New member, having some problems with H-field big interference bursts..
The current cable is not screened; I will be replacing it this weekend as I do have a screened cable that is much longer, as well, so I will be able to get it onto a more distant mast.

I replaced the power supply last night and there may have been -some- improvement at least on the e-field?
(2018-09-18, 19:05)michidragon Wrote: The current cable is not screened;  I will be replacing it this weekend as I do have a screened cable that is much longer, as well, so I will be able to get it onto a more distant mast.

I replaced the power supply last night and there may have been -some- improvement at least on the e-field?

I had a look at your signal and it is much better, I don't see those 60Khz spikes anymore.
Something is still not right as you only detect the occasional stroke. Is it possible to move your ferrite antennas to another location?
[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
Certainly the horrible 60 kHz noise band has gone but it's still not right. There is still a very decernable wave form of about 30 to 40 kHz. Try another PSU, they vary a great deal in the amount of noise they chuck out.

What few signals it sends don't look like lightning to me, they are too sharp. The first cycle less than 20 uS, lightning is far slower, approaching 50 uS. I've also seen near identical signals on the E-Field, a distinctive big fast spike, a gentle wobble and fade away. I suspect local electrical switching, air con? It'll also sit for minutes doing nothing then send a burst of far more normall looking signals before pausing again. is the station in automatic or manual?
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
(2018-09-18, 23:11)allsorts Wrote: Certainly the horrible 60 kHz noise band has gone but it's still not right. There is still a very decernable wave form of about 30 to 40 kHz. Try another PSU, they vary a great deal in the amount of noise they chuck out.

What few signals it sends don't look like lightning to me, they are too sharp. The first cycle less than 20 uS, lightning is far slower, approaching 50 uS. I've also seen near identical signals on the E-Field, a distinctive big fast spike, a gentle wobble and fade away. I suspect local electrical switching, air con? It'll also sit for minutes doing nothing then send a burst of far more normall looking signals before pausing again. is the station in automatic or manual?

Right now it's on manual but noise adaptation is on. I was running it without adaptation for a while and it was getting more strokes...

There are air conditioners in the neighborhood for sure;  This weekend I absolutely plan to add a shielded H-field cable and relocate the ferrites further out, and get the E-field higher up.

Meanwhile I'll keep rolling on trying new power supplies.
hmm. So now my controller ID has gone to "0" and so has my User ID... Have I been voted off the island?
Never heard of that happening. I would email Egon.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
@michidragon: There is/was a problem with the database, but I don't know whether this is the reason. Is your station running? I currently don't see any activity.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
Hallo Blitzortung.org

Thanks to all of you for any help; I'm new to the forum I just joined. I am a passionate dimetherology resident in Italy, more specifically in Sardinia, Capoterra (CA), an area hit in recent years by high temporal phenomena and frequent lightning. I would have the pleasure of collaborating with YOU and buying the KIT to allow the community to have further and more precise data from a region that does not own these stations, despite being at the center of the Mediterranean Sea. how can I do to buy the kit, you could cortesememte indicate the link, thanks andrea carassale, andrea.carassale@tiscali, it
Hello,

New to the group and trying to get my blue system setup correctly. I currently have it up in NJ, USA but will be moving it down to LaPaz, Bolivia in the next months. Setup is two rods in attic and E antenna is in the far corner of the attic away from as much as possible (i know this isn't ideal but just trying to get everything set up, tested and understand how to adjust the settings before moving it). I have set up in manual mode and have a signal but i am not sure if what i am seeing is interference or just a ton of lighting that it is picking up. last night there was a storm so i was getting around 350/sec following the storm it dropped down to about 30/sec and was running normally. i thought i had things looking good but this morning not so much as it is back up at 120/sec. My station is 2302, could someone take a look and give some advice.
Thank You

Settings:
1A - 4*4*40 = 640 - 100mv
1B - 1*1*40 = 40 - 100mv
1C - 4*2*40 = 320 - 110mv
Only DSP filter on
(2018-10-03, 15:05)Tomforti Wrote: Hello,

