Search of the forum
Hi
The search option of this forum is terrible. MyBB is a terrible platform.
Searching for issues on this platform is hard and brings up terrible results. Hence the reason questions have to be answered multiple times. The administrators really need to change to a better forum platform such as phpbb or smf.
Rant over.
Chris
Station: 2677
The Vines Weather
Stations: 2677
(2024-09-13, 10:27)vinesweather Wrote: Hi
Searching for issues on this platform is hard and brings up terrible results. Hence the reason questions have to be answered multiple times. The administrators really need to change to a better forum platform such as phpbb or smf.
Rant over.
Chris
Confused I Agree...
There's a direct menu Link missing.... for 'advanced search'...
and it's hard to find,
https://forum.blitzortung.org/search.php
which is somewhat better...  hint: 'show results as POST'

Can get there from a 'regular page, this way:
Leave field blank. Click 'Search'
Page opens, note the breadcrumb menu:
Blitzortung.org Forum › Search
Click ' Search ' breadcrumb.

You can also reach it at bottom of a page which shows
'Forum Jump'
"Go"
select 'Search'.

Tobi owns the forum, and MyBB can be updated,... he simply does not have time.  There are
some improvements over the current production version, but it's a major upgrade, and Tobi has  a very busy life.

Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
(2024-09-13, 11:18)cutty Wrote:
(2024-09-13, 10:27)vinesweather Wrote: Hi
Rant over.
Chris
Confused I Agree...
There's a direct menu Link missing.... for 'advanced search'...
and it's hard to find,
https://forum.blitzortung.org/search.php
which is somewhat better...  hint: 'show results as POST'

Can get there from a 'regular page, this way:
Leave field blank. Click 'Search'
Page opens, note the breadcrumb menu:
Blitzortung.org Forum › Search
Click ' Search ' breadcrumb.

You can also reach it at bottom of a page which shows
'Forum Jump'
"Go"
select 'Search'.

Tobi owns the forum, and MyBB can be updated,... he simply does not have time.  There are
some improvements over the current production version, but it's a major upgrade, and Tobi has  a very busy life.
ADD... Forum IS currently running latest version.

Mike

Thanks Mike. It's frustrating. If Tobi gave access to a volunteer to update and chane to a better platform the work load would be off him. I found this article on smf.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community...c=578419.0

Anyhoo, it is what it is.
The Vines Weather
Also, please change the minimum required number of characters from 4 to 3. Then we can search for GPS as well as many other words with 3 letters!
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
(2024-09-13, 13:37)mwaters Wrote: Also, please change the minimum required number of characters from 4 to 3. Then we can search for GPS as well as many other words with 3 letters!

Minimum required is 4  per database configuration, full text search. Cannot over-ride.

I read the relevant MyBB documentation years ago, and it can indeed be changed. Smile
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
(2024-09-13, 15:13)mwaters Wrote: I read the relevant documentation years ago, and it can indeed be changed. Smile
Quote:e.g.
The settings have been updated successfully.

Please note that the Minimum Search Word Length setting was set to match the database system configuration.

If you use MySQL fulltext searching and set this lower than the MySQL setting - MySQL will override it.
DB is configured for 4.

I guess users will just have to ask the questions that have already been answered, in some cases many times and use wxforum as well.
The Vines Weather