Blitzortung.org Forum
Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions - Printable Version

+- Blitzortung.org Forum (https://forum.blitzortung.org)
+-- Forum: Public Forums (https://forum.blitzortung.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Forum: Hardware, Software, Lightning Physics (https://forum.blitzortung.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions (/showthread.php?tid=2534)

Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions - BassJohn - 2018-02-27

Hello,

I'm on the last legs of setting up my Blue system and have some questions.

1) On the pre-amp board are the connectors A-1,A-2 and B-1,B-2 relate to the vertical antennas?
2) On the pre-amp board is the connector C-1,C-2 for the optional horizontal antenna?
3) I intend to use my loop antenna I had on my Green system, Which I was under the impression it did not matter which way it pointed, is this still so?
4) On the Green system the loop antenna windings were wound in a certain direction, and had to be wired up to the Green pre-amp the correct way, is this still so for the Blue system, if so which end of the loop goes to which connector (1, 2) ?

Regards John

RE: Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions - allsorts - 2018-02-27

(2018-02-27, 18:38)BassJohn Wrote: Hello,

I'm on the last legs of setting up my Blue system and have some questions.

1) On the pre-amp board are the connectors A-1,A-2 and B-1,B-2 relate to the vertical antennas?
2) On the pre-amp board is the connector C-1,C-2 for the optional horizontal antenna?
3) I intend to use my loop antenna I had on my Green system, Which I was under the impression it did not matter which way it pointed, is this still so?
4) On the Green system the loop antenna windings were wound in a certain direction, and had to be wired up to the Green pre-amp the correct way, is this still so for the Blue system, if so which end of the loop goes to which connector (1, 2) ?

1) Yes.
2) Yes.

I'm unfamiliar with the Green system.

3) If that "loop antenna" is two loops at 90 degress to each other the combination is omni-directional. If it is a single loop that has a figure of eight polar pattern and some thought in it's algnment is required.
4) Polarity doesn't matter on Blue, though if you construct and wire it so you know which quadrant results in the same polarity signal from each loop you can get a vague indication in direction from the polarities.

RE: Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions - mwaters - 2018-02-27

(2018-02-27, 18:38)BassJohn Wrote: 1) On the pre-amp board are the connectors A-1,A-2 and B-1,B-2 relate to the vertical antennas?

Hello John,

Dave just beat me to it, but my answer was going to include a link to this documentation that explains a lot of what you asked.

3) It does not matter how you orient your antennas
4) It doesn't matter .

RE: Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions - cutty - 2018-02-27

arrggh. I got one-upped on replies, since I was posting on your duplicate thread... heh.. deleted that other thread.

1/2
A and B would be two 90° loops for Vertical Polarized signals.  C can be either a third Vertical Polarized loop,. with all three in Delta rather than 90°.  Or C could be a Horizontally Polarized Loop...
I assume you mean, as in N/S for e.g.... no it doesn't matter.
It makes no difference... the system doesn't care... If you wanted them phased together for signal analysis or something,
You'll find BLUE a totally different experience than Green.
Make sure when you activate your BLU, on your operator's page after login, that you enter the correct antenna types, size, shielded, transformer, whatever...  etc.... that's very important.
Inputs 0-2 are for H field signals.  Inputs 3-5 are for E Probe signals
input 0 = HA --- Input 1=HB --- Input 2=HC (or undefined if no antenna) -- Input 3=EA  (or undefined if no E Probe) ---  4/5 undefined- not used in System Blue... used in System RED.
dimensions are in millimeters
Welcome. and Enjoy!
Cheers!
Mike

RE: Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions - BassJohn - 2018-02-28

Hello,

Thank you everybody. I will get on with it now..

Regards John

RE: Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions - BassJohn - 2018-02-28

(2018-02-27, 22:35)mwaters Wrote:
(2018-02-27, 18:38)BassJohn Wrote: 1) On the pre-amp board are the connectors A-1,A-2 and B-1,B-2 relate to the vertical antennas?

Hello John,

Dave just beat me to it, but my answer was going to include a link to this documentation that explains a lot of what you asked.

3) It does not matter how you orient your antennas
4) It doesn't matter .

Hello,

Thank you

I did have a good read of the documentation before posting, however I struggled to locate what I was looking for.

John