Data access request: personal lightning map for CarPlay and Android Auto
#1
Hello Egon and the Blitzortung team,

I would like permission to use live lightning data in a personal hobby app. I do not plan to earn money from the app. It will have no advertisements or subscriptions. At first, I will be the only user.

The app would show my current location and recent lightning strikes on a map. The map would follow my location. I could also move the map and change its scale. Circles around each strike would show an estimate of how far the thunder sound has travelled.

I would like to use the app with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This depends on approval from Apple and Google and their display requirements. The purpose is to view lightning activity for personal interest. The app would not provide storm warnings or support safety decisions.

Could you please answer these questions?

1. May I use your live strike locations and times for this project?
2. Which data feed should I use?
3. What credit must I give to Blitzortung and its contributors?
4. What limits apply to connections, data storage, and requests? I can use my own server to limit traffic to your servers.
5. Is a private prototype allowed? Your external project rules say that apps must be freely accessible. Would I need to make this app available to everyone at no charge?
6. Must I operate a detector to get access, or can you grant permission without one?

Thank you for your time and for maintaining the network.
Reply
#2
Blitzortung is not a general-purpose public lightning-data service or API provider.

The network exists primarily for participating station operators and the cooperative lightning-location project itself. Its data is not offered as a general source for private applications, websites, hobby projects, research tools, AI-assisted projects, or other third-party services.

Publicly available Blitzortung maps and related services may be used where appropriate. Direct access to the underlying lightning data is not provided for general third-party use.

If your project requires a general source of lightning data for use in your own application or service, you should look to a provider whose purpose is to supply that type of data.



Stations: 2100, 2954
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)