Earth connection
I have been using the H field magnetic loops with good success.
Unfortunately  allowed the amplifier to get wet, so I am currently dealing with that.

So just now I am operating with the E field antenna only - used with the on board antenna.

I do not have the earth terminal on the back of the controller connected to anything.
Should I connect this and to what - an earth stake? how close to the E-field antenna?

Any other thoughts on the E-field sensors would be appreciated.

Chris. Huh
Stations: 2332
I found much lower noise when I connected my Blue system to earth - I used the earth from the power socket by using a power plug with only the earth connected. My e-field probe is made from 2.5mm wire and is 200mm long  edit 100mm - I have it mounted on my roof as it must be a few metres above the ground to work properly. It's connected using quad shield coax - it works 3 times better than my h-field ferrites - I could disconnect them and not miss any strikes. I'm down south near Wollongong.
[Image: wxgraphic.php?type=banner_big]

Stations: 2039
(2018-12-30, 07:35)vk2him Wrote: I found much lower noise when I connected my Blue system to earth - I used the earth from the power socket by using a power plug with only the earth connected. My e-field probe is made from 2.5mm wire and is 200mm long  edit 100mm - I have it mounted on my roof as it must be a few metres above the ground to work properly. It's connected using quad shield coax - it works 3 times better than my h-field ferrites - I could disconnect them and not miss any strikes. I'm down south near Wollongong.

Many thanks for your reply via Blitzortung.
And also for the earthing comments.
I have the E field sensor encased in poly-pipe and it is high in a tree in my front yard.
I have had to disconnect my H field loops (more below) and have not connected my e-field sensor till now,
as I had a display of Christmas lights in the front yard. I was concerned that the currents in these would give false triggering.
So now, having taken all that down, the E-field sensor is connected.
It seems to be giving reasonable signals, but I think a "long" wire vertical will be a better idea.
When I looked at the signals it looked like 50Hz interference being received, until I realised that the horizontal axis is in microseconds, and not milliseconds.
So I guess it is working OK.
Two projects to come - (1) connect an earth, and maybe the way you have done it is best, rather than a stake, and (2) a longer wire for the E-field antenna.
I've only had the E-field connected for a few hours, so it remains to be seen how good a sensor it is, and if better with the longer wire.

I had the H-field antennae working very well.
I used crossed 1m square loops in 3-dimensions, 7 turns each of heavy enameled copper.
They loops were under the eaves, as was the GPS antenna (brilliant little helical).
I decided to move the loops out clear of the house for a better "view" and had the H-amps enclosed in a sealed box.
Well, the sealing didn't turn out to be as good as I hoped!!!
And water got in to the pre-amp 3-channel H board. Not too much, but enough to give nasty tracking down the board.
However much I cleaned it (toothbrush and elbow grease) it hasn't worked since, although its LED shows power.
So this will have to be replaced. 

Anyhow, many thanks for your response.
I'll implement the earth, and also increase the antenna size.
Stations: 2332
(2018-12-30, 08:37)cjabar Wrote: I'll implement the earth, and also increase the antenna size.

Trust me that when it comes to the E-Field, larger is not better! It's not actually an antenna, it's a probe that measures the change in current charge rather than receiving a "radio" signal - It's also why you need the probe a few metres above ground. As a guide, my 100mm probe is picking up strikes consistently from NZ, Papua NG, Indonesia and the whole Australian continent. I live in a rural area with a few electric fences around me and connecting the earth reduced the noise from these. I have my E channel gains set to 16x10 with threshold of 90 mV with 18mVPP noise.

How long is your E field? P.S. I have a set of Christmas Solar LED lights permanently connected around the edge of my deck and they never cause any noise.
PPS - I can't find your station listed in this list which is odd? My Station is usually near the top indicating relatively good performance.
http://en.blitzortung.org/station_list.p...ry=Oceania

- Cheers Ian
[Image: wxgraphic.php?type=banner_big]

Stations: 2039

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Incredible map displays every lightning strike on Earth, in real-time as it happens Johnlarry 1 1,577 2019-04-13, 12:58
Last Post: cutty
  Earth's New Lightning Capital cutty 0 3,023 2016-05-03, 16:16
Last Post: cutty