"Idle" Indication
On two recent occasions I have checked participants and found that my system was listed as "Idle". On the first occasion I powered my system down and restarted it and it came up as "Running". When it happened second time I had a close look at Blitzortung.Org and found that my system as making detections and reporting lightning strikes but it was not passing through my server. On the second occasion I recycled my server and again the system began to function normally.

Today I checked all users and there were six "Idle" systems. I would like to get participants experiences with this issue and try to understand why it happened and find out the best approach to eliminating the problem completely.

Cheers,

Errol Walker (875)
Stations: 1363, 1399
Hi,

a system is marked as "Idle", when no signals (UDP) have been sent for a while but the control connection (HTTP) reports that everything is working. This means, that either the station doesn't receive any signals or all UDP packets get lost (i.e. due to a firewall). We will improve that status in the future, so that a station will be marked with a warning when it send signals but the server doesn't receive them.

Regards

Tobias
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
Station 946 station is relatively new and been working well since installation. Today it was rebooted and is showing as either "idle" or "running" with zero signals. I have tried rebooting many times with in the past hour, with the web interface, button on the side and unplugging the power source and still no luck. On the "Status" page it is showing that signals are being sent. But it is showing "Idle" and zero signals received on the Blitzortung.org page. The router has been rebooted also.

The unit is connected to a 4 port switch -> router -> DSL modem. There have not been any changes here to any of the network setup.

In summary, everything here appears to be working OK and all components have been rebooted. What to look for or try next?
Stations:
(2014-04-27, 19:00)Dr Obbins Wrote: Station 946 station is relatively new and been working well since installation. Today it was rebooted and is showing as either "idle" or "running" with zero signals. I have tried rebooting many times with in the past hour, with the web interface, button on the side and unplugging the power source and still no luck. On the "Status" page it is showing that signals are being sent. But it is showing "Idle" and zero signals received on the Blitzortung.org page. The router has been rebooted also.

The unit is connected to a 4 port switch -> router -> DSL modem. There have not been any changes here to any of the network setup.

In summary, everything here appears to be working OK and all components have been rebooted. What to look for or try next?

I had the same problem a couple months back. Does your station ID and user ID show on the controller's status page? Mine were missing when I troubleshot this. I thought it was the ethernet chip so I bought a new one. The problem fixed itself 24 hours (almost exactly) after it started. I still have the controller chip in case it flakes out again though. Wink

My path from the controller to the interwebs is the same as yours.

Hope this helps
Stations: 724, 1945
@Dr Obbins: You manually changed the sampling values to 256, but the server only accepts 512. The server currently forces your station to 512, but you should also set that manually.

Changing those numbers is always at your own risk. We will add some warning if the server doesn't accept the signals when we have time for that.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
Yes - I was playing trying to learn by cause and effect. I won't change that again.
Thanks.
Stations:
My station is tagged Idle now. I have made no changes to the station or my network infrastructure lately.
But I notice that I get a lot of "server busy" messages in this forum. Is it a server problem, or is there something I need to do?

In the local Signals view I can see there is a lot of strong signals that are not lightnings. Probably thermostats as it is now colder than it have been this winter.
If that is the problem I would have thought it went to Interference and not Idle?
Stations: 1209
Yes, there must be onother explanation, I see a lot of stations in IDLE in Denmark right now.
Could it be something with the server(s).

And now an hour later there are none IDLE - hmmmm

/Dan
Stations: 109, 741

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittend Idle problems Europe WSOverijse 4 25,198 2015-03-14, 17:01
Last Post: Tobi