Low effectivity
Hi Blitzortung users,

I finally got my new detector online, but I have very low Effectivity ratio. Only 2%. Why is it so low? How can I get it higher? How do I find the lowest noise spot in my house? Use noise floor and walk around with it?

Settings:
[Image: blitzortung1.JPG]

Signals:
[Image: blitzortung2.JPG]

Noise Floor:
[Image: blitzortung3.JPG]

Station ID: 1122

Thank you all for this awesome community Big Grin
-Snicker-
Stations: 1122
Your station works well, I see no problems, may be that gain 8,8 would be more adequate than 10,2.

Regards,
Stations: 2656
(2014-07-29, 22:41)Egon Wrote: Your station works well, I see no problems, may be that gain 8,8 would be more adequate than 10,2.

Regards,

Then I have to use manual mode?
2560 Gain now. Sending out crazy amounts of Signals, (22/s) but I see I get a lot more detections also.
Bandwidth is no problem for me. 150/150mbit fiber line.
[Image: blitzortung4.JPG]
As long as it wont go into interference mode. I'll leave it like that.
Thanks Egon
-Snicker-
Your signals show a lot of noise which make them often unusable for the locating. You should try to find a better position for your antennas and/or identify the disturber(s).
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2014-07-30, 10:09)Tobi Wrote: Your signals show a lot of noise which make them often unusable for the locating. You should try to find a better position for your antennas and/or identify the disturber(s).

Thats what I was afraid of. But there are no definite noise signal. I see a LOT of different noise signals. I tried to move the controller and antenna further away from my weather computer (5 feet now) and other known thinkable sources for noise. I also have a Oregon wmr100n weather stations pretty close. It uses wireless. Tried turning it of. But no change. What do you purpose? Do you see any noise I should look for? Grounding the controller, could that help?
-Snicker-
5 feet? - why not 50 feet?
Stations: 584, 585, 2017
(2014-07-30, 10:40)RichoAnd Wrote: 5 feet? - why not 50 feet?

I have no place in the house where I can get it 50 feet away from any computer. Do you think the computer is the main source of noise?
-Snicker-
(2014-07-30, 10:18)Snicker Wrote: Grounding the controller, could that help?

Yes, it helps a lot. Try it.
Stations: 1045
(2014-07-30, 13:43)MeteoCercal Wrote:
(2014-07-30, 10:18)Snicker Wrote: Grounding the controller, could that help?

Yes, it helps a lot. Try it.

Ehm, where on the controller do I ground it?
-Snicker-
On the controller by the RJ45 jack is a ground block. Just one ground. Controller only. Don't ground any other points. Make sure it's a good 'cold water' or earth ground. The controller ground is common to all the components in the system from that one connection. Assuming you've used shielded CA5/6 cable.

5 Feet is probably still too close to the computer... get those antennas and amps as far away as possible... 10m or so

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
A couple of us had good luck going to the ground terminal in the electrical outlet. Grounding to the copper water pipe where it enters my home did not work for me.

Good luck. - Jim
Stations: 934
In most modern (UK) houses the incoming water pipe is plastic and so not grounded directly that way, but any copper pipework in the house is cross-bonded to the electrical ground connection. I haven't tried the electrical earth connection yet.
Stations: 1075, 1472
Hi,

About grounding;
I drove a 15mm diam, 150 cm pipe in the ground, and soldered a copper wire to that, and I use that for grounding *only* the blitzortung controller. Works great. That is... Unless you live on soil with rocks in itDodgy

Gerhard
www.weeropdeveluwe.nl
Stations: 711, 1351
(2014-07-30, 10:46)Snicker Wrote:
(2014-07-30, 10:40)RichoAnd Wrote: 5 feet? - why not 50 feet?

I have no place in the house where I can get it 50 feet away from any computer. Do you think the computer is the main source of noise?

Perhaps it is time for you to "think outside of the box (your house) Cool". You can build an external box or use an external garage that is away from your electrically noisy home. I had to move my antennas (H-field ferrite and E-Field vertical) about 30 feet from my house before I got decent noise levels. I was not able to find anyplace within my home that was quiet enough.

As far as grounding goes, if you live in a desert area like I do, it is very challenging to get a good earth ground in dry sand...
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808