the indicator lights are presenting some strange pattern as following.
When switching on the device, first Fault and Alarm indicators are on. After some seconds Power, Mode, Network and GPS indicators are on (but the GPS doesn´t flash first when searching for satellites). And now, every some 30 seconds the Mode, Network and GPS indicators go out for a split second followed by a short double-flash of the Signal indicator.
Any ideas how to fix the problem with in-house means here in Ghana. Or is it to be taken back for repair?

Thanx for any help provided.

Today I did what I should have done before posting a thread: I opened the housing and found some parts partially came loose from the board, namely that three inductors soldered just behind the Power LED. I recognize a small dimple at the front covering, so the damage is most likely caused by an unnoticed shock.
Is there any chance to get it fixed when I take it back to Germany by mid of December? I´m personally not able to carry out such delicate soldering jobs. Or qualifies it to obtain new detector hardware? If so, we soon will run a station in Accra.
Thanks in advance for any help and greetings from Ghana.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Message Egon, he may be able to help you.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
(2018-11-13, 21:05)afram Wrote: Today I did what I should have done before posting a thread: I opened the housing and found some parts partially came loose from the board, namely that three inductors soldered just behind the Power LED.

Can you measure the resistance across each one, they should be more or less short circuit. That would give an indication if new inductors are required or just those reattaching. The middle one looks like the base is still attached to the board but the cover displaced, that may have broken the wires inside and would need a new inductor.

(2018-11-13, 21:05)afram Wrote: I´m personally not able to carry out such delicate soldering jobs.

Are there any electronics repair places you could take it to? Such places are getting rare in the UK where stuff is, relative to income, cheap (something fails, throw it away, buy a new one, even if "fail" is just needing to press the factory reset button...), labour costs are high and skills declining. I'd expect the balance to be more the opposite in Africa so repair places far more common. Getting new inductor(s), if required, is likely to be the hard part.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
[quote pid='19691' dateline='1542542552']
allsorts Wrote:Can you measure the resistance across each one, they should be more or less short circuit. That would give an indication if new inductors are required or just those reattaching. The middle one looks like the base is still attached to the board but the cover displaced, that may have broken the wires inside and would need a new inductor.

I could do so as I have a small multimeter with me. But, all three inductors are almost completely detached, the picture shows the condition after folding them back.

Quote:allsorts

Are there any electronics repair places you could take it to? Such places are getting rare in the UK where stuff is, relative to income, cheap (something fails, throw it  away, buy a new one, even if "fail" is just needing to press the factory reset button...), labour costs are high and skills declining. I'd expect the balance to be more the opposite in Africa so repair places far more common. Getting new inductor(s), if required, is likely to be the hard part.

You´ll find plenty of repair shops around, but I assume most of them lacking appropriate equipment to handle smd boards. Beside this, you hardly gain the spare parts over here. When back home I´ll find somebody to get it repaired and send it back to Ghana afterwards.
Anyhow, thank´s for your care.

Cheers,
Thomas
[/quote]
(2018-11-18, 20:01)afram Wrote: I could do so as I have a small multimeter with me. But, all three inductors are almost completely detached, the picture shows the condition after folding them back.

Ah OK, had the cases split or had the whole component come away from the board?

[quote pid='19693' dateline='1542571261']
You´ll find plenty of repair shops around, but I assume most of them lacking appropriate equipment to handle smd boards. Beside this, you hardly gain the spare parts over here.
[/quote]

Everything is SMD these days, so the repair shops don't fit new power conectors to mobile phones or repair other electronic gadgets? SMD isn't that difficult to handle fine soldering iron steady hand and a magnifier. But as you say getting the parts will be more of an issue, assuming that they are broken hence the continuity test. If they aren't broken they just need tacking back onto the board and those inductots are huge on the SMD scale of things.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
Quote:allsorts Wrote:
Ah OK, had the cases split or had the whole component come away from the board?
Quote:allsorts Wrote:
Everything is SMD these days, so the repair shops don't fit new power conectors to mobile phones or repair other electronic gadgets? SMD isn't that difficult to handle fine soldering iron steady hand and a magnifier. But as you say getting the parts will be more of an issue, assuming that they are broken hence the continuity test. If they aren't broken they just need tacking back onto the board and those inductots are huge on the SMD scale of things.
Unfortunately the probes of my cheap multimeter are too plump for proper measurement.
Today I met some engineers from a swiss NGO who come to Ghana regularly for maintenance of electric and electronic hospital equipment - one of these is even operating a station in Switzerland - what a coincidence! Here at my actual place they run a well equipped workshop.  So today we examined the damaged inductors and found all three sockets tough. Only the mounted coils including the ferrite housings were loose and the wires of the one in the middle were completely teared. After removing the already broken housing we were able to solder it back. Sorry, but we achieved no improvement. That was definitely all I could manage during my remaining period in Ghana.
Bye.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2018-11-26, 21:01)afram Wrote: Unfortunately the probes of my cheap multimeter are too plump for proper measurement.

Use thinner wires as probes. Make sure the thinner wires have good connections to your meter probes.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
(2018-11-29, 08:19)kevinmcc Wrote: Use thinner wires as probes. Make sure the thinner wires have good connections to your meter probes.

I was about doing exactly this before I lunched with swiss engineers - see previous posts Wink
Is the station running right now? If you need further help for setting up the station, then just contact me via mail.
Stations: 538, 672, 1534, 1555, 1696, 1712, 2034, 2219