Any source for lightning strikes?
I have a dog that is very afraid of thunder. So much so that she starts getting anxious when she see's just the flash of light from a lightning strike, even if we never even hear the thunder or it's very faint. Links deleted.

Given this, I would like to setup an automation that will turn on the lights in the room she sleeps in at night if there is a lightning strike within X miles, then turns them off if there isn't another strike within a certain time frame. This will at least ease and/or delay her anxiety when storms come at night, since she will be less likely to see the light from the lightning (blinds on the window will be closed already).
I have all the hardware to do this; I use SmartThings, and the lights are on a zwave switch. The part I'm having the most trouble with is a data source for the lightning strikes. Is there a website or RSS feed that I could tap into with IFTTT or soemthing?

Edited by Admin
Why did you include those 3 links? Looks like spam.
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
I use this Android Application, does have an alarm feature to alert you if lighting is nearby.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...p&hl=en_US
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
You can try Vaisala STRIKEnet, they are an online lightning location report that informs the individual lightning strikes at the specific locations. I’ve heard they are available 24/7 and their reports are viewable online. On their website, it states that they have more than 99% storm detection efficiency, verification of the presence or absence of lightning strikes and location and time-specific reports.
will i only be see on map if a can stop the gps fault 1pps ? gps not seeing all sky but a lot of sat are green?
(2020-05-30, 15:56)GJ7DNI Wrote: will i only be see on map if a can stop the gps fault 1pps ? gps not seeing all sky but a lot of sat are green?
Hi,
there are probably two parts of an answer.
1) May I assume you are station operator? If so, did you register your station? The colour of your username should switch from blue to green.
2) You should do something about the GPS availability - as I have to. While looking through a window, my GPS antenna sees a bit less than half of the sky. This leads to a GPS availability of about 85% and an unstable position detection. Without position the station does not send signals to the server. In my case I'd estimate this to be around 10 to 15 minutes an hour. With a clear view to the sky the GPS availability of the same antenna is close to 100%
Klaus
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729
(2020-05-31, 06:11)gerbold Wrote:
(2020-05-30, 15:56)GJ7DNI Wrote: will i only be see on map if a can stop the gps fault 1pps ? gps not seeing all sky but a lot of sat are green?
Hi,
there are probably two parts of an answer.
1) May I assume you are station operator? If so, did you register your station? The colour of your username should switch from blue to green.
2) You should do something about the GPS availability - as I have to. While looking through a window, my GPS antenna sees a bit less than half of the sky. This leads to a GPS availability of about 85% and an unstable position detection. Without position the station does not send signals to the server. In my case I'd estimate this to be around 10 to 15 minutes an hour. With a clear view to the sky the GPS availability of the same antenna is close to 100%
Klaus
hi klaus thanks for reply yes i have registerd my station is 2712 so why its still blue ?? my pcb has stoped working for the moment but for now have been makeing two anttennas, all cabled  with 1x e field and  1x h field  35cm dubble loop from copper pipeing on my water tank on small flat roof , Big Grin
There is no station 2712 listed.
http://en.blitzortung.org/station_list.p...on_country=-
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
Quote:hi klaus thanks for reply yes i have registerd my station is 2712 so why its still blue ?
Meanwhile I learned, the name will switch to green only once the station did sent it's first data. In order to send data the GPS has to be ok. Looks like you need to get the GPS issues sorted out.

Possibly you already posted it in some other thread. May you post a screenshot of the GPS status page and the GPS debug log?

Klaus
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lightning strikes displayed in South Africa GBeS29 3 16,212 2021-11-05, 09:31
Last Post: devilmaycry
  Detecting Lightning strikes on the opposite side of the earth ? Michael.Sanders 1 12,942 2014-10-28, 12:01
Last Post: Tobi