Strange goings on - started at 00:00 Oct 30 2022
Earlier this afternoon I discovered that my system ( 1890, system blue ) went offline at 00:00 on Oct 30 2022. Logging in to the box showed everything was working EXCEPT for GPS. Checking the GPS antenna, and trying another antenna, made no difference. The GPS light is off, and it shows as no GPS detected. Rebooting the box made no difference - GPS seems to be totally dead.

It was at this time that I discovered that according to the lightning maps, at least half of the detector sites in Australia seemed to have gone offline at the same time (00:00 on Oct 30, 2022).

This seems like a very unlikely coincidence!

The Blitzortung.org lightning map is also showing almost no lightning AT ALL in the Australian region, despite large numbers of severe thunderstorms currently active in several parts of the country - including a row of storms within 500km of my location!
What could be the cause of all this? How could more than half the detectors in the region go offline at the same time?  Huh

I managed to get my 2nd unit (2979) operational, and it seems to be working correctly. GPS has (finally) reached 95% availability - took well over 3 hours to do so....

Mick.

Thread closed... operator / developer discussion continues internal forum:
https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=3648
-admin-
Stations: 1890, 2979
Hello
I have the same problem (Poland - 2070).
Looks like the problem is on PCB 19.4 and earlier.

PCB 19.5 is working fine.
Stations: 414, 2070
Since this night I also have a GPS problem. The log show every second that the year is not bewteen 2013 and 2031.
Did a reboot several time but does not work.

System Blue FW 9.2 / PCB 19/3 ID5/1
Station ID 1582

CHeers
Hardy
73 de Hartmut / DK5LH

Stations: 1582
Year not between 2013 and 2031 in the log.

Strange.
Stations: 1515
(2022-10-30, 08:22)mzseast Wrote: Earlier this afternoon I discovered that my system ( 1890, system blue ) went offline at 00:00 on Oct 30 2022. Logging in to the box showed everything was working EXCEPT for GPS. Checking the GPS antenna, and trying another antenna, made no difference. The GPS light is off, and it shows as no GPS detected. Rebooting the box made no difference - GPS seems to be totally dead.

It was at this time that I discovered that according to the lightning maps, at least half of the detector sites in Australia seemed to have gone offline at the same time (00:00 on Oct 30, 2022).

This seems like a very unlikely coincidence!

The Blitzortung.org lightning map is also showing almost no lightning AT ALL in the Australian region, despite large numbers of severe thunderstorms currently active in several parts of the country - including a row of storms within 500km of my location!
What could be the cause of all this? How could more than half the detectors in the region go offline at the same time?  Huh

I managed to get my 2nd unit (2979) operational, and it seems to be working correctly. GPS has (finally) reached 95% availability - took well over 3 hours to do so....

Mick.

Mick,
The GPS for my station 2118 also went off at 00:00 on Oct 30, 2022. Location: Victoria, Australia.
Board Blue 19.4 @ firmware version 8.4.

Rob.
Stations: 2118
Same here since 1 hour. GPS fails. (Station located in Austria)
Hardware: PCB 19.4

Blue LED is blinking. About 2sek on, 2 sek off. No valid Timesignal.
Stations: 2116
The problem is in the GMM-G3 GPS module. Sends correct coordinates, altitude, current time.
Unfortunately, this data is contained in GPGGA and has an incorrect checksum (0000) than in the documentation for this module.
I suppose we will need a new firmware for the GMM-G3 or a new firmware for "Blitzortung.org Controller" which will not check that the checksum is correct.
Stations: 414, 2070
I have the same problem since some days.
The UK underwent a clock change lastnight and I wonder is the daylight savings stuff has messed up with some of users/servers. Meanwhile it might be helpfull if you state.

System?
PCB?
Firmware?
Ublox M8, whare ROM core are you running?

My Blue(19.5), FW9.2, with a ublox M8 running 3.01 ROM seems to be working fine for now.
--
Station 2828 - LM or BT
Stations: 2828
Just looking at the number on units out for the moment. Yikes, virtually anything blue older then 19.5 and its not working.

