Registered, but faaarrrrr down the list
Hi all,

Have you, per chance, considered a map showing areas of interest?

I've just indicated my interest in a receiver (I want to put together the whole shebang), but it might (at rank 2347) be years before I'll reach the "interested" point. I can fully understand if you have an area flooded with receivers that it will prove of no further value getting another, but there is nothing on the site (that I found) to indicate whether there is value in registering interest.

Yours,
Marc
(Milton Keynes, UK)
(2017-06-06, 12:51)MarcDek Wrote: Hi all,

Have you, per chance, considered a map showing areas of interest?

I've just indicated my interest in a receiver (I want to put together the whole shebang), but it might (at rank 2347) be years before I'll reach the "interested" point. I can fully understand if you have an area flooded with receivers that it will prove of no further value getting another, but there is nothing on the site (that I found) to indicate whether there is value in registering interest.

Yours,
Marc
(Milton Keynes, UK)

You can view a coverage map at http://www.lightningmaps.org/extra/coverage

The network WANTS as many stations as possible, no matter what the area!
Keep your interest up! You may not be aware of it, but this system would be
beautiful if all locations were 'noise free', using the same exact antennas, e.g. and stations were
50 KM or less distant from each other, and set to run detection <1000 KM or so!
Remember that no station is independent... it's a NETWORK... more stations, more coverage
the more accurate, more reliable, it becomes!
in any given area at any given time, stations will be 'offline' or
in designed interference mode, and high station density is important!

So keep your interest alive!
Not every one on the list will actually place an order!
The number of requests from 'no' or 'low' coverage areas isn't that high!

Kits are prepared with these general priorities, however...
1.  Replacement of an older GREEN system.
2.  Replacement of a damaged or failed RED or BLUE system.
3.  Orders to areas of no or low station density / coverage
  3a.  The occasional special inquiry from a scientific or research institution such as NASA, ESA, NOAA, etc
4.  NEW Orders actually made from the 'interest' list in order of date received.

Remember that BLITZORTUNG is an evolving, experimental scientific project, not a 'commercial' system.
Once in awhile, a production run will have a modification, or design change, which may 'delay' shipments a few weeks, especially if firmware updates are necessary... some runs may require a brief 'operational' test before shipping begins...  the next run, for example, will have a slight modification in component placement, but 'field testing' isn't likely required.

Cheers!

Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
Mike,

Thanks for the detailed response - much appreciated.

Thanks too for the link to the map.

My interest will remain, that I can assure you of, especially as I come from a country (SA) where lightning was the order of the day - I am actually very experienced in lightning protection. I'm glad I am as not long ago, a house about 100 metres away from ours lost its roof to lightning (I was in my lab - ok, garage converted into a lab - when the strike clobbered; grief, it was loud!). Lost no equipment of my own.

I'm also well versed in noise, and it will be interesting to see if I can get the noise levels to an acceptable level.

Anyway, I await the notification of the chance to purchase.

All the best,
Marc.
(2017-06-06, 14:59)MarcDek Wrote: Mike,

Thanks for the detailed response - much appreciated.

Thanks too for the link to the map.

My interest will remain, that I can assure you of, especially as I come from a country (SA) where lightning was the order of the day - I am actually very experienced in lightning protection. I'm glad I am as not long ago, a house about 100 metres away from ours lost its roof to lightning (I was in my lab - ok, garage converted into a lab - when the strike clobbered; grief, it was loud!). Lost no equipment of my own.

I'm also well versed in noise, and it will be interesting to see if I can get the noise levels to an acceptable level.

Anyway, I await the notification of the chance to purchase.

All the best,
Marc.

You might find these links, and that forum board interesting... join us there:
Noise as we learned to live with it in the Americas :
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=20439.0
Link to the board itself...
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=115.0
You'd have to register as member to see any imagery that is 'attached' though a lot is imbedded...
Though most of the discussions relate to "learning system RED", the principles apply to BLUE
just some of the specs and design discussion is slightly different. You'll be ready for anything
if you digest that board... also when you get active, you'll have access to the internal boards
here at BT forum, where discussions take a different flavor as opposed to this "Public" board.

Cheers!
Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020