High field RJ45
New sys blue kit builder here, looking for help with the 3 RJ45 connectors. Seems the front panel space for the Highfield RJ45 connector is smaller than the other RJ45 space. Just wondering if I am missing something, or if the Hf gets a different style of connector. Thanks. Jt
(2017-08-25, 18:30)Banff Wrote: New sys blue kit builder here, looking for help with the 3 RJ45 connectors. Seems the front panel space for the Highfield RJ45 connector is smaller than the other RJ45 space. Just wondering if I am missing something, or if the Hf gets a different style of connector. Thanks. Jt

Banff:

Welcome aboard.

All the connectors should fit standard RJ45's.  If you have any doubts try connecting a cable to them to confirm the fit.

...or maybe I'm not understanding your question??   Huh

--Kurt
Stations: 1809
3 RJ45 sockets? Mine only has two, one for the LAN connection and the other for the H-field. B-)

The LAN socket has LEDs and magnetics (isolation transformers), the H-field is a plain socket. The extra bits in the LAN connector add a mm or two to its height. Don't worry about getting parts in the wrong place, I'm 99% sure that none of them have the same footprint. So if it fits easyly it's in the right place, just check orientation.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
(2017-08-25, 23:38)allsorts Wrote: 3 RJ45 sockets? Mine only has two, one for the LAN connection and the other for the H-field.  B-)

The LAN socket has LEDs and magnetics (isolation transformers), the H-field is a plain socket. The extra bits in the LAN connector add a mm or two to its height. Don't worry about getting parts in the wrong place, I'm 99% sure that none of them have the same footprint. So if it fits easyly it's in the right place, just check orientation.

Hello,

& Thank you for helping. Turns out we recieved an extra RJ45 in our kit by mistake. 

John Thorntpn
BANFF
Stations: 2206
(2017-08-25, 21:33)N0BGS Wrote:
(2017-08-25, 18:30)Banff Wrote: New sys blue kit builder here, looking for help with the 3 RJ45 connectors. Seems the front panel space for the Highfield RJ45 connector is smaller than the other RJ45 space. Just wondering if I am missing something, or if the Hf gets a different style of connector. Thanks. Jt

Banff:

Welcome aboard.

All the connectors should fit standard RJ45's.  If you have any doubts try connecting a cable to them to confirm the fit.

...or maybe I'm not understanding your question??   Huh

--Kurt

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my question. Turns out our kit arrived with an extra RJ45 connector. 

John Thornton
BANFF

In case you do not have the case this plan of the back pannel may help.
Network: Ethernet cable to the network.
H-Field: RJ45 cable to the H-Field board.
Both should be shielded, for the H-Field shield is a must have.
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729
It is no longer recommended to shield the LAN cable. But as you say, the H-field cable must be shielded.
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
(2018-06-10, 18:05)mwaters Wrote: It is no longer recommended to shield the LAN cable. But as you say, the H-field cable must be shielded.

My LAN cable is not shielded. But I did not want to make wrong recommendations, thus I had a look into the official document here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KzPZ...l4st8he5ur which is linked from here http://de.blitzortung.org/cover_your_area.php. It says the following
Quote:The router is connected at the RJ45 network port with a shielded twisted pair network cable (FTP, STP, S/STP, or S/FTP).
Maybe this statement is outdated.
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729
That statement is indeed outdated, and Cutty himself said so. Do some searches on this forum and you'll see. :-)
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
(2018-06-10, 18:01)gerbold Wrote:

Thank you for sending the diagram.  Egon rectified our RJ45 issue for us.  We are a "running station" now. However, as far as I can tell, we are not contributing, so I am searching for threads on the forum about how to figure out what the problems are and how to troubleshoot them. 

Jt
(2018-06-10, 18:05)mwaters Wrote: It is no longer recommended to shield the LAN cable. But as you say, the H-field cable must be shielded.

Only post I see about this from Cutty was a suggestion for troubleshooting.

Even in that post he said he did not believe the shielded LAN cable was causing the noise.

I use as shielded LAN cable, I have no issues.

My thoughts have been to use shielded to contain the rf signal in the Ethernet cable and not radiate to the antennas.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
(2018-06-11, 00:22)Norquay Wrote:
(2018-06-10, 18:01)gerbold Wrote:

Thank you for sending the diagram.  Egon rectified our RJ45 issue for us.  We are a "running station" now. However, as far as I can tell, we are not contributing, so I am searching for threads on the forum about how to figure out what the problems are and how to troubleshoot them. 

Jt

Looking at your last signal sent to lightningmaps.org, you seem to be getting some heavy interference. Check for cfl lightbulbs, some flat screen tv’s, power supplies, etc. if you have a portable AM radio, you can walk around the house with it on and pinpoint a lot of noise sources. I had a flat screen LCD tv that would render the system unusable throughout the whole house! I replaced it with with an LED tv and all was well. 
Good luck!!
Stations: 1955