Not sure how hard it is to update the firmware,

.pdf   AirPrime_GMM_G3_XA11xx_and_XM11xx_Software_User_Guide_Rev4_0.pdf (Size: 717.02 KB / Downloads: 1)

This seems to be the current version,
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resour...Z3jRq.dpbs

Attached are the GMM-G3 and GMM-G3(B) firmware files.

.bin   AXN5.1.1_8526_3333_96.1151100.1.bin (Size: 626.81 KB / Downloads: 0)

.bin   AXN5.1.1_8525_3333_1152.1151100.1.bin (Size: 638.24 KB / Downloads: 0)
--
Station 2828 - LM or BT
Release notes for the GMM-G3,

.pdf   AirPrime_GMM_G3_XA_and_XM_Series_Firmware_5_1_1_Customer_Release_Note_Rev2_0.pdf (Size: 252.04 KB / Downloads: 2)

DataSheet,

.pdf   GMM-G3 Datasheet.pdf (Size: 1.85 MB / Downloads: 1)

I have the files downloaded if people want them I can host them on the net to save you trying to register just to look at them.
--
Station 2828 - LM or BT
(2022-10-30, 17:08)mendip_defender Wrote: Release notes for the GMM-G3,

DataSheet,

I have the files downloaded if people want them I can host them on the net to save you trying to register just to look at them.

Thank you Mendip, 
but i can only see [attachment...] but no more information.

I´m really hoping, that Egon or Tobi are responding to this issue. Just like they did it in the beginning of this wonderful project.
Unfortunatly it became more and more quiet the last years...

So Egon, Tobi, we really appreciate your help. If the blitzortung project would come to an end, it would be nice to run the receivers only as NTP-servers. but right now, even this functionality isn´t warranted,

greez de oe3maa
Stations: 2116
Until a forum admin turns up the attachments will just be hidden. I might just upload them to the net and maybe someone with some time might be able to work out the way that you can upgrade the firmware.

The other idea that wafted through my brain was how hard would it be to swap put for the ublox M8 which can be found for £25 on digikey.
--
Station 2828 - LM or BT
Station 2002, Warwickshire, UK here. System Blue PCB 19.3

Can't give you the full specs as the system is now offline...

Same GPS problem for me, spotted just after the clock change 30th Oct 2022. I checked the local address to see how the system had reacted to the clock change. I noticed the GPS fault at that time.

I researched the GPS issue today and saw some 2016 posts about dry joints. In my haste to fix a potential solder joint issue, it looks like I've bust my System Blue. I now just get horrendous interference mode instead. As well as the "year is not between 2013 and 2031" error a lot of us are starting to see.

Now I see it may just be a firmware bug for the GPS issue. Fingers crossed.

I'll keep an eye on the forum moving forward, but I hope I was the only one who possibly screwed their system trying to fix a hardware problem that didn't exist in the first place. Doh!
Stations: 2002
Hope it will be fixed as soon as possible. Missed snow thunderstorm today due to system failure :<
Stations: 2891
Same issue, GPS stopped working.

PCB 19.4, FW 9.2
Hello

The same troubles here with station 1671. Exchanging the GPS antenna, restarting the system, rebooting . . . no change, still no GPS signal and no tracking.
I suggest a server problem. Why is there no reaction/information from the server administration?
Cheers Hans
Cheers Hans
Stations: 1671
(2022-10-31, 09:15)hazet_CHAM Wrote: The same troubles here with station 1671. Exchanging the GPS antenna, restarting the system, rebooting . . . no change, still no GPS signal and no tracking.
I suggest a server problem. Why is there no reaction/information from the server administration?
Cheers Hans

GPS needs an firmware update. Nothing wrong with the servers.
--
Station 2828 - LM or BT
Dear all,

we also see the problem. Unfortunately, the problem does not occur with my own station. But it seems to be probably a firmware error in some older GPS modules. We'll do more research before we recommend anything.

Regards,
Egon
Stations: 2656
(2022-10-31, 11:52)Egon Wrote: Dear all,

we also see the problem. Unfortunately, the problem does not occur with my own station. But it seems to be probably a firmware error in some older GPS modules. We'll do more research before we recommend anything.

Regards,
Egon

Closed this public thread, ... Please see
Topic in INTERNAL forum,
https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=3648

Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020