LPATS IV - what could i do with it?
Hello! This is my first post and it contains a question. Last year i managed to get my hands on a LPATS IV [Image: FS315362-189156.jpg] and im looking for every bit of information there is to find about this system.
I've done some emailing with the swedish metrological instution, but they could only tell me that i needed more than one and that the antenna should be a 40 cm long whip. Im not so sure i need more than one because i got multiple antenna inputs.
Is there anyone sitting on information that could make this piece of hardware usable?
The unit is at another location, but i can post some pictures next week.

/Jonatan
I think that Global Atmospherics was acquired by Vaisala. You might try them

Greg H
Stations: 706, 1682
(2014-06-12, 12:28)HamelGre Wrote: I think that Global Atmospherics was acquired by Vaisala. You might try them

Greg H
Yes, 12 years ago...

Always keeping in mind, these forums are for the Blitzortung system. Wink

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2014-06-12, 12:44)Cutty Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 12:28)HamelGre Wrote: I think that Global Atmospherics was acquired by Vaisala. You might try them

Greg H
Yes, 12 years ago...

Always keeping in mind, these forums are for the Blitzortung system. Wink

"That sensor went EOL many years ago and unfortunately we cannot offer any support. All documentation has since been archived and is no longer available." was the reply when i emailed them.

Does Blitzortung require you to use their hardware, or could you use something like this? It's a TOA system after all Tongue
(2014-06-12, 13:08)djbengan Wrote: Does Blitzortung require you to use their hardware, or could you use something like this? It's a TOA system after all Tongue
Only the Blitzortung system can interface with the network. http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?&page=3

(2014-06-12, 13:32)Cutty Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 13:08)djbengan Wrote: Does Blitzortung require you to use their hardware, or could you use something like this? It's a TOA system after all Tongue
Only the Blitzortung system can interface with the network. http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?&page=3

It may be good for parts Smile
Stations: 1013
(2014-06-12, 14:05)Jonathan.Williams Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 13:32)Cutty Wrote:

It may be good for parts Smile
Or a boat anchor...

I found a report
http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/eulinox/publicat...hery1a.pdf
It can not be used alone but must be used in a group who send their data to a calculation server.
As one of the developers of Blitzortung system, I am interested in seeing it inside - and the unit itself if you discard it Smile

/richo
Stations: 584, 585, 2017
(2014-06-12, 19:37)RichoAnd Wrote: I found a report
http://www.pa.op.dlr.de/eulinox/publicat...hery1a.pdf
It can not be used alone but must be used in a group who send their data to a calculation server.
As one of the developers of Blitzortung system, I am interested in seeing it inside - and the unit itself if you discard it Smile

/richo

I would also be interested in seeing the "guts". Post some pictures if you could.

Consider it a little "competitive analysis"... (of antique technology)

Greg
(2014-06-12, 19:59)HamelGre Wrote: I would also be interested in seeing the "guts". Post some pictures if you could.

I ran one of the 6 (I think it was only 6) sensors in Australia from around 1996 until they turned off the system a couple of years ago. I have a very similar sensor, complete with antennas and the interface, in working condition.

Will try to get time to take some pictures this weekend.
Stations: 812, 848, 849, 852
(2014-06-13, 20:47)Ross.Wheeler Wrote:
(2014-06-12, 19:59)HamelGre Wrote: I would also be interested in seeing the "guts". Post some pictures if you could.

I ran one of the 6 (I think it was only 6) sensors in Australia from around 1996 until they turned off the system a couple of years ago. I have a very similar sensor, complete with antennas and the interface, in working condition.

Will try to get time to take some pictures this weekend.
That sounds ever so great!
OK, so here's the first round of pictures.
They're not specific, they're just what I'd call "identifying" shots of the parts.
If you want closeups of specific areas, just describe where (or mark up one of my pics).

From the front... boring Smile
[Image: lpats-front.jpg]

Door open to show the layout.
[Image: lpats-inside.jpg]

The three PCBs.... processor, analog, and the GPS engine.
[Image: lpats-pcb1.jpg]

[Image: lpats-pcb2.jpg]

[Image: lpats-pcb3.jpg]

And the boring back panel, I need to take this again without all the cables obscuring labels.
[Image: lpats-rear.jpg]

This has been in service continuously for over 15 years. It really should have had a clean out but hasn't. It has 2 or more large fans but no filters to speak of, which explains why it is so dusty inside!
(2014-06-15, 22:46)Ross.Wheeler Wrote: OK, so here's the first round of pictures.
They're not specific, they're just what I'd call "identifying" shots of the parts.
If you want closeups of specific areas, just describe where (or mark up one of my pics).

This has been in service continuously for over 15 years. It really should have had a clean out but hasn't. It has 2 or more large fans but no filters to speak of, which explains why it is so dusty inside!

Do you got any antenna pictures?
Wow, that must have cost a bundle back in the day. I like the wire connecting the grounds on the one board.

Thanks for posting them.

Greg
(2014-06-15, 23:04)djbengan Wrote: Do you got any antenna pictures?

the GPS antenna is the white cone-like one, the Sense antenna is the fibreglass whip, mounted in the white plastic bracket just below and to the left of the GPS antenna
[Image: 100_1020.JPG]

From slightly further back, the sense antenna (complete with anti-static ball on top) is more visible here.
[Image: 100_1021.JPG]

(2014-06-16, 00:14)HamelGre Wrote: Wow, that must have cost a bundle back in the day.

I was told they were around $60,000 each back in the day.
Seems a little OTT to me, but who knows...
How does it smell? I love that smell of retro hardware Smile

Those boards look really old.
Edit:
They are Big Grin Another look at it Z80 processor... The original one. That's for computers like late Jurassic age Smile
Stations: 1040