You need more detectors in SoCal US
Here I am sitting at my computer in Southern California 92883 and we are experiencing a very heavy thunder/lightning storm. My first though? Blitzortung.org!! I wanted to watch and hear it ping off every strike.

The problem is that while I've seen about 50 lightning strikes in the last hour, the website doesn't show them. Maybe two? Two out of 50? I assume the issue is lack of reliable detectors in my area. I'd be happy to help out if needed.
(2014-09-16, 22:32)whichwayisnorth Wrote: Here I am sitting at my computer in Southern California 92883 and we are experiencing a very heavy thunder/lightning storm. My first though? Blitzortung.org!! I wanted to watch and hear it ping off every strike.

The problem is that while I've seen about 50 lightning strikes in the last hour, the website doesn't show them. Maybe two? Two out of 50? I assume the issue is lack of reliable detectors in my area. I'd be happy to help out if needed.

You're right that we need more detectors in the West, and hold that thought. The developers are working on long-delayed upgrades to the servers, algorithms, and network, and have implemented a hiatus on adding more stations until that work is done. It's a temporary thing.
Stations: 1013
I have been and still am willing to host a detector in Las Vegas, NV, but in 2014 I was told all units were sold out and to stay tuned. I haven't been contacted since. I entered my email address on the list again today but unfortunately my waiting position is beyond 2,000. It sure would be nice to host and contribute.
(2017-06-10, 07:35)xycmu Wrote: I have been and still am willing to host a detector in Las Vegas, NV, but in 2014 I was told all units were sold out and to stay tuned. I haven't been contacted since. I entered my email address on the list again today but unfortunately my waiting position is beyond 2,000. It sure would be nice to host and contribute.

Re-entering your request would have bumped you down!  It's also possible that any 'notification' of availability
may not have reached you for some reason! Also, posts and requests here on the forum have nothing to do with 'ordering' or 'requesting' a kit...
Send an email direct to Egon... he may be able to work with you, depending on other priority status and kit availability...

Kits are prepared with these general priorities, however... note that  #4 generally, and #3 selectively refer to the 'request' list...
others generally expedited through direct requests or notifications to Egon.
1.  Replacement of an older GREEN system.
2.  Replacement of a damaged or failed RED or BLUE system.
3.  Orders to areas of no or low station density / coverage
  3a.  The occasional special inquiry from a scientific or research institution such as NASA, ESA, NOAA, etc
4.  NEW Orders actually made from the 'interest' list in order of date received.

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2017-06-10, 13:31)Cutty Wrote:
(2017-06-10, 07:35)xycmu Wrote: I have been and still am willing to host a detector in Las Vegas, NV, but in 2014 I was told all units were sold out and to stay tuned. I haven't been contacted since. I entered my email address on the list again today but unfortunately my waiting position is beyond 2,000. It sure would be nice to host and contribute.

Re-entering your request would have bumped you down!  It's also possible that any 'notification' of availability
may not have reached you for some reason! Also, posts and requests here on the forum have nothing to do with 'ordering' or 'requesting' a kit...
Send an email direct to Egon... he may be able to work with you, depending on other priority status and kit availability...

Kits are prepared with these general priorities, however... note that  #4 generally, and #3 selectively refer to the 'request' list...
others generally expedited through direct requests or notifications to Egon.
1.  Replacement of an older GREEN system.
2.  Replacement of a damaged or failed RED or BLUE system.
3.  Orders to areas of no or low station density / coverage
  3a.  The occasional special inquiry from a scientific or research institution such as NASA, ESA, NOAA, etc
4.  NEW Orders actually made from the 'interest' list in order of date received.
I did read that re-entering a request using the same email address did not bump you down - it simply told you where you were in the list??
True/Not True ?
If you have submitted a "cover your area" form since July 2016 (I think, some one correct me):

Same email - gives your current "rank".
Different email - Starts a new expression of interest at the end of the list.

If you submiited a "cover your area" form before that date you have priority over those who submitted after. I'm not exactly sure what happens if you give the current form that same email address. I think you get told that you have priority along with your current rank, which I don't think takes this priority into account.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627