Lightning Data Access
Hello there.

I'm a college student in my senior year looking to complete my research to acquire my degree.  My research project revolves around lightning strike forecasting and the verification of those forecasting products.  I'm looking for a way to access the lightning strike database this community has built over the years.  I see that I can pull down some imagery of the various strikes, but I really would like to have the raw strike data so that I may plot it versus another data source.

It looks like only contributors are allowed access to this data.  My question is do I need to have an active lightning detector to be a contributor or can I donate towards the cause?  I've been wanting a System BLUE for some time now and I'm on the waiting list to get one.   

If there's any questions regarding my request please let me know.
(2018-02-27, 16:03)GHinchey Wrote: Hello there.

I'm a college student in my senior year looking to complete my research to acquire my degree.  My research project revolves around lightning strike forecasting and the verification of those forecasting products.  I'm looking for a way to access the lightning strike database this community has built over the years.  I see that I can pull down some imagery of the various strikes, but I really would like to have the raw strike data so that I may plot it versus another data source.

It looks like only contributors are allowed access to this data.  My question is do I need to have an active lightning detector to be a contributor or can I donate towards the cause?  I've been wanting a System BLUE for some time now and I'm on the waiting list to get one.   

If there's any questions regarding my request please let me know.

Hi,

here you can find the contact of Egon. You may want to contact him directly.

The following is a quote from this page:
"Our real-time and archived data can also be used for external projects.
  • The project may not represent commercial interests.

• It must be of general interest for the participants of Blitzortung.org.

• It must be different from existing projects. Do not just reimplement other projects. Do not setup yet another visualization of online data.

• All applications that use our data must be freely accessible.

• The source of the data must be clearly identified.

• The operator must prevent any possible misuse of the data provided, as far as this is possible.
The applications (web sites, apps, ...) have to retrieve their data from a separate server and not from the servers of Blitzortung.org. All data remain under the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license."

I'm just a normal participant. The relevant people to my knowledge are Cutty, Tobi and Egon.

Best regards
Klaus
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729
Thank you Klaus. I reached out to Egon this morning.

Appreciate your help!
(2018-02-27, 22:13)gerbold Wrote: The relevant people to my knowledge are Cutty, Tobi and Egon.

Cutty, TobiEgonand Richo.

The last three are the developers in Denmark and Germany. Cutty has more experience and knowledge than anyone else that I am aware of.
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
Quote:Our real-time and archived data can also be used for external projects. The applications (web sites, apps, ...) have to retrieve their data from a separate server and not from the servers of Blitzortung.org. All data remain under the CC-BY-SA 4.0 license.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll need some data to build real-time lightning Visual Display System. The biggest problem for my project is most of the data not being open to any user.

Hi all, this question is of my interest too.

I would play with lightning data with a simple python code. I would like to download data with a get request from server in a time range (for example the last two hours). It is possible?

Thank you very much 
Best regards
Before folks get too involved attempting to utilize our data in any form, (this also posted in internal forum)...

Perhaps it is time for all to review the SPECIFIC statements published on both Blitzortung.org. and on Lightningmaps.org.

Important information for our visitors
"Blitzortung.org" is not an official authority for lightning or thunderstorm data. The data shown on our website is provided only for private and entertainment purposes. The project "Blitzortung.org" is for the contributors merely a voluntary leisure activity.
It is not allowed to use our lightning data for storm warning systems, for plausibility checks of overvoltage damages, or risk analysis for precautionary protection of high-quality technology, even if the data are not obtained directly from our site but from third-party websites.

Disclaimer
We are not liable for the completeness, timeliness, quality and accuracy of the information on our website. We are not responsible for damages, resulting from trusting the content of our website or its use. This also holds if our data is obtained from third-party websites.
------------------------------------------------------

LightningMaps.org is an additional service to the main project Blitzortung.org.

The data provided by Blitzortung.org is for entertainment purposes only. We are not liable for the completeness, timeliness, quality and accuracy of the information on our website. We are not responsible for damages, resulting from trusting the content of our website or its use.
The data of Blitzortung.org is not suitable for a plausibility check in insurance matters and it is not intended for protection of life and property! You must contact a commercial lightning data provider in such cases!

------------------------------------------------------

Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No lightning data (Europe) Noodweer Benelux 2 13,305 2017-08-12, 10:34
Last Post: Tobi
  Lightning maps lacking road data tvasquez 2 15,585 2014-09-07, 22:07
Last Post: Tobi