LightningMaps.org: Real-time Lightning Map
The "Sent" statistic on the Controller Status page does NOT mean the signal was used in the calculation of a strike. In fact, the Controller firmware has no way of knowing that.

I believed the "Received" count tracks the number of signals that exceeded their trigger threshold, plus signals from other channels that detected the same signal that caused the initial trigger.

The "Sent" statistic counts the number of signals that triggered sending a report to the server, plus all other signals that exceeded the 10% of own threshold criteria (or whatever threshold is set in the "Settings/Tracker/Ignore signals below threshold" box), which causes those additional signals to actually be sent to the server, along with the triggering channel.

For example, assume you have an H-Field and an E-Field amp. This provides channel 1A and 1B (H-Field) and 2A, 2B, and 2C (E-Field). All five channels are set to use a threshold of 120mV. "Settings/Tracker/Ignore signals below threshold" is set to the default 10%.

A signal that exceeds 120mV is detected by channel 1A. Energy is detected from the same signal on channels 1B and 2A, 2B and 2C. Therefore, the strike will cause the "Received" count on the Status page to increase by 5. The amplitudes of the additional channels are:

1B - 60mV (exceeds 10% of 120mV or 12 mV, so the signal is sent to the server as well as the triggering signal on 1A)
2A - 8mV (does NOT exceed 10% of 120mV or 12 mV, so that signal is NOT sent to the server)
2B - 6mV (does NOT exceed 10% of 120mV or 12 mV, so that signal is NOT sent to the server)
2C - 40mV (exceeds 10% of 120mV or 12 mV, so the signal is sent to the server as well as the triggering signal on 1A)

So, in this case, the number of "Sent" signals is 3, so the "Sent" count on the Status page will only be increased by 3.

The fact that a signal is "Sent" from the Controller's perspective only means that the criteria for sending a received signal to the servers has been met. It says nothing about whether those signals are actually used in the calculation of a valid strike. In fact, the "Sent" signals could all be generated by noise, and still meet the criteria for transmission to the server.

Setting the "Settings/Tracker/Ignore signals below threshold" value to 100% will insure that only signals that exceed 120mV will be sent.

There are other gating criteria that are used to determine if ANY signals are sent, like having an active network connection and a good GPS lock. You will note that after a system is powered on, the signal count will increase, but none of the signals are counted as "Good" or "Sent" until a GPS lock is achieved.

If the system works otherwise, one of the developers, please, jump in here and correct me.

Best regards,

Don
WD9DMP

(2014-07-15, 17:19)Asbjorn.Aamot Wrote:
(2014-07-14, 23:31)Cutty Wrote: A beep does not mean a valid, or a usable 'stroke'. It beeps on any signal, noise, car, pet fence, switch, etc that causes a trigger.... If you're not seeing signals on the Participants page, or low values, or not seeing them on the map, it could mean that most of your signals are noise.

1028 Florø Norway Running 2014-07-15 01:31 257 0 | 0% 0 | 0% 26 | 3%

I know that there is some noise, and I had it worse earlier.
But lately it seems to be a lot of good signals, according to waveform, and the status page :

SignalsReceived: 36255, Good: 31529, Sent: 31511
Signal RateLast second: 0, Last 60s: 0.7
as of :
RTC time2014-07-15 17:05:38
Running for13h, 5m

I also see that I get "credit" for almost every strike closer to home, but more rarely when there is a bigger distance.
Of course, this is also dependent on signal strength, and with more distance, the weaker the signals will be.
Ill make a video to show what I mean, and put it on Youtube...

Regards, Asbjorn
Stations:
(2014-07-14, 23:29)HolzHaus Wrote: i did a quick video that show how i looks on a android tablet
performance is very bad on google maps with chrome Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg3jFBayGLs
What exactly do you want to show us with this video?
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2014-07-16, 10:47)Tobi Wrote:
(2014-07-14, 23:29)HolzHaus Wrote: i did a quick video that show how i looks on a android tablet
performance is very bad on google maps with chrome Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg3jFBayGLs
What exactly do you want to show us with this video?

im stormchaser and i use realtime map for chasing.
The issues nerven sometimes, just want to show how it looks on a real device, not on a emulator Smile
Stations: 551
Which issues?
Great work, thanx Big Grin

On my Windows Phone 8.1 (Lumia 625), I cannot pan or pinch-to-zoom the map with gestures, those will be captured by the main window, not the map interface. I have tested a few different browsers, but the problem remains. I guess this behavior is caused by a bug in WP operating system that has been known for some time, and I am pessimistic about ms correcting itAngry. However, there may be some workarounds. Do you have this issue on your todo list?

Ari
(2014-07-19, 14:54)ari.jasberg Wrote: Great work, thanx Big Grin

On my Windows Phone 8.1 (Lumia 625), I cannot pan or pinch-to-zoom the map with gestures, those will be captured by the main window, not the map interface. I have tested a few different browsers, but the problem remains. I guess this behavior is caused by a bug in WP operating system that has been known for some time, and I am pessimistic about ms correcting itAngry. However, there may be some workarounds. Do you have this issue on your todo list?

Ari
I think it depends on browser or page, as it happens to me in chrome for android on some internet pages. Blitzortung realtime map works fine.
(2014-06-20, 15:44)Tobi Wrote: Due to some requests, there's now a view which visualizes speed of (thunder-)sound on high zoom levels. Cool Lightning

I don't know if it's a problem with my browser (chrome on Win7) but the speed of sound seems to be about five times too high. I crudely measured your thunder rings expanding at about 1.5km per second rather than the .3Km/s I would have expected.

