Bolts not seen on live map
I live in the south of France near to loose, sorry, Toulouse and tonite, while bombarded by mainly horizontal bolts, not vertical that strike I mean, there was no sign of all of those bolts on the live map, vector map,,,as if it wasn't recorded by the system. I saw that there aren;t many spots around here so I consider installing a blue system in the future...
If someone has an explanation to that...
Best
(2021-06-21, 21:07)Zonker Wrote: I live in the south of France near to loose, sorry, Toulouse and tonite, while bombarded by mainly horizontal bolts, not vertical that strike I mean, there was no sign of all of those bolts on the live map, vector map,,,as if it wasn't recorded by the system. I saw that there aren;t many spots around here so I consider installing a blue system in the future...
Best

Blitzortung receivers detect atmospheric discharges, but the network only attempts definition and location of Cloud to Ground lightning discharges.

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2021-06-21, 21:59)cutty Wrote:
(2021-06-21, 21:07)Zonker Wrote: I live in the south of France near to loose, sorry, Toulouse and tonite, while bombarded by mainly horizontal bolts, not vertical that strike I mean, there was no sign of all of those bolts on the live map, vector map,,,as if it wasn't recorded by the system. I saw that there aren;t many spots around here so I consider installing a blue system in the future...
Best

Blitzortung receivers detect atmospheric discharges, but the network only attempts definition and location of Cloud to Ground lightning discharges.
Ahhh! OK! now I understand, only a few hit the ground..All clear, Thanks for the reply!Zonker
Pretty much question to Cutty or Egon. If i recall correctly our systems can detect polarity of lightning and IC lightning.
Any plans of implementing it on the live map?
Stations: 1145
The network's Blitzortung receivers detect atmospheric discharges, however it only attempts to define and locate Cloud to Ground lightning discharges.
Hello,

Thank You for this amazing community project!
I use it to estimate whether or not I will be affected by a thunderstorm.

I was surprised like user Zonker, that lightnings really close to me were not shown on the website.
The explanation is understandable, but I think with this filter, important information becomes unavailable.

Would it be possible to show both types of lightnings but in different colors or shapes? Or have a switch that filters what lightnings are shown?

Kind regards.
Best

The system does not detect cloud-to-cloud lightning, only vertical strokes between the clouds and earth.

There is more than one website with those maps. Are you looking at blitzortung.org or lightningmaps.org?
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294