Becomming a member without a station
Hi all,

I want to create for my home area (Bavaria, Germany) a map showing the lightning. This is for my own purpose - any I want to skip the advertisement and other "trash".

After reading through all, I am under the impression, that I need to install a station, to get the access to the data.

My question: Is there another way to become a member without building up a station. ... on donation basis or ?!?!?

To say it: For my own home purposes - Congratulations for this very active community.

Best regards
Michael
I feel your pain.  Having waited on the list for more than four years, I too find it frustrating.  Not certain what the delay is all about.  If they need more resources to print boards, let us know.  We can help.  If they need more resources for Internet or hosting, let us know.  We can help.  I'm ready and willing to build a station to participate in the network -- but I'm mostly here because I want to play with the data. 

We have a local spotter network in southern Minnesota (Steele County SKYWARN).  All of us are volunteers -- donating our time and resources because we love weather and we care about our community. Most of us are HAMs.  Including lightning data from Blitzortung on our website would be fun and educational.  But apparently I can't have access to the data unless I'm a member of the network.  So.... we wait.   Sad
(2018-07-06, 12:48)martmiwp Wrote: Hi all,

I want to create for my home area (Bavaria, Germany) a map showing the lightning. This is for my own purpose - any I want to skip the advertisement and other "trash".

After reading through all, I am under the impression, that I need to install a station, to get the access to the data.

My question: Is there another way to become a member without building up a station. ... on donation basis or ?!?!?

To say it: For my own home purposes - Congratulations for this very active community.

Best regards
Michael

ITnavMan  check your email. Big Grin

martmiwp
Such maps are already available in some fashion beginning on the two websites, Blitzortung.org, and Lightnings.org and possibly some operators' or Regional BT authorized websites. Blitzortung is a VERY expensive project to implement, worldwide, and the small amount of revenue generated by the ads is very important

Access to the data is restricted to data providers only -- with exception of a couple of major research and scientific institutions  

Operators have access to data necessary to 'create a map'... but this is not provided to other agencies.  That is designed to be an inducement to become an operator, but more importantly, 3rd party folks often DO NOT understand the 'experimental' 'hobbyist' nature of the project, misrepresent the data as, for example 'official', which it is not, fail to credit the data properly, or use it in commercial applications, which is a strict NO NO.  The rights to the data belong to the operators and Blitzortung Org.

For example, https://sferics.us is a Blitzortung 'authorized' Regional Network website, using some of the data.. but in very specific and restricted ways.

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie wants to contact a nearby Member Moonbouncer 4 24,369 2018-10-29, 00:08
Last Post: cutty
  New Form Member Questions txniteowl 3 20,826 2015-07-21, 03:40
Last Post: JamesPatterson
  Member Forum Uli.Hofer 6 33,266 2015-07-18, 13:40
Last Post: Uli.Hofer