EDIT: I measured it on another PC, and the speed is now correct. So either I have a problem with my original PC, this has been fixed over the last week, or I just measured it wrong!

Thanks.
On the lightning map, we currently have the delay displayed in the upper left hand corner. Would it be possible to add a realtime, region-specific or displayed area-specific strike rate (strikes/second), too?
Stations: 1013
A new version of the map is online. There are still some minor bugs. The code has been completely rewritten which makes it easier to add new features. Stay tuned... Cool
Rain radar for USA has been added as additional overlay! Smile Lightning

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2014-08-22, 13:59)Tobi Wrote: Rain radar for USA has been added as additional overlay! Smile Lightning
Out-Damn-Standing

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2014-08-22, 13:59)Tobi Wrote: Rain radar for USA has been added as additional overlay! Smile Lightning

Can you explain how the Thunder selections work (the difference in the various Thunder settings, that is)? I don't see any differences in the display when I go from one selection to another (OFF to MAX). In fact, I always see the expanding rings on each strike even in the OFF position.

The radar feature works great!

I'm running latest version of Chrome.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808
(2014-08-22, 16:53)W3DRM Wrote:

Can you explain how the Thunder selections work (the difference in the various Thunder settings, that is)? I don't see any differences in the display when I go from one selection to another (OFF to MAX). In fact, I always see the expanding rings on each strike even in the OFF position.

The radar feature works great!

I'm running latest version of Chrome.

You have to be at about 50+ zoom level to see thunder representation. Zoomed out, all you see is the circle denoting a strike...

(2014-08-22, 16:53)W3DRM Wrote: Can you explain how the Thunder selections work (the difference in the various Thunder settings, that is)? I don't see any differences in the display when I go from one selection to another (OFF to MAX). In fact, I always see the expanding rings on each strike even in the OFF position.

There are differences in the amount of growing circles, minimum zoom level and time where the circle is visible. You can see it very good on storms with high strike rate. When there are too much strokes, you can loose overview in "max" setting. Lowering details is also useful for slow computers or (mobile-)devices. A similar feature for the stations will be added soon.
Thank you for adding the "strokes/minute" count to the display!
Stations: 1013
Hi folks. I love, love, love your website but it went all weird on me sometime this week. I can no longer get audible clicks, thunder circles or even the real time strike indicators. It's more like a static graphic. Did anyone else have a loss of functionality? I don't think I changed anything on my end. Using IE 11. Help, please.
(2014-08-29, 16:49)JohnLeeW Wrote: Hi folks. I love, love, love your website but it went all weird on me sometime this week. I can no longer get audible clicks, thunder circles or even the real time strike indicators. It's more like a static graphic. Did anyone else have a loss of functionality? I don't think I changed anything on my end. Using IE 11. Help, please.
I agree with JohnLeeW - IE 11 (version 11.0.9600.17239, update version 11.0.11) does not work correctly with either Blitzortung.org or Lightningmaps.org webpages. The Blitzortung.org real-time page works fine except for no sound. The Lightningmaps.org page is completely static with no apparent updates taking place. Other browsers such as Google Chrome, Opera & Safari all appear to be working just fine with full functionality.
Don - W3DRM - Minden, Nevada - U.S.A. --- Blitzortung Station: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KRNO2
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37S70, StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech C920 Pro USB webcam w/Hubble fix
[img=0x0]http://www.carsonvalleyweather.com/cvwx-banner.gif[/img]
Stations: 808
Yep, If you've got IE, roll back all the updates at least since Aug 1... they've really managed to screw it up this time...
Update issues actually go further back than that... one managed to really mess up Flash rendering, found that one on Win 8 and uninstalled it,
but haven't found the similar for Win 7 installs...
http://www.zdnet.com/what-went-wrong-wit...TRE17cfd61

Thanks for the advice. I installed Chrome (and I'm trying to get used to it). It did fix the problems I was having with lightningmaps.org. The features are working again.

Now I have a different issue: the graphics are all fuzzy in Chrome. The browser looks good, the bookmarks and other surrounding text is nice and sharp, but the stuff from the web page looks pretty bad. I have it open in IE and Chrome side by side and in the Chrome it's definitely low-res while IE still looks sharp. Any ideas what's up there?
Ok, it's a Chrome issue, apparently. Pretty much every website I go to looks like crap in Chrome, at least in comparison to IE. Pretty disappointing for my big initial foray with a new browser! I'm seeking a solution elsewhere. I see a lot posted about DPI settings, etc but nothing seems to work so far. I just wanted to clarify it's not a problem with lightningmaps.org specifically. -JLW

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No sound in Blitzortung.org Real Time Maps with FF >= 52.0 on Linux nerd65 1 13,474 2017-05-08, 08:31
Last Post: nerd65
  Web Page Real-Time Updates jkrob 6 37,405 2017-05-07, 13:19
Last Post: cutty
  Cycles time lightning alert website Phoenix-Blue 2 18,611 2016-03-28, 21:11
Last Post: Tobi
  Time lightning alert Phoenix-Blue 0 8,639 2015-08-23, 15:39
Last Post: Phoenix-Blue