LightningMaps.org: Real-time Lightning Map
I've added a view for smartphones and tablets. There's currently no manual switch, but it gets automatically enabled depending on the device screen size (responsive design). Like the whole rest, it's still very beta...
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2014-05-16, 17:54)Tobi Wrote: I've added a view for smartphones and tablets. There's currently no manual switch, but it gets automatically enabled depending on the device screen size (responsive design). Like the whole rest, it's still very beta...

My heavens. I wished some commercial released paid-for software worked as well as your betas do.

Dale
Stations: 976, 1505
Works great on Android Device!
H.
Stations: 959, 1007
hmm sound no longer works for android

are actually still other functions planned?
for example an alarm for a selected area reserved or so
shit my english is bad^^
Hi...

I have a problem when using the map in fullscreen mode.
There are white squares which appearing Smile

Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601
(2014-05-20, 17:22)DelandeC Wrote: I have a problem when using the map in fullscreen mode.

Seems like an issue with Google Maps itself. Try a different (newer?) Browser.

For closer investigation some more information of your system is needed.
It was with Google Chrome Version 34.0.1847.137 m

My system: Intel i3, 4Gb RAM, SSD disk.
Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601
Hey

Im wondering what are these circles around strike markers on the map while on maximum zoom.
(2014-05-24, 15:48)steelek Wrote: Hey

Im wondering what are these circles around strike markers on the map while on maximum zoom.
That's an 'error' circle... 'deviation' indication... the apparent accuracy of location of that strike.. Lightning Big Grin Stroke hit somewhere inside that circle....

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
It seems that recently the Real-Time Lightning Map starts centered on Europe, despite previous recent visits to the page.
Yet, before it would return to the US centered view where I left it.
It this under some kind of "cookie" control where it can return to the last location?
Is it possible to use a location feature from the ISP to center the map? It seems that a lot of web sites "know" where you are based on this.
I have a link to it under my web site, and I am concerned about US viewers deciding that this is for Europe only and not attempting to drag the map over to the US.

Greg
Stations: 706, 1682
(2014-05-30, 12:36)HamelGre Wrote: It seems that recently the Real-Time Lightning Map starts centered on Europe, despite previous recent visits to the page.
It this under some kind of "cookie" control where it can return to the last location?
Is it possible to use a location feature from the ISP to center the map? It seems that a lot of web sites "know" where you are based on this.
I have a link to it under my web site, and I am concerned about US viewers deciding that this is for Europe only and not attempting to drag the map over to the US.

Greg

On the first visit, the map is adjusted to position of the visitor, which is provided by a standard GeoIP database on the server. After dragging, zooming, switching stations/sound etc. a user cookie is updated. On the next call, this is used for restoring the previous map settings.

We didn't see a problem here, while testing that with different browsers. Can you test it again? FYI: You can force the GeoIP location when using private surfing in the browser or disable cookies.
(2014-05-30, 17:22)Tobi Wrote:
(2014-05-30, 12:36)HamelGre Wrote: It seems that recently the Real-Time Lightning Map starts centered on Europe, despite previous recent visits to the page.

Greg

On the first visit, the map is adjusted to position of the visitor, which is provided by a standard GeoIP database on the server. After dragging, zooming, switching stations/sound etc. a user cookie is updated. On the next call, this is used for restoring the previous map settings.

We didn't see a problem here, while testing that with different browsers. Can you test it again? FYI: You can force the GeoIP location when using private surfing in the browser or disable cookies.

Tobi,

To retest, I did the following:

I tried FF (29.0.1) "New Private Window" and it landed roughly centered on the Northern tip of Denmark.

Then I tried IE (11.0.8) "In Private" and it landed centered roughly on the Poland/Belarus border.

Greg
Fine here with IE 10,11 and latest FF...
except... IE shows no Full Screen button , and of course won't go full screen. FF is fine, if a bit slower than IE. Cookies work as explained by Tobi on both browsers, unless I clear them.

Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2014-05-30, 19:58)HamelGre Wrote: I tried FF (29.0.1) "New Private Window" and it landed roughly centered on the Northern tip of Denmark.

Then I tried IE (11.0.8) "In Private" and it landed centered roughly on the Poland/Belarus border.
You are right, it didn't work due to server-side caching of this page. It should work now, unless using IPv6 (supported soon).

