Kits for those who live near power lines....
Would it be possible to have kits for those who live near power lines? Even though the devices would have to use some attenuation, if it could pick up the local strikes that are within 8 - 10 km, it would be still usable for the map. Also a sound pressure (microphone) could be used to calibrate the expanding sound circles.

-Overseer of Mybrokenpc
At the risk of walking a weak limb, here, I suggest you might be surprised at how little "near field" induction occurs because of nearby power lines. I'm surrounded by them. It's not generally the 'power lines' that cause issues... its things attached to them... but then if you detect an 'arcing' transformer or insulator, the utility company would love to know it. Vacuum cleaners, drills, furnace/AC motors.. that kind of thing... aging or failing 'vapor' street lights, etc... plasma TV's... the truck axle plant over the hill and its welding lines.... Smile
most issues are caused by other things....
Nearby flashes, in the distance range you mention, seem to be a bit more difficult to reconcile, because of their strength (distortion) and the fact that frequent discharges and constant 'sferics' may well send the system into 'interference' mode... that's where the rest of the network takes over, and records the sferic... a good operating system might operate most effectively in the range of 50-500 miles most effectively, going 'interference' for e.g. with cells <50 miles...
There are a lot of variables, here.. but in effect the developers have produced an excellent system, up through the currently operating "Red" systems... and once properly optimized and located, they can operate in and around power lines,. Must remember, this is NOT a "plug 'n' play" device... it requires some background knowledge, a small bit of research, and experimentation, for operators...
There are some indications that further 'developments' in any upcoming hardware may be even more efficient and simpler, coupled with the more advanced processing and 'fingerprinting' of the signals on the server side. Remember that the 'local' systems do not detect 'lightning'... just various signature signals... the 'server' determines if it was a flash, once it is received...

As far as a microphone to calibrate 'thunder' speed...while very interesting, and possibly viable... we might consider that a bit of a 'gimmick', extra feature... and Tobi had quite a brainstorm creating it... actually it is reasonably accurate in many cases... but, trust me, any 'thunder' representations are very, very, far down on the list of priorities... if it's even on the list! Locating and characterizing parameters of strokes is the top priority.
Do you plan to install a station when systems again available???

Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
When the systems become available, I will be setting it up. I have had an interest in severe weather for some time.

Would it be possible to "train" (for lack of a better description) the device? For example, right now the weather is perfect clear here today so any man made "noise" include in a finger print, like the clicking of a sign or on/off of an air conditioner, etc.

BTW thank you for the quick reply back.

-Overseer of MybrokenPC (formerly KC4UND)

(2014-11-01, 18:24)Cutty Wrote: At the risk of walking a weak limb, here, I suggest you might be surprised at how little "near field" induction occurs because of nearby power lines. I'm surrounded by them. It's not generally the 'power lines' that cause issues... its things attached to them... but then if you detect an 'arcing' transformer or insulator, the utility company would love to know it. Vacuum cleaners, drills, furnace/AC motors.. that kind of thing... aging or

(SNIP)

Mike
(2014-11-01, 20:52)Mybrokenpc Wrote: When the systems become available, I will be setting it up. I have had an interest in severe weather for some time.

Would it be possible to "train" (for lack of a better description) the device? For example, right now the weather is perfect clear here today so any man made "noise" include in a finger print, like the clicking of a sign or on/off of an air conditioner, etc.

BTW thank you for the quick reply back.

-Overseer of MybrokenPC (formerly KC4UND)

(2014-11-01, 18:24)Cutty Wrote: At the risk of walking a weak limb, here, I suggest you might be surprised at how little "near field" induction occurs because of nearby power lines. I'm surrounded by them. It's not generally the 'power lines' that cause issues... its things attached to them... but then if you detect an 'arcing' transformer or insulator, the utility company would love to know it. Vacuum cleaners, drills, furnace/AC motors.. that kind of thing... aging or

(SNIP)

Mike

In some respects, the RED system does automatically adapt to various levels of noise. We already have adjustable settings that help in that regard. However, the best way to mitigate the noise issues is to attack them one at a time as your system is being set-up. It takes a while to learn the system and to get it running optimally. Unfortunately, due to the wide variations of each station, it is impossible to establish an "exact" best setup for each one. That has to be done on a trial and error basis over time. My station has been operational for over a year yet I still find myself playing with it and making fine adjustments. It's still not perfect but it gets better all the time.

You'll discover all of this when you receive your own station. Patience is the word at the moment. We are all waiting to hear that the stations are once again available for ordering and shipment.

There is also another great forum that you can access that covers many Blitzortung subjects, including links to reference and build documents. You will find it at the following link:
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When are kits back in stock? Crozing 76 372,101 2015-04-19, 05:05
Last Post: robo
  E Field AMP kits - availability? Stephen.Walker 1 12,638 2014-10-13, 20:21
Last Post: Stephen.Walker