Blitzortung.org Forum
General questions for a new system - Printable Version

+- Blitzortung.org Forum (https://forum.blitzortung.org)
+-- Forum: Public Forums (https://forum.blitzortung.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.blitzortung.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: General questions for a new system (/showthread.php?tid=1720)

General questions for a new system - flo_ww - 2016-06-06

Hello,

i play in my mind with the idea to participate to the network with a system blue. After study all the documents i very well informed. But there are some questions left who i didn´t find a answer what satisfy me. 

It´s planned to mount the system on top of the roof of a hall 50m x 50m with 15m height. The complete structure, including the roof, are mostly made of metal. There are not many electrical intereferences around, just some LED lamps inside the building. I don´t expect many noises from them.

I´m aware that i have to search a perfect place for the antenna a while. But maybe there is someone who already tried such kind of configuration and can give me a short information if these is possible or if it´s a complete disadvantage. From my HAM Radio experiences i know that metal below a Antenna can decide over sucess or failure. Thats the reason why i ask before i start with the project. 

There is one more thing, whats about the cable length between controller and amplifier? I have a suited place for the controller, but this require cabling length around 40m. Not sure if the system will work properly if i do that. Is there anybody who have some experiences about this? Somewhere i read about 30m as maximum. 

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Greetings from Germany

Flo

RE: General questions for a new system - RichoAnd - 2016-06-06

If you can use LW radio. You can also use the VLF antenna (Loop or Ferrite)
E-Field antenna must sit outside - You can use either H-Field or E-Field or both

As the cables to the antennas often sit near other cables that interfere, we I set a limit of 30m - If the cable is free for nearby cables, it can easily be 40-50m
The resistance of a wire in 50m cable is 4.2 ohms, so it makes no noticeable loss.

/Richo

RE: General questions for a new system - flo_ww - 2016-06-06

Hi Richo,

thanks for your reply. 

I´m really going for ferrit antenna for the H field. Of course, there is enough space on the roof, but i can´t go very high. The lightning rod are just 1,2m, so no place for a loop. Otherwise the lightning could strikes direkt the antenna... ok, also a form of detection Smile
There are no others antenna on the roof, because the same reason i wrote above. 

Cables lengths untill 50m sounds very good for me. No other cables next to it. Could work.

I think i give it a try. There is nothing better then a try and error experience Smile

RE: General questions for a new system - Joel - 2016-06-06

(2016-06-06, 13:06)RichoAnd Wrote: As the cables to the antennas often sit near other cables that interfere, we I set a limit of 30m - If the cable is free for nearby cables, it can easily be 40-50m
The resistance of a wire in 50m cable is 4.2 ohms, so it makes no noticeable loss.

When we speak about resistance, CAT 6 is still better : 22 AWG instead of 24 AWG. 
22 AWG = 52.96 mΩ/m
24 AWG = 84.22 mΩ/m

But according to what you write, there is no need to invest in expensive cables

RE: General questions for a new system - RichoAnd - 2016-06-06

No! as long it's shielded