Gain settings by software?
Somehow I lost my thread about tweaking a new RED system. Those who might have read the tread will remember that someone asked why my screenshot did not show the gain settings on the live signals page

In the manual is written that you can choose between manual mode with gain settings on the amplifier or automatic mode with gain setting for each channel by software.

Maybe I'm overlooking something but where can the gain be set by software? As far as I understand automatic gain and treshold control from the Blitzorting servers is not available yet so they should not have any influence yet. Do I miss a TAB or page somewhere where I can adjust the gain?

By the way... it makes no difference is not showing gain setting on Live Signals page toggling between manual / automatic mode.

Regards,

Frank Veldhuijsen
(2014-09-05, 17:04)PA4EME Wrote: Somehow I lost my thread about tweaking a new RED system. Those who might have read the tread will remember that someone asked why my screenshot did not show the gain settings on the live signals page

In the manual is written that you can choose between manual mode with gain settings on the amplifier or automatic mode with gain setting for each channel by software.

That was me Smile

You are correct - in Manual mode there is a check box to disable controller setting the gain and enable the potentiometer. I never noticed that before!

So - if I go into Manual mode on the Setting tab, the green LED on the amplifier stays on, and I can set the gain from the web browser Settings tab. The yellow LEDs stay off except when I apply a change of gain, and then they flash briefly.

If I check the "Enable potentiometer" box and apply that change, the green LED goes out, and the yellow LEDs corresponding to the potentiometer settings light up.

In Automatic mode, the green LED is on, and the options to enable potentiometer or to set the gain are absent from the web browser Setting page.

In all cases the Signals tab reports the gain setting, not a dash, and in all cases the Status tab shows both the amplifier PCB type and the amplifier firmware version.

I think what mine does is normal, as far as I can tell without access to the code. Does that match what yours does?
Stations: 1075, 1472
Thanks. The OP's problem (or one of his problems...) was that the controller did not recognise the amplifier board type, and did not report the amplifier gain on the signals page. I was trying to give him some pointers toward what "normal" controller/amplifier interaction looked like to aid his troubleshooting.

But to answer your comment, mostly I leave my station in Automatic mode, and it seems to work quite well.
Problem traced....

This morning I have taken down the preamplifier from the tower to investigate why the controller was not able to recognize the preamplifier.

The fault was traced to be at pin 9 of the ATMega 8. After taking a new ATMega8 and flashing firmware on it, the problem was solved and the amplifierboard was recognized by the controller. Together with that the missing settings for gain control were available.

Sofar case closed. Now we can let the system run and find the best settings for it. Next time when my tower is lowered for a storm (I have a Versatower) the antenna will move to the top and will have free take off in all directions.

Those who responded many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Frank Veldhuijsen
station [1152]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.jpg   station 1152.JPG (Size: 8.78 KB / Downloads: 407)
That is good news Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possibility of contributing to a second-tier experimenta hardware / software effort? louloulou 0 4,039 2020-08-16, 19:04
Last Post: louloulou
  SOLVED: Identifying interference with oscilloscopes and software-defined radio djhuft 23 104,383 2017-08-29, 04:58
Last Post: Karate_kid