Determining lightning polarity (positive or negative) by raw signal processing?
#4
Richo,
I don't quite agree with you: cloud-ground lightning, CG for short, comes in 2 polarities: about 90% of the strokes carry negative charge to earth, they are -CG lightning, the remaining 10% carry positive charge to earth, they are +CG. So the polarity has nothing to do with the difference between lightning in or between the clouds (intra- or inter cloud ligthning) and CG lightning. Cloud lightning produces different signals from CG lighting, they are more complicated and usually weaker. All lightning detection systems detect almost exclusively CG lightning with high efficiency; cloud lightning is sometimes detected but with low efficiency. 
The best way to determine the polarity of CG lightning is to use the E field antenna. I use the H antennas  for triggering and the E field antenna only for the signal; the trigger treshold is set so high that E field noise only rarely triggers.
Stations: 1836
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Determining lightning polarity (positive or negative) by raw signal processing? - by pasense - 2017-08-20, 18:51

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rare "positive" lightning bolt caught on video mwaters 0 1,087 2019-05-12, 14:41
Last Post: mwaters



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)