Blitzortung.org Forum
Madeira Island - Printable Version

+- Blitzortung.org Forum (https://forum.blitzortung.org)
+-- Forum: Public Forums (https://forum.blitzortung.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://forum.blitzortung.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+--- Thread: Madeira Island (/showthread.php?tid=878)

Madeira Island - ecavaleiro - 2014-09-08

Hello all,

I saw that there aren't any stations yet in Madeira Island (Portugal). How many are necessary to get reasonable results for detections around the island? Is the island "big enough" for proper triangulation, as we are a bit far away from continental stations?

Best Regards,

Emanuel

RE: Madeira Island - mt007 - 2014-09-08

Welcome Emanuel,
Registe-se também neste fórum pois a equipa portuguesa do Blitzortung está lá quase toda:
http://www.meteopt.com/forum/instrumentos-meteorologicos/detector-de-trovoada-blitzortung-7268-14.html#post440503

Abc

RE: Madeira Island - Tobi - 2014-09-08

It might already work for strong strikes with just a single station on Madeira in combination with some other stations far away, but the efficiency and accuracy would be low.

It might also work when installing at least 4-6 stations on good positions (far away from each other). The stations should already be capable to receive such very close strokes on low gain, maybe with some firmware adjustments. But so far no guarantee for anything.

RE: Madeira Island - RichoAnd - 2014-09-08

(2014-09-08, 18:20)ecavaleiro Wrote: Hello all,

I saw that there aren't any stations yet in Madeira Island (Portugal). How many are necessary to get reasonable results for detections around the island? Is the island "big enough" for proper triangulation, as we are a bit far away from continental stations?

Best Regards,

Emanuel

A station on Madeira would be a great help
I wonder if the Canary Islands soon participate?
I have drawn a circle with radius of 700km to see whats near - Portugal, Canarian Islands, Spain
Also see what I receive

RE: Madeira Island - ecavaleiro - 2014-09-09

(2014-09-08, 20:49)Tobi Wrote: It might already work for strong strikes with just a single station on Madeira in combination with some other stations far away, but the efficiency and accuracy would be low.

It might also work when installing at least 4-6 stations on good positions (far away from each other). The stations should already be capable to receive such very close strokes on low gain, maybe with some firmware adjustments. But so far no guarantee for anything.

Hello Tobi,

My idea would be to install maybe 5 station along the main island and another one in the neighbour island, Porto Santo. Please see the attached map. I work for the Madeira Electricity Power company and i have access to facilities (substations) across the island, and we are interested in doing some experiences with your system.
Please give me some feedback regarding the proposed configuration and the kind of results we should expect from it.
Note: most thunderstorms are expected to come from the west and we would like to see them coming in advance.

Best Regards,

Emanuel

RE: Madeira Island - Tobi - 2014-09-09

Yes, such a constellation would be possible. However, especially in western direction the opening angle will be very small so the detection efficiency will not be optimal even very close to the western coast. But strikes in general will be visible, especially with help from stations far away, like Richo already mentioned.

RE: Madeira Island - RichoAnd - 2014-09-09

I can see the idea that you have control of the installed stations, but try to contact people/weather stations in the Canary Islands - you will be able to help each other

(2014-09-09, 09:37)Tobi Wrote: Yes, such a constellation would be possible. However, especially in western direction the opening angle will be very small so the detection efficiency will not be optimal even very close to the western coast. But strikes in general will be visible, especially with help from stations far away, like Richo already mentioned.

What about the Azores islands, would they be helpfull as well, or are they just too far way? 950 km to the nortwest (S.Miguel island).

RE: Madeira Island - Tobi - 2014-09-09

Like Madeira, a station on the Azores Islands will help to cover more area of the Atlantic ocean. A station there would be really great.

(2014-09-09, 12:22)Tobi Wrote: Like Madeira, a station on the Azores Islands will help to cover more area of the Atlantic ocean. A station there would be really great.

What i mean is does the Azores can help Madeira and the other way around, despite the distance? I know people from the Azores and i can try to convince them to join the project.

RE: Madeira Island - b.e.wilson - 2014-09-09

This is a network: everybody helps everybody else. It requires 4 different stations to locate a lightning strike. More strikes are identified if there are more stations in the region.

RE: Madeira Island - Ggy888 - 2015-01-15

What about the Azores islands, would they be helpfull as well, or are they just too far way? 950 km to the nortwest

----------------------------------------
goldlclub
genting
คาสิโนออนไลน์
holiday palace

RE: Madeira Island - Tobi - 2015-01-15

Azores would be great for a better coverage of the Atlantic Ocean in general. Smile