Interested in setting up a station in northern Norway
Hi

I've been following Blitzortung for a while now and have noticed that coverage in northern Norway is quite poor.

We've had several thunderstorms up here the last few weeks and as soon as they go north of Helgeland most of them go unnoticed by Blitzortung.

I live in a rural area where interference should be pretty low, and I'm interested in setting up a station here whenever there are PCB's available again.
My coordinates are roughly 67 16'23.62"N 15 7'0.65"E

I have both the skills and all the required equipment for assembling the detection hardware.

Thank you
Hey Drayton!
I live in northern of Sweden (20km from Piteå (65° 25' 46.0020'' N 21° 16' 36.1668'' E) and like you suffer for stations in the northern area.

I see that it would bee really great (with your position) if both of us can setup a station.

My only interference would be when i'm using my amateur radio Wink

I really hope that its not to far away until Blitzortung can deliver PCB's and preferably whole kit's again.

/Anders
I'm a ham and I operate from 160Meters to UHF. So far, no discernable interference caused by any of my ham activities. Of course, if you are running VLF ops, that may be a different story but with the filters in the BO circuits, I wouldn't worry about interference problems. Anyway, if there were any, they would only be during the time you are transmitting which typically is a pretty brief period of time (unless you rag-chew for long times Big Grin).

73's - W3DRM
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808
(2014-08-16, 12:25)Drayton Wrote: Hi

I've been following Blitzortung for a while now and have noticed that coverage in northern Norway is quite poor.

We've had several thunderstorms up here the last few weeks and as soon as they go north of Helgeland most of them go unnoticed by Blitzortung.

I live in a rural area where interference should be pretty low, and I'm interested in setting up a station here whenever there are PCB's available again.
My coordinates are roughly 67 16'23.62"N 15 7'0.65"E

I have both the skills and all the required equipment for assembling the detection hardware.

Thank you

What abot the Station:
Novik, NorwayLocator: JP66wx
Transmits 6 times a day: 00:00-00:55, 04:00-04:55, 8:00-08:55, 12:00-12:55, 16:00-16:55, 20:00-20:55 UTC.
It's only about 65km from you.
Stations: 584, 585, 2017
Quote:
Quote:My only interference would be when i'm using my amateur radio Wink
Didn't you know that "Blitzortung" requires you to get out to of the Amateur Radio hobby? Big Grin

Seriously, there are many worldwide 'HAMS' aboard... and you guys in 'Europe' may have a chance beginning in September, as another production may occur.. watch the forums, and especially the "Cover Your Area" page... if you've not already entered a request for a station, why not do so? and perhaps repeat the request several times over the next few weeks... that gives Egon something to do... Rolleyes

Mike

I've submitted a single request trough the "Cover your area"-form.
The reply i got clearly states: "Please avoid to ask us via about updates in this manner"
So that's why I decided to air my interest in the forum hoping staff will keep me in mind whenever PCB's are available again.

I used to be a unlicensed but very polite HAM many many years ago (I was too young to afford the license), operating on home built equipment.
If spare time allows for it (read: kids) I plan to pick it up again the licensed way.

-Roger

(2014-08-16, 20:01)Anders Wrote: Hey Drayton!
I live in northern of Sweden (20km from Piteå (65° 25' 46.0020'' N 21° 16' 36.1668'' E) and like you suffer for stations in the northern area.

I see that it would bee really great (with your position) if both of us can setup a station.

My only interference would be when i'm using my amateur radio Wink

I really hope that its not to far away until Blitzortung can deliver PCB's and preferably whole kit's again.

/Anders

Hi

Looking at the possible detector ranges on the live map I'd have to agree with you.
And if you need any help assembling I'd be glad to help out.

Fingers crossed the staff will prioritize stations up here Smile

-Roger
Drayton!
Did you receive your boards to set up a station, this time?
I live in southern Norway, Kongsberg, but had no luck this time either to buy a kit, I have tried three times now, but no success.
I have a Boltek StormTracker PCI station running Nexstorm SW, at http://www.ts20.no/ . I'm also part of Strikestar.
But compared to Blitzortung, accurecy seems to be poor.
In southern Norway, there seems to be 7-8 Blitzortung-stations.
I really would like to buy a Blitzortung-kit (building it myself), and be a part of this community, but seems to be difficult this year.
There should be some few more Blitzortung stations in Norway!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interested to buy and install a Blue System scpa359 6 2,771 2024-02-29, 09:24
Last Post: ibispasanda
  Interested in setting up a station - Questions Ristake 10 50,924 2017-08-14, 15:13
Last Post: LaurentB
  Setting up a new station and Data Usage questions Avery 3 20,169 2016-05-02, 00:26
Last Post: dalek
  Proposed station for northern Queensland, Australia nerd65 0 7,947 2016-03-27, 04:41
Last Post: nerd65
  Would a station in northern England be any use? G3WGV 12 58,493 2015-09-11, 14:50
Last Post: jrnokes