New to the group and trying to get my blue system setup correctly. I currently have it up in NJ, USA but will be moving it down to LaPaz, Bolivia in the next months. Setup is two rods in attic and E antenna is in the far corner of the attic away from as much as possible (i know this isn't ideal but just trying to get everything set up, tested and understand how to adjust the settings before moving it). I have set up in manual mode and have a signal but i am not sure if what i am seeing is interference or just a ton of lighting that it is picking up. last night there was a storm so i was getting around 350/sec following the storm it dropped down to about 30/sec and was running normally.  i thought i had things looking good but this morning not so much as it is back up at 120/sec. My station is 2302, could someone take a look and give some advice.
Thank You

Settings:
1A - 4*4*40 = 640 - 100mv
1B - 1*1*40 = 40 - 100mv
1C - 4*2*40 = 320 - 110mv
Only DSP filter on

Tomforti, first thing to do is register your controller to become an operator.
This will give you access to the Internal forum where there are much more information. The Internal forum is where we discuss technical stuff.

Regards

Dries

Not sure I follow where you are talking about.
Go to the status page of your controller, make a note of the "Device ID:" under "Controller / CPU". Log into
http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php 
go to the site login page top right and enter your existing user name into the "New Username" field and the code found above into the box marked "Register Code". This will create a site user, register your controller and connect your forum username with site username.

Once logged into the site you can update the information about your set up, aerial type(s), which channel has what aerial etc. On the site Input 0 is Ch1A, Input 1 Ch1B etc and dimensions are in mm.

O I did that. Just never put all the site details in yet. But where is the other fourm you are speaking about?
Hi Guys,
Finally got my station online here in Northern NSW, have followed this thread to adjust the gains like what cutty said, seems to be ok here so far. If anyone can have a look and let me know if any changes need to be made, my controller ID is 2311. Also, I'm having probs with the forum not letting me be a participant for some reason....have done what michidragon did, but it hasn't updated.
Thanks
(2018-10-18, 05:32)Gorzzz Wrote: Hi Guys,
Finally got my station online here in Northern NSW, have followed this thread to adjust the gains like what cutty said, seems to be ok here so far. If anyone can have a look and let me know if any changes need to be made, my controller ID is 2311. Also, I'm having probs with the forum not letting me be a participant for some reason....have done what michidragon did, but it hasn't updated.
Thanks

Gorzzz, yes your are detecting strokes, but you also have some type interference. Where is your E-Field probe located?

(2018-10-18, 12:41)dupreezd Wrote:
(2018-10-18, 05:32)Gorzzz Wrote: Hi Guys,
Thanks

Gorzzz, yes your are detecting strokes, but you also have some type interference. Where is your E-Field probe located?

That appears to be a strong mains power component.  IF that is in fact an E channel signal ??? the gain is quite high... I see 10*5.  Whee are the H channels?   ???  I saw no H channel data...???

Reduce the E channel gain to  the level it doesn't trigger on that signal.  Now take a portable AM Radio, tune it to low end of band, off channel, and do a walk around and see if you can fine the arcing transformer, power device, electric fence, security light, street light, whatever, is the source.

Since I'm not seeing any H signals, can't suggest further.
This could be an E probe location problem as Dries asked, this could be a coax cable problem... at least double shielded ... 75 ohm.

The e field is very senxsitive, on my system BLUE I grab a LOT of mains signal in my location with gains higher than 4*2.  The original thinking for E field detection was <800 KM... especially since it does NOT function as an 'antenna', but rather as a 'charge' detector... a Probe...  of the Charge content in the atmosphere (to over simplify).. rather than an 'antenna' to detect the Vertical VLF EM signal.. think about its length... it is extremely short for an antenna.... It MUST be outside, not grounded, at least a couple of meters above earth....

If your Controller is grounded, this could carry to the E coax shield, and you could have a bad controller ground.   try ungrounding the controller... original design callls for BLUE to be ungrounded, but that has proven necesssary in some installlations in some conditions.

I've manually upgraded your Forum status to Participant,.... there appears to be an unresolved issue with data communications between the new Blitzortung servers, and the forum platform... assuming you have in fact configured correctly on the BT server....

Mike

CLOSING this thread and moving content to internal
https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=2747

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020