Pre-Amp Placement
I am new to the project having just completed assembling the Blue system.  I'm currently using ferrite antennas and still looking for optimal placement of it.  I have found that it works well in my attic and would like to leave it there for now.  I have built a PVC pipe enclosure for the ferrite antennas and pre-amp.  Pre-amp is, of course, connected to the blue controller in my home office via Cat6 cable.

My concern is the attic heat build up in the summer and the well being of the pre-amp in such heat.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the long term ability of the pre-amp to function properly and survive in a hot attic?  I'm going to guess the attic will get to 120-140 F in mid summer.

Any advice appreciated.

stu
I'm in the same situation. New unit online with my loops and preamp above the garage. It will get hot in there this summer. I'm hoping the preamp has enough tolerance with this kind of heat.
WU: KROCKF4 || CWOP: C9861 || CoCoRaHS: MI-KN-83 || Blitzotung: 1737
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus --> Meteohub
weather.huffman.info
Stations: 1737
140F ~ 60C is no problem

/Richo
Stations: 584, 585, 2017
Great! Thank You!
Resurrecting an old thread.  I have the opposite question.  How much cold can the E-field pre-amp tolerate being that it has to be outside.  -20, -30..-40C?
Station 2487 
Regina, Sk. Canada
http://nwrweather.com/
Stations: 1670, 2487
According to the datasheet the
(2019-06-09, 22:59)Sleepypup Wrote: Resurrecting an old thread.  I have the opposite question.  How much cold can the E-field pre-amp tolerate being that it has to be outside.  -20, -30..-40C?

According to datasheets all the IC's used on the H, operating temperature in free air is -40 to +125C.
That being said, I would not stress the board that much operating it at both extremes. You might start to experience solder joint failure due to uneven expansion and contraction of the various components.
[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
Understood.  Thanks.
Station 2487 
Regina, Sk. Canada
http://nwrweather.com/
Stations: 1670, 2487

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LED placement question SteveQlQ 6 28,792 2018-02-04, 16:14
Last Post: cernese