(2014-05-30, 21:34)Cutty Wrote: Fine here with IE 10,11 and latest FF...
except... IE shows no Full Screen button , and of course won't go full screen. FF is fine, if a bit slower than IE. Cookies work as explained by Tobi on both browsers, unless I clear them.
The full screen mode is implemented as described in the documentation for each browser platform, but so far I didn't find the reason why it's not working in IE. For best speed, you should use Chrome.
(2014-05-31, 06:37)Tobi Wrote:
(2014-05-30, 19:58)HamelGre Wrote: I tried FF (29.0.1) "New Private Window" and it landed roughly centered on the Northern tip of Denmark.

You are right, it didn't work due to server-side caching of this page. It should work now, unless using IPv6 (supported soon).

(2014-05-30, 21:34)Cutty Wrote: Fine here with IE 10,11 and latest FF...
The full screen mode is implemented as described in the documentation for each browser platform, but so far I didn't find the reason why it's not working in IE. For best speed, you should use Chrome.

Thanks, Tobi.

Greg
Today with some wonderful storms in southern USA and out in the Gulf of Mexico, I was again mesmerized by the display of storms being 'watched' by the stations here.

I flipped to the FullScreen because I had finished my other computer based stuff and immediately noticed a huge difference in display. It was if things speeded up ten fold.

Many more screen writes with all sorts of activity dancing around. I flipped back to regular screen, because it seemed so dramatically faster and more strikes being shown, and things slowed down again. Maybe a strike every five to ten seconds, and going back to the full screen brought many many more lines, strike displays and overall looked almost like a different program.

I'm using Win7 with latest updates as of yesterday, and running FireFox, latest version as of this morning's check.

In Chrome, it shows the strikes, but despite the station on / off toggle being flipped , there are no station indicators nor green/blue lines indicating participation in the strikes.

Sort of weird, but when I can run FireFox full screen for just entertainment, the configuration right now is exceptionally entertaining.

Dale

I may have discovered the behavior change in my display.

When zoomed in, many of the very active storms in the Gulf of Mexico are now showing because the map coverage area is larger.

I was laboring under the assumption that if the program were displaying a strike and the station participation line was drawn, it would be drawn IF either the strike OR the station were on screen.

This is my not understanding the program completely, since it seems that the line is ONLY drawn if the strike is displayed. Even if a participating station is in the map display area, no line is drawn or participation indicated IF the strike is not also on the screen at the same time.

The reverse is not true. That is, IF the strike is displayed, a participation line towards the station IS drawn, even if the station is not currently in the range of the map display.

This is my error, and perhaps caused some consternation with my previous post.

Thanks to another computer next to the regular one I use, I was able to figure out how the zoom level was affecting things being displayed.

Assumptions are not always good, obviously.

The great storms in the Gulf and near Florida helped me figure this out.

Dale
Stations: 976, 1505
Why my station position (green point) is wrong place in real time lightning window ? It is app. 2 kilometers south from right position.
Does it any matter ?
Stations: 804
(2014-06-07, 13:04)zalama Wrote: Why my station position (green point) is wrong place in real time lightning window ? It is app. 2 kilometers south from right position.
Does it any matter ?
https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=482

Matthias
Stations: 370, 688
Yes !

Mine is about 2km too south, too Wink

Thomas
First station in Namibia (Southern Africa), look at #1305 !
Stations: 1006, 1305
Here's what I've written in the internal forum:
(2014-05-17, 06:51)Tobi Wrote: For privacy reasons the station coordinates on the map are rounded. There's no reason to see the exact position on this map, so I the stations are now hidden on higher zoom level.

It's just a compromise. We can also add an option for participants to show the exact coordinates of their stations to the public...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No sound in Blitzortung.org Real Time Maps with FF >= 52.0 on Linux nerd65 1 13,473 2017-05-08, 08:31
Last Post: nerd65
  Web Page Real-Time Updates jkrob 6 37,405 2017-05-07, 13:19
Last Post: cutty
  Cycles time lightning alert website Phoenix-Blue 2 18,611 2016-03-28, 21:11
Last Post: Tobi
  Time lightning alert Phoenix-Blue 0 8,639 2015-08-23, 15:39
Last Post: Phoenix-Blue