Blitzortung.org Forum

Full Version: New Project Blue request form?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am new here, so this question might have been asked before.Smile

Isnt the country of the one that requests is a little too vague. Wouldn't it be better to make something similar to Google Forms where users could input where they could set up the station with low but higher-than-country accuracy? Then you could select the areas which has the most need for new stations and narrow down the requests.

I have no experience with how the distribution of stations works at all, mostly wondering.
(2020-06-10, 18:25)7rst1 Wrote: [ -> ]Isnt the country of the one that requests is a little too vague. Wouldn't it be better to make something similar to Google Forms where users could input where they could set up the station with low but higher-than-country accuracy? Then you could select the areas which has the most need for new stations and narrow down the requests.

I have no experience with how the distribution of stations works at all, mostly wondering.

Requests for stations are made at http://en.blitzortung.org/cover_your_area.php, and get added to a list. The following is my current understanding of the situation.

A few months ago, Egon announced that he would look at that list and give preference to requests from areas of the world that don't have enough receiving stations, regardless of the chronological order of the requests.

What country are you located in, and what area of it do you propose setting up a new station? Some countries are so saturated (like Germany) that no station will be shipped there.

This may change at some point. I suggest that you search here for posts made by either Egon, Tobi, or one of the moderators (especially Cutty) because I may be wrong or leaving out details.

If you scroll down below the stations list on this public page, you can see the newest stations in Region 3 (the Americas).
I am located in Svarstad, Norway (59.40159, 9.96141) and see some strikes north and east of me that are not registered on the map. I really didn't want to make a post just to nag about getting a shipment, but I think a station here could be beneficial.
(2020-06-16, 19:27)7rst1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am located in Svarstad, Norway (59.40159, 9.96141) and see some strikes north and east of me that are not registered on the map. I really didn't want to make a post just to nag about getting a shipment, but I think a station here could be beneficial.

Ah! Egon will have to make the decision, but it sounds good to me.  Smile

Attached are two maps of your area that show where the active stations are in your region. (The white dots were recent strikes.)

The majority of active stations are either configured incorrectly or are in a noisy RF environment. The more local RFI (Radio Frequency Interference), the less sensitive a station is. Having said that, I didn't look at the performance statistics of any of these stations.

[attachment=4223] [attachment=4224]
(2020-06-16, 19:27)7rst1 Wrote: [ -> ]I am located in Svarstad, Norway (59.40159, 9.96141) and see some strikes north and east of me that are not registered on the map. I really didn't want to make a post just to nag about getting a shipment, but I think a station here could be beneficial.
7rst1, apologies for the delayed post.
Some background information. It all depends what type of lightning you are seeing, Cloud-Ground or Cloud-Cloud. The BO system detects both types  and send to the servers, but only Cloud-Ground are processed for display on the map due to its unique wave shape. So, if you see lightning and it is not on the map, chances are it might be a Cloud-Cloud.

I pulled this out of the database using your co-ordinates. This strike was 516Km north of your location and was detected by 206 stations.
[attachment=4225]

This picture shows the location and which stations registered the stroke.
[attachment=4226]

Yes, Egon posted that priority goes to areas with low installation counts.
I live in the outskirts of a small village, so I presume RF is no issue here. I also enjoy tinkering with electronics, maps and lightning, so thought receiving a detector could be a healthy mix of all of them! However, looking at the stats above, you don't seem to need one here, which I totally understand when seeing the stats you've given. I have nothing more to add, so case closed I guess.
Thanks for the responses anywaysSmile
I wouldn't say case closed.

Look at the most recent stations that were added in Europe at https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortun...le_network. Scroll down past the list of stations' statistics. Looks like there are several new ones in neighboring countries.

If you don't ask for one, your chances of getting your own station is zero. There is a long list of others waiting, so don't delay, my friend! Smile
True, i won't refuse in receiving one XD. I've already submitted in the form 2 years ago so I'll keep being patient Smile This forum-case closed *question-mark?*
But;F members just witnessed multiple lightning strikes they thought hit the ground and didn't register on the map west of us. I think coverage might be bad here.
See yellow arrow
[Image: xicdWYq_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]
"There is currently a problem with the calculations in Europe, we are working on it."
(2020-06-20, 21:44)7rst1 Wrote: [ -> ]I live in the outskirts of a small village, so I presume RF is no issue here. I also enjoy tinkering with electronics, maps and lightning, so thought receiving a detector could be a healthy mix of all of them! However, looking at the stats above, you don't seem to need one here, which I totally understand when seeing the stats you've given. I have nothing more to add, so case closed I guess.
Thanks for the responses anywaysSmile
7rst1, it looks like i came across wrong, apologies. I was not suggesting that your area is well covered, but rather that strokes are being picked up by stations much further away and displayed on the map. If you look closely at the map, you only see a couple of lines from stations in Norway.

I am happy to see you already registered on the list to order a station. Patience, your name to order will also come up, just like ours did.

Regards.
Today I signed up for a blue kit, and only now realized how big the cue is! In Brazil (5th largest country in the world) there are only 3 stations, in a region far from mine. I'm pitching this project to the agrisciences company I work for. So, I was wondering how much improvement would be country/region-wise installing 2-3 stations within a 50-300km radius?