Blitzortung.org Forum

Full Version: One Antena in Azores is enough ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone, 

I live is Lisbon where there are 3 active antennas, but I saw that there are no antennas in Azores... in middle of Atlantic ocean!!!

I have a friend that live in Azores(Flores Island) My question :

Just one antenna in Azores is enough to localize lightnings or the minimum is 2 or more antennas ?

Thanks in advance,
Paulo
Hello and welcome aboard !

The more, the better. But one is already a good start  Big Grin

Since there is not a lot of detectors in southern Europe (Spain, Portugal) it might be a bit difficult to catch a lot of strike there but some will definitly be detected Wink

If you have friends in Portugal, get them involve too  Lightning
If you check out the detected lightning activity over South East Asia which is essentially derived from four s.p.a.r.s.e. stations in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Darwin (if they are all connected), then you'll see there are detected strokes, but no where near as many as what is detected further south in Eastern Australia / NZ where there are more stations.  Singapore and KL are known to be very active lightning locations, but that is not apparent in the data we present.

Since Azores is much closer to nearly all the stations in Europe, than are the four stations mentioned above to each other, then a station in the Azores should be expected to get a better stroke rate.
I see great potential in stations in the Azores, the Canary Islands, Madeira

My "appetizer" could be sent to potentially interested parties - private weather stations, radio amateurs

/Richo
(2016-05-28, 00:45)psper Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Everyone, 

I live is Lisbon where there are 3 active antennas, but I saw that there are no antennas in Azores... in middle of Atlantic ocean!!!

I have a friend that live in Azores(Flores Island) My question :

Just one antenna in Azores is enough to localize lightnings or the minimum is 2 or more antennas ?

Thanks in advance,

Ola Paulo,

Sorry for my bad English, I am belgiam and I live in Alcobaca (English and Portuguese that makes a large soup Wink )

It would be useful of poster a message http://www.meteopt.com/forum/ to find people on the Azores and Madeira.
(2016-05-28, 07:55)Michael.Sanders Wrote: [ -> ]If you check out the detected lightning activity over South East Asia which is essentially derived from four s.p.a.r.s.e. stations in Bangkok, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Darwin (if they are all connected),

Hello,

I think that soon, it will have a station in China (Shenzhen) a friend French engineer lives over there.
Hi,

If I get a new station in Azores, Flores Island, the extreme western point of Europe, I suppose that Blitzortung.org will change the Europe Map to include Azores!

LOLLLLLLLLLL :-)
(2016-05-30, 21:17)psper Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

If I get a new station in Azores, Flores Island, the extreme western point of Europe, I suppose that Blitzortung.org will change the Europe Map to include Azores!

LOLLLLLLLLLL  :-)

Big Grin ..and possibly Africa, also?  Sometimes 'lonesome' stations share with more than one Region, since the location and system can 'cross' those borders and add to the
support in multiple regions!
Lightning Example: On one of the forums, maybe here, we came up with the idea of "Blitzortung Buoys" floating in the Pacific to support "Lonesome Stan" and his solitary station (993) in Hawaii...
Stan's station also reports to Oceania

Maybe we need some 'Atlantic' Blitzortung Buoys... sailing the currents and trade winds, they could report to about all the regions...except Asia/Oceania perhaps,
but the way Blitzortung has a tendency to expand, one would wander into the Pacific, and really give the Servers an assignment issue... every report has different GPS coordinates...
...Egon Tobi, and Richo would like that. Rolleyes

...and somebody will develop a Blitzortung Drone... Cloud ...
(2016-05-31, 13:20)Cutty Wrote: [ -> ]

Big Grin ..and possibly Africa, also?  Sometimes 'lonesome' stations share with more than one Region, since the location and system can 'cross' those borders and add to the
Lightning Example: On one of the forums, maybe here, we came up with the idea of "Blitzortung Buoys" floating in the Pacific to support "Lonesome Stan" and his solitary station (993) in Hawaii...

Maybe we need some 'Atlantic' Blitzortung Buoys... sailing the currents and trade winds, they could report to about all the regions...except Asia/Oceania perhaps,
but the way Blitzortung has a tendency to expand, one would wander into the Pacific, and really give the Servers an assignment issue... every report has different GPS coordinates...

Cutty, 

"Maybe we need some 'Atlantic' Blitzortung Buoys"  

I request 2 new Blue stations one is for Azores in the middle of Atlantic!!!...But my request was late and i didn't lucky to got the new Blues station :-( :-( :-(
(2016-05-31, 16:51)psper Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-05-31, 13:20)Cutty Wrote: [ -> ]

Cutty, 

"Maybe we need some 'Atlantic' Blitzortung Buoys"  

I request 2 new Blue stations one is for Azores in the middle of Atlantic!!!...But my request was late and i didn't lucky to got the new Blues station :-( :-( :-(
Oh... bad luck! Sad
Egon posted that another production order went in ? today?  so, perhaps in a few weeks you'll be able to get them!  Hopefully the manufacturing will go smoother this time.

Cannot build buoys without boards! Rolleyes  and you'll be an important bridge into the Caribbean and other Atlantic Islands!
Cheers!
Mike