Use OpenStreetMap as background map
Hi everybody

First of all, thanks to everyone that made this wonderfull project possible, you're really amazing ! This is one of the most beautiful collaborative projects I know  Heart

But, as a free software developer and defender, I really wonder: why google maps ? I'm surprised to see a commercial map on a collaborative a free project when there's a free and collaborative map available.
Why don't we use OpenStreetMap ? I see many advantages using OSM:

- no fees (google will update their pricing policies in a few months (here is a French article describing this huge fees increase)
- many maps customization (colors, map features, fonts, ...): some examples here and here 

Auxiliary remark: when I look to the dynamic lightnings map, I often wonder "what is the city hidden behind those lights drawings ?" An option to control the lightings overlay would be great to see cities names behind. Note that cities names are often more clear (more names at the same zoom level) in OpenStreetMap than in Google maps !

I'm a developer at [url=URL REMOVED BY ADMIN[/url] and I would be really happy to help to this project !

Thanks 
Bruno Duyé
(2018-05-22, 17:38)brunetton Wrote: Hi everybody

First of all, thanks to everyone that made this wonderfull project possible, you're really amazing ! This is one of the most beautiful collaborative projects I know  Heart

But, as a free software developer and defender, I really wonder: why google maps ? I'm surprised to see a commercial map on a collaborative a free project when there's a free and collaborative map available.

- no fees (google will update their pricing policies in a few months (here is a French article describing this huge fees increase)
- many maps customization (colors, map features, fonts, ...): some examples here and here 

Auxiliary remark: when I look to the dynamic lightnings map, I often wonder "what is the city hidden behind those lights drawings ?" An option to control the lightings overlay would be great to see cities names behind. Note that cities names are often more clear (more names at the same zoom level) in OpenStreetMap than in Google maps !

I'm a developer at [url=URL REMOVED BY ADMIN[/url] and I would be really happy to help to this project !

Thanks 
Bruno Duyé
Hii Bruno Dave...
First, we removed your link to the phone hack application, since can could cause some international issues...

The developers have been considering other basemaps,

Cheers!
Mikr

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
OSM layer can be already enabled here, but still with Google API: https://www.lightningmaps.org/?#m=osm

Of course we would use OSM now if we would start from beginning, but 10 years ago Google Maps API was better, free and still has satellite images. However, we will switch to OSM sooner or later. But have in mind, that we can not just get the map tiles from the OSM servers directly as our maps cause 100 million or more tile requests per hour in times with a lot of lightning activity.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2018-05-23, 20:09)Tobi Wrote:  .... as our maps cause 100 million or more tile requests per hour in times with a lot of lightning activity.

Wow !!!  Tongue  Lightning  Lightning
[Image: wxgraphic.php?type=banner_big]

Stations: 2039
(2018-05-23, 20:09)Tobi Wrote: OSM layer can be already enabled here, but still with Google API: https://www.lightningmaps.org/?#m=osm

Of course we would use OSM now if we would start from beginning, but 10 years ago Google Maps API was better, free and still has satellite images. However, we will switch to OSM sooner or later. But have in mind, that we can not just get the map tiles from the OSM servers directly as our maps cause 100 million or more tile requests per hour in times with a lot of lightning activity.

great work Tobi  Big Grin
Stations: 1476
(2018-05-25, 17:00)Eric.Wouters Wrote:
(2018-05-23, 20:09)Tobi Wrote: OSM layer can be already enabled here, but still with Google API: https://www.lightningmaps.org/?#m=osm

great work Tobi  Big Grin

the thunderstorms generate the visits, not Tobias Big Grin

By the way, great work Tongue
Stations: 1475
(2018-05-22, 18:43)Cutty Wrote:
(2018-05-22, 17:38)brunetton Wrote: Hi everybody

Thanks 
Bruno Duyé
Hii Bruno Dave...
First, we removed your link to the phone hack application, since can could cause some international issues...

The developers have been considering other basemaps,

Cheers!
Mikr

Hi Cutty

LOL, this wasn't a link to a "phone hack application" ! It was the link to the society where I work Smile  But anyway, this confirms that we've to work on our society's online image !
Tonight I came to Blitzortung to check if there are storms around my place and .. what a good surprise ! Here's OSM by default Smile

http://fr.blitzortung.org/live_dynamic_maps2.php

Now this is a free project Wink

Thanks again to all