Web Page Real-Time Updates
All,

New to the forum but long time user of the Lightningmaps.org website. I have noticed, where I work, the lightningmaps.org page will show dynamic, real-time updates of flashes but the en.blitzortung.org page does not. It only does a full page refresh every minute. Are there different internet data flow requirements (firewall access, PC/browser setup, etc.) between the two pages? What does it take to make the en.blitzortung.org show real-time flashes like it does at my home PC?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
(2017-05-04, 17:01)jkrob Wrote: All,

New to the forum but long time user of the Lightningmaps.org website. I have noticed, where I work, the lightningmaps.org page will show dynamic, real-time updates of flashes but the en.blitzortung.org page does not. It only does a full page refresh every minute. Are there different internet data flow requirements (firewall access, PC/browser setup, etc.) between the two pages? What does it take to make the en.blitzortung.org show real-time flashes like it does at my home PC?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

First question:
on the 'work' machine: the Blitzortung.org page---
Do you have 'strikes' and or 'detectors' enabled on the lower left hand menu?

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2017-05-04, 17:48)Cutty Wrote:
(2017-05-04, 17:01)jkrob Wrote: All,

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

First question:
on the 'work' machine: the Blitzortung.org page---
Do you have 'strikes' and or 'detectors' enabled on the lower left hand menu?

Hey - Well, there is an upper-left menu and, yes, they are both enabled.

Also, I need to add; the white rectangular dialog box in the upper left corner which normally shows the strikes/delay only shows 'connected'

Thanks,
Jeff
I've had the same problem at work. Does your company have a firewall or filter?
Stations: 1481
Firewalls?? Working on a US Govt network - Ohhh, they have firewalls ;-) I'm sure it is a firewall/access issue however, why does the Lightningmaps.org work properly but the en.blitzortung.org not -are there different firewall ports used with one but not the other? The en.blitzortung.org does the one minute page refresh but not the dynamic strike info like the Lightningmaps.org does.

I'm hoping the designers of the web page(s) can provide some insight. our network admin is providing almost no effort toward getting this to work properly (of course).

Jeff
I think this is because lmaps.org uses standard HTTP/HTTPS ports and en.blitzortung.org uses random ports which aren't.
Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601
(2017-05-07, 11:35)jkrob Wrote: Firewalls?? Working on a US Govt network - Ohhh, they have firewalls ;-) I'm sure it is a firewall/access issue however, why does the Lightningmaps.org work properly but the en.blitzortung.org not -are there different firewall ports used with one but not the other? The en.blitzortung.org does the one minute page refresh but not the dynamic strike info like the Lightningmaps.org does.

I'm hoping the designers of the web page(s) can provide some insight. our network admin is providing almost no effort toward getting this to work properly (of course).

Jeff

(2017-05-07, 13:02)DelandeC Wrote: I think this is because lmaps.org uses standard HTTP/HTTPS ports and en.blitzortung.org uses random ports which aren't.
... and the servers are in different world regions... BT in Europe, and LMO in Canada... and are totally different platforms.... who knows what restrictions your "work" network  may be imposing on the Region and the access protocol DelandeC mentioned....

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LightningMaps.org: Real-time Lightning Map Tobi 154 924,155 2020-06-03, 10:54
Last Post: scilover
  No sound in Blitzortung.org Real Time Maps with FF >= 52.0 on Linux nerd65 1 13,474 2017-05-08, 08:31
Last Post: nerd65
  No updates My Lighting Detecton page rbaleja 4 22,450 2015-08-10, 14:42
Last Post: rbaleja