Hello from Canada
Discovered this site a couple of months ago when I was looking for information on lightning. I'm amazed how lightning can be detected at such long distances, and how fast it can be displayed. As well how many strikes some areas receive during a storm. Now whenever we have a weather system come through I check the weather radar then this site to see the lightning activity we might expect.

Myself and a few of my friends are amateur radio operators (Hams) and also members of Canwarn, (volunteer severe weather spotting and reporting program) from what I've read this a similar to Skywarn Europe. I sent them link for this site and we have been discussing the possibility of setting up a detection system. Its something we might like to do in as a group project in the future.

Great site and thank you to the founder and the volunteers who developed, support and maintain this web site.

Regards
Joe
(2016-07-08, 23:24)Rumble Wrote: Discovered this site a couple of months ago when I was looking for information on lightning. I'm amazed how lightning can be detected at such long distances, and how fast it can be displayed. As well how many strikes some areas receive during a storm. Now whenever we have a weather system come through I check the weather radar then this site to see the lightning activity we might expect.

Myself and a few of my friends are amateur radio operators (Hams) and also members of Canwarn, (volunteer severe weather spotting and reporting program) from what I've read this a similar to Skywarn Europe. I sent them link for this site and we have been discussing the possibility of setting up a detection system. Its something we might like to do in as a group project in the future.

Great site and thank you to the founder and the volunteers who developed, support and maintain this web site.

Regards
Joe

Here is the coverage map.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/extra/coverage?lang=en

Depending where you are located in Canada you may be able to get on the list with a higher priority.

They are looking to put more detectors in underrepresented areas.
(2016-07-09, 01:49)kevinmcc Wrote:
(2016-07-08, 23:24)Rumble Wrote: Discovered this site a couple of months ago when I was looking for information on lightning. I'm amazed how lightning can be detected at such long distances, and how fast it can be displayed. As well how many strikes some areas receive during a storm. Now whenever we have a weather system come through I check the weather radar then this site to see the lightning activity we might expect.

Regards
Joe

Depending where you are located in Canada you may be able to get on the list with a higher priority.

Hi there!
A station here in Manitoba! we could ALWAYS use more stations, especially the big gap in sask! Check out the "cover your area" to set up a station!
Stations: 1382

Regards
Joe

I've been a weather enthusiast since early 1950s, and my first fascination was with radar. 

But having gotten started with a Boltek and now this system, it has added a whole new dimension to observation, watching storms move through, and so on.

I'd think a similar excitement would be instilled in your group if you got a station up and running, which is still not plug and play but very much related to amateur interests in antennas, kit construction, etc.  The two go well and run in most ham's veins.

Hope to see your group get a station on the network.
Dale
K9ELD
Stations: 976, 1505
(2016-08-23, 22:54)khartley Wrote:
(2016-07-09, 01:49)kevinmcc Wrote:

Regards
Joe

Hi there!
A station here in Manitoba! we could ALWAYS use more stations, especially the big gap in sask! Check out the "cover your area" to set up a station!

(2016-08-25, 01:04)Dale.Reid Wrote:

Regards
Joe

I've been a weather enthusiast since early 1950s, and my first fascination was with radar. 

But having gotten started with a Boltek and now this system, it has added a whole new dimension to observation, watching storms move through, and so on.

I'd think a similar excitement would be instilled in your group if you got a station up and running, which is still not plug and play but very much related to amateur interests in antennas, kit construction, etc.  The two go well and run in most ham's veins.

Hope to see your group get a station on the network.
Dale
K9ELD

Hello Kevinmcc
Yes there there sure is a vast gap from your station to others, unfortunately I can't help in you area. I'm in Ontario on the north shore of lake Ontario. There is a station about 60 km north, one 65 km west and one about 115 km across the lake and one to the east about 400 km in Montreal. So my area has some coverage. I have my name in and will see if I qualify for a station.

Hello Dale
The fellow hams I've told this to are all interested in setting up a system. We have talked about were we would set it up if we got one. Our clubs repeater site (2m, 440 and 6m) was one of the first places we thought of as it has high speed internet and ups/generator power backup. However from what I've been reading, the radios would cause too much interference. We could mount the antennas far from the shack but how far is enough?  So it would be located most likely at one of our houses.  

You mention not plug and play, would it be similar to setting up an APRS Digi or I-gate? That is if you are familiar with APRS. This required assembling a TT4 GPS position encoder kit and loading firmware and adjust the operating parameters and interfacing to the internet.

73 Joe

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data and government useage (canada) khartley 0 7,422 2017-02-07, 01:35
Last Post: khartley
  Interesting strikes in Canada where there's no storm! khartley 3 19,682 2016-08-29, 12:34
Last Post: Tobi