Testing detecting range
Is it possible to see if you can detect strokes in other regions?  I am interested to see how far away my station will pick up strikes but I assume I'm limited to North and South America.  However I very often see lines going from strikes in North America going to the middle of Europe.  If this is something I could turn on or test, I would really like to try it.  Thank you in advance for and advice.

Mo
Stations: 658
(2019-07-26, 16:32)MooreGeo Wrote: Is it possible to see if you can detect strokes in other regions?  I am interested to see how far away my station will pick up strikes but I assume I'm limited to North and South America.  However I very often see lines going from strikes in North America going to the middle of Europe.  If this is something I could turn on or test, I would really like to try it.  Thank you in advance for and advice.

Mo

Hi MO,

not sure whether this answers your question. You may have a look at https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortun...on_id=1084. At the moment the maximum distance of your station is stated as 12718 km.

Klaus
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729
My station is in Poland and I once noticed that it detected discharges in southern Africa and even in Brazil.
But it was a long time ago.
Now I have much less gain set and the whole Blitzortung system works so that a long range of detection for most stations is not needed.
(2019-10-25, 22:27)gerbold Wrote:
(2019-07-26, 16:32)MooreGeo Wrote: Is it possible to see if you can detect strokes in other regions?  I am interested to see how far away my station will pick up strikes but I assume I'm limited to North and South America.  However I very often see lines going from strikes in North America going to the middle of Europe.  If this is something I could turn on or test, I would really like to try it.  Thank you in advance for and advice. google street view

Mo

Hi MO,

not sure whether this answers your question. You may have a look at https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortun...on_id=1084. At the moment the maximum distance of your station is stated as 12718 km.

Klaus

Thanks very much for that information.
Hello everyone.
Currently I have heard a several lightings in my neighbourhood (around 1km), but it seems that my station is not involved in registering them. Shouls I worry or I did something wrong?
Station 2643.
(2020-04-13, 09:34)S_beast Wrote: Hello everyone.
Currently I have heard a several lightings in my neighbourhood (around 1km), but it seems that my station is not involved in registering them. Shouls I worry or I did something wrong?
Station 2643.

No relax. 
Your system should, and probably does, go into interference with activity that near.  Bliitzortung is NOT a warning system.It is a network for location of  strokes. Most cells with intense activity closer than 30 Km, for exaample. should do that.  One reason, the system is so sensitivity, that the heavy activity becomes virtually useless for locating, that close. Accept i9nterference mode in that situation,... the rest of the network should cover your nearby activity.  hen you'll help with them if the situation is reversed. Over the years I've managed to detect a single 3km stroke, and one 6km stroke, with my H channels off, and the E channels at virtual 0 gain... heh.

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2020-04-13, 09:34)S_beast Wrote: Hello everyone.
Station 2643.

I also noticed that you specified an E-probe on channel 1 as your only detector. Antenna 1-3 is allocated for H-field (loops, ferrites ) . If you only have the E-probe, it should be on Antenna 4.
To correct this, logon to your BO profile and enter the correct values. Note that antenna 1 corresponds to Input 0 and so forth. Also under dimensions enter the correct values. Hover your mouse over the Dimension box and it will show examples.

On System Blue Inputs 4-5 is not used and must be set to "undefined' as well as any inputs that is not in use.
[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
Thank you for feedback.

So I will rely on work of other stations, same as they rely on my work in case of nearest storms.
During strorm there was no interference, I've not seen error alarm.

Now I see interference, but earlier it was light storm.

I've mooved my antenna from input 0 to input 3.
Once more thank you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Detecting in other Zones? actiopabs94 3 8,790 2021-08-09, 15:56
Last Post: NHSA_Rainer
  Detecting in other Zones? MooreGeo 5 24,084 2017-11-13, 01:02
Last Post: MooreGeo
  Detecting Lightning strikes on the opposite side of the earth ? Michael.Sanders 1 12,971 2014-10-28, 12:01
Last Post: Tobi