Launch of System Blue delayed
The launch of System Blue is shifted. Due to various problems mainly concerning the workload of the developers, we can not realize the detector within the promised time span. In order to work more relaxed, we do not announce a new date at which the system will be available.

The original intention was to offer a partially configured system in the middle of this year. This announcement probably was made too enthusiastic. In addition to the development of the circuits, the production of an assembled boards, and the test of the new detectors there are further tasks we have to manage. This concerns also the way how to distribute such a system in the future, because we are not a company.

Further news about System Blue will be published on our website soon. Questions about the continuation of distributing System Red boards can be discussed in the forum.

I would like to remember that Blitzortung.org primarily is a community of interests consisting of voluntary persons who are particularly engaged in the technical realization of lightning detectors. That means, each participant should always be able to build certain parts by itself, should understand the functioning, and should be able to adjust the station with respect to its local environment. This will also be necessary for all future systems and is very important for the antenna system. The coming detecting systems also will not be a plug & play system.

Thank you for your understanding.
Lightning Egon
Stations: 2656
Hi Egon, hi developers.

As I understood, the system BLUE will be completely with SMDs. Maybe this is the problem for the shifted launch.

I'm able to solder SMDs, I have an special soldering oven. If the amount of PCBs are not too much, then I can populate some boards.

If you are interested, leave a message to me.

Thomas
First station in Namibia (Southern Africa), look at #1305 !
Stations: 1006, 1305
(2015-07-07, 15:08)Egon Wrote: The coming detecting systems also will not be a plug & play system.

I guess you do not even want to sell a p&p product. Because than you have to take care about CE markings, radio regulations, warranty, ...

On the other side: once you are in jail, you 'd have plenty of time .... Big Grin
Egon,

dont' mess up your brilliant idea.

Come out of your corner, you nerd developers, and put the whole thing on a broader basis.

Lots of skilled people out there. Share!

Fruitless remark, though.

Cheers
Detlef
Sad
**but I'll wait**
Please just be patient. We know what we're doing. The hardware is just a small part of the project.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
To: Tobi, Egon, Richo, and all of the developers,

Thank you for all that you have done and are doing regarding this hobby. I patiently await the arrival of System Blue, in whatever form it is in.

Sincerely,

John Sacrey
Station: 1387
Stations: 1387
(2015-07-09, 11:14)Tobi Wrote: Please just be patient. We know what we're doing. The hardware is just a small part of the project.

If the problem is lack of "blue", I'm sure we have some around somewhere we can send.
Stations: 1013
(2015-07-11, 11:22)Jonathan.Williams Wrote:
(2015-07-09, 11:14)Tobi Wrote: Please just be patient. We know what we're doing. The hardware is just a small part of the project.

If the problem is lack of "blue", I'm sure we have some around somewhere we can send.

There was a very popular song / instrumental back about 1968... originally by a French gentleman-Andre Popp...
the most popular in the US... here
(click blue board to play)
[Image: blue%20proto-S.jpg]

and the ascribed lyrics were something like

Blue, blue, my world is blue
Blue is my world now I'm without you
Gray, gray, my life is gray
Cold is my heart since you went away
Red, red, my eyes are red
Crying for you alone in my bed
Green, green, my jealous heart
I doubted you and now we're apart
When we met how the bright sun shone
Then love died, now the rainbow is gone
Black, black, the nights I've known
Longing for you so lost and alone
Gone, gone, the love we knew
Blue is my world now I'm without you.

Sigh,... but if we're patient... Big Grin

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
That makes a lot of SMD stuff  Big Grin
Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601
Smile  

For a moment I feared it was "Bye bye bluebird"  Smile

Bye bye bluebird, Bye bye bluebird
You were lots of fun to know
But I have to let you go
Bye bye bluebird, Bye bye bluebird
You're the flyin' saucer kind
In and out and hard to find
Bye bye bluebird
Bye bye bluebird
Bye bye bluebird
Bye bye bluebird
Stations: 584, 585, 2017
Stations: 92, 1563
(2015-07-11, 12:41)Cutty Wrote:

There was a very popular song / instrumental back about 1968... originally by a French gentleman-Andre Popp...

This music is soooo very cheesy.... It should be reserved for the next next system Yellow!. 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Stations: 711, 1351
(2015-07-12, 12:02)Gerhard.Wittevee Wrote:
(2015-07-11, 12:41)Cutty Wrote:

This music is soooo very cheesy.... It should be reserved for the next next system Yellow!. 
aaahhhh but you never snuggled close with it playing on the car radio ... Angel  some of us are old... sigh, but... .

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2015-07-12, 12:25)Cutty Wrote: aaahhhh but you never snuggled close with it playing on the car radio ... Angel  some of us are old... sigh, but... .

I did - In 1968 I was 20, had a Citroên 2CW and a small tape recorder placed in it.
It was a conventionally tape, and music received from "Radio Luxemborg" 
Jeans, long hair, slim t-shirt and a Gauloises cigarette in my month, playing drums in a rock-band - it was me Smile

From the play-list I remember ... Smile

The Mamas & The Papas - "Monday Monday" and "California dreaming"
The Troggs - Wild Thing and "With A Girl Like You"
Procol Harum "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" 
The Animals  "The House of the Rising Sun"
Maybe we should get back on topic again? Wink

Just that you can see, that there is ongoing development, here another PCB. We are currently testing several proof-of-concept designs. The PCB below is some sort of all-in-one solution, with some additional gimmicks (like TFT-LCD). So far it is only for testing purposes! The final product may look completely different and with less/different features.

Yesterday I finished test of a new 30cm loop antenna

It performs better than my 90cm Möbius copper loop antenna for System RED.
I use the new Differential Preamplifier in front of a RED H-Field amplifier

Based on images, it seems that this chip is "the heart" of a new System Blue, am I right ? :-)
http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/mmc/FM1...6/PF255419

...thanks for images. I keep following a updates of the new system :-)
(2015-07-12, 21:41)tkuhmone Wrote: Based on images, it seems that this chip is "the heart" of a new System Blue, am I right ? :-)
http://www.st.com/web/en/catalog/mmc/FM1...6/PF255419

...thanks for images. I keep following a updates of the new system :-)

Yes, it's almost fixed that it will be some of the STM32F427xxx series (F429 is not necessary).
Patiently waiting for the opportunity to add Charlotte, North Carolina to the network.  This will expand coverage for Western and Central NC, Northern SC, Eastern TN, NE Georgia, plus a second active station in NC for correlation.  

I am a retired IBM Senior Scientist/Computer Engineer and an Extra Class ham radio operator.  I expect to have my system up 24/7 except for times of NWS Thunderstorm Warning.

Best regards to the Team,

Ben - WB2RHM