A few questions!
Hi, was researching into how to use a raspberry pi for a weather station when I stumbled across this site. This is definitely a project I am interested in and have yet to see a station in Central Scotland! I expect I will see a fair delay before kits are available again, I'm sure I can wait!

I have filled out the email form for further information however have not had a reply (granted it was only 24 hours ago) will I be waiting until after the summer break for a reply?

I have had a look but cannot find a UK sub section or forum , is there one?
Just be patient. As soon as we have some information about the end of our summer break, we will inform you on the website and/or here in the forum.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2014-07-14, 19:18)wheniwake Wrote: Hi, was researching into how to use a raspberry pi for a weather station when I stumbled across this site. This is definitely a project I am interested in and have yet to see a station in Central Scotland! I expect I will see a fair delay before kits are available again, I'm sure I can wait!

I have filled out the email form for further information however have not had a reply (granted it was only 24 hours ago) will I be waiting until after the summer break for a reply?

wheniwake,
It would be great to see you joining us Scottish contingent of stations. You would make a great contribution to the network. I am sited in Errol (between Perth and Dundee).

Chris
Stations: 777, 887
(2014-07-14, 21:48)carseman Wrote:
(2014-07-14, 19:18)wheniwake Wrote: Hi, was researching into how to use a raspberry pi for a weather station when I stumbled across this site. This is definitely a project I am interested in and have yet to see a station in Central Scotland! I expect I will see a fair delay before kits are available again, I'm sure I can wait!

wheniwake,
It would be great to see you joining us Scottish contingent of stations. You would make a great contribution to the network. I am sited in Errol (between Perth and Dundee).

Chris
I really would love to get involved! Fingers crossed I can get my hands on a kit this year.
(2014-07-14, 21:48)carseman Wrote:

wheniwake,

Chris
It will be good just joining the small number of us in the whole of the UK and Ireland :-)

Mark (in mid Suffolk)
Stations: 700
Got the dreaded email , no stock for some time. Time to wait I guess.
Really is something I want to get involved in so I will have to wait , keep looking at the map and then checking the current weather in those areas haha anyone else do that initially?

I think I'll potentially need to get some local help with building, where as networking and computing has always been a strong point, my electrical building skills have not been used for some years! I have followed schematics and built projects from components before, but I think something this complex would take me a long long time!

As I work offshore, seeing the lightning around the Aberdeen area and then checking the airport weather which showed heavy rain and lightning. Exciting!
Maybe using this map I can finally get some lightning photography.
I know it's not fun to hear, but be patient! The systems being sent right now (system red) are a relatively new design, and much more capable than those that were available previously. The developers are working to make full use of those capabilities, and are focusing on that at this point. By the time you receive a station (it won't be that long), the firmware and network will be even more capable.
Stations: 1013
I know. Nothing I can do. Any prep work I could get on with? I will be setting up an RPI as a wireless bridge to connect up the system. If that fails I've got a dd-wrt set up router which can be located to my garage.
(2014-07-16, 19:05)wheniwake Wrote: I know. Nothing I can do. Any prep work I could get on with? I will be setting up an RPI as a wireless bridge to connect up the system. If that fails I've got a dd-wrt set up router which can be located to my garage.

I know of people who have gone ahead and constructed H-field ferrite probes for their systems. Nice (and inexpensive) designs can be found here:

Home-made ferrite antennas

Also, some pre-work can be done for siting a system using e.g. AM radios or, if you're really dedicated (and have spare cash), VLF E- and H-field receivers/meters...
Stations: 1013
(2014-07-16, 19:09)Jonathan.Williams Wrote:
(2014-07-16, 19:05)wheniwake Wrote: I know. Nothing I can do. Any prep work I could get on with? I will be setting up an RPI as a wireless bridge to connect up the system. If that fails I've got a dd-wrt set up router which can be located to my garage.

I know of people who have gone ahead and constructed H-field ferrite probes for their systems. Nice (and inexpensive) designs can be found here:

Home-made ferrite antennas

Also, some pre-work can be done for siting a system using e.g. AM radios or, if you're really dedicated (and have spare cash), VLF E- and H-field receivers/meters...

Additionally, if you haven't already done so, join the WXFORUM and read through the Blitzortung threads at http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=115.0, especially those at the top of the list that have been made into stickies. There is an incredible amount of information, including assembly documents and troubleshooting suggestions. The more you read, the more you will understand the systems being used.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808
Hoping to get a station up and running in central England (near Newcastle) after the summer break.

Andrew
(2014-07-20, 13:59)AndrewNorman Wrote: Hoping to get a station up and running in central England (near Newcastle) after the summer break.

Andrew

Andrew,
Is it "on Tyne" or "under Lyme" ? Either way, it would be great to see another UK station up and running.

Chris
Actually .. closer to Leeds than Newcastle.
(2014-07-20, 17:32)AndrewNorman Wrote: Actually .. closer to Leeds than Newcastle.

That is still a very useful position for a new site. Both you and wheniwake (in central Scotland) will improve coverage tremendously.

Chris
Will just standby and wait for the update on the website. Fingers crossed !