Blitzortung.org Forum

Full Version: Ferrite rod N/S orientation and connection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just got my system Blue working. I have made an enclosure for the two ferrite rods. From other posts I will connect the knotted wires to the A-1 and B-1 terminals and the others to the A-2 and B-2.

The rods are 90 degrees to each other but which rod (A or B) has to point north/south? And by "point" I mean the long axis lies on the N/S line. Obviously the other will lie on E/W.

Nowhere can I find anything other than an annotated photo show the rods with E-W and N-S but it does not say which one goes to which terminal.

As we are are generating a vector of the strike direction which will be the sum of both of the rods' signals then I assume that it does matter.
It doesn't matter. The server will figure it out after awhile. You could even rotate them both 45° (or at any angle!).
(2018-10-27, 22:36)dgoadby Wrote: [ -> ]I have just got my system Blue working. I have made an enclosure for the two ferrite rods. From other posts I will connect the knotted wires to the A-1 and B-1 terminals and the others to the A-2 and B-2.

The rods are 90 degrees to each other but which rod (A or B) has to point north/south? And by "point" I mean the long axis lies on the N/S line. Obviously the other will lie on E/W.

Nowhere can I find anything other than an annotated photo show the rods with E-W and N-S but it does not say which one goes to which terminal.

As we are are generating a vector of the strike direction which will be the sum of both of the rods' signals then I assume that it does matter.
There are many folks that align channel  A (RED) as North and channel B (GREEN) as East. This really helps when tracking noise or other interference sources. Also when you post a picture of some interference and you followed this convention, folks might be able to tell you in which direction to look for the source.
Operation wise, it does not matter.

Quote:As we are are generating a vector of the strike direction which will be the sum of both of the rods' signals then I assume that it does matter.
The controller does not generate a vector of the signal received by the rods. All signals that exceed the threshold level, will be send to the BO server for processing. There together with other stations (minimum 7), the stroke location will be calculated.
(2018-10-28, 00:17)mwaters Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't matter. The server will figure it out after awhile. You could even rotate them both 45° (or at any angle!).

Thanks.