Blitzortung.org Forum

Full Version: Quiet quiet day in NA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very dead day lightning wise in region 3. Looking at three of the sites in NC, virtually no signals. 

[attachment=3474]
(2018-04-18, 01:03)BobW Wrote: [ -> ]Very dead day lightning wise in region 3. Looking at three of the sites in NC, virtually no signals. 
Looking at the attachment it looks like Bear Creek needs some TLC!
The other three stations, low lightning = low signal count, which seems to be the way to go! Big Grin 

Brian.
(2018-04-18, 01:03)BobW Wrote: [ -> ]Very dead day lightning wise in region 3. Looking at three of the sites in NC, virtually no signals. 

Looks like you're chasing Interferers on Bear Creek... My environment gone to pot, especially diurnally, over last few months...
791 experimenting with H pol loops...  two of these are very irritating, especially since they oftern will NOT trigger interference mod.
Auto Amplitude is a very poor solution for me.. with some of these... .. Sigh.  this is going to be a long-term re-optimizing, or a
switchto E only, looks like.. I'd already basically been forced to 'short / medium range on H field... looks like even 'shorter' now.

https://youtu.be/ISFP7NjQhok

or (flash required)
[Image: sigstest-XL.jpg]
Hopefully the owner of that reads the forums. We're here to help in any way we can.
My point with listing the NC ones is that the atmosphere was really quiet, and it is again today too. Good time to determine what is local noise, and what is atmospherics because there pretty much is none.
Heh... for some reason, my weak mind thought that was yours... Angry
Actually, mine's pretty quiet.

No strikes, noise gate open
[attachment=3475]

A strike someplace - probably South Mexico or Caribbean 
[attachment=3476]

Status page
[attachment=3477]
(2018-04-18, 11:14)Cutty Wrote: [ -> ]... My environment gone to pot, especially diurnally, over last few months...
791 experimenting with H pol loops...  two of these are very irritating, especially since they oftern will NOT trigger interference mod.
Auto Amplitude is a very poor solution for me.. with some of these... .. Sigh.  this is going to be a long-term re-optimizing, or a
switchto E only, looks like.. I'd already basically been forced to 'short / medium range on H field... looks like even 'shorter' now.

I see that there are grassy pastures north and south of the housing development that you live in. Is there a remote possibility that you can try one of your stations there? That might very well be much quieter since it's away from all those houses.

Run the wires along the property line to the north, maybe? Or use a small solar panel/battery and wi-fi to eliminate the need to bury wires.
(2018-04-19, 15:06)mwaters Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-18, 11:14)Cutty Wrote: [ -> ]... My environment gone to pot, especially diurnally, over last few months...

I see that there are grassy pastures north and south of the housing development that you live in. Is there a remote possibility that you can try one of your stations there? That might very well be much quieter since it's away from all those houses.

Run the wires along the property line to the north, maybe? Or use a small solar panel/battery and wi-fi to eliminate the need to bury wires.

Big Grin Out of the question... Lightning
(2018-04-20, 04:06)Cutty Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-19, 15:06)mwaters Wrote: [ -> ]I see that there are grassy pastures north and south of the housing development that you live in. Is there a remote possibility that you can try one of your stations there? That might very well be much quieter since it's away from all those houses.

Big Grin Out of the question... Lightning

Put your house up for sale?  Big Grin
(2018-04-18, 07:24)readbueno Wrote: [ -> ]
Looking at the attachment it looks like Bear Creek needs some TLC!
The other three stations, low lightning = low signal count, which seems to be the way to go! Big Grin 

Brian.

There is an electric fence pulse unit some 300 ft away that is on 24/7 so I get many signals from that.  I found the manual control adjustment range requires constant attention and I disabled the E field as it looks hopeless with the pulse noise.  I find that Tobi's auto adjustment methods are very under rated and produce a very good stroke rate.  The server is in control and sets the gains, sets interference mode and deals with the issues better than I can. So I don't win any awards for high efficiency but the stroke rate is what I base the detector performance on.  

[Image: index.php?graph_statistics=strikes_now&l...7&region=0]