Blue Classic and Ham Radio possible interference
(2024-09-30, 13:49)KM4LFT Wrote: Our club is hoping to install a Blue Mini with filters on top of a 185 foot tower that's shared with ham radio antennas.  Ham radio transmitters are all less than 100 watts over the range of 3.5Mhz to 440Mhz.  Can anyone share their experience or expectations for possible interference on the Blue Mini from those transmitters?  Thanks, Larry, Georgia

There is no way to guess how a Blue Mini will behave in that environment. IMHO.

My system blue receiver sits in the radio room only a few feet from rigs, feedlines, coax, etc.  It is not grounded to the HAM station ground as recommended.  The 3 ferrite bar antenna, horizontal delta shape, sits on the floor in a bedroom down the hall, a few feet above the basement crawlspace, real ground.  Rarely does it go crazy when I transmit, up to 500w.  It does seem to not like 80m when transmitting over 100w sometimes. 

There is little reason to put the antenna or mini on a tower.  The e-field antenna--maybe.  I have not used my e-field components so have no experience.  There may be issues with long cable runs.

You want your antennas in as quiet a place as possible.   Use an AM/LF portable radio and search for as quiet a place as you can find and that is probably where you want to put your antenna.  Use a good, clean, low-noise power supply and some ferrite chokes on the cord if needed.
Stations: 1660

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blue Classic and Ham Radio possible interference - by VA_LM_Blue - 2024-10-01, 00:23

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  national radio quiet zone site davidsaroff 3 20,495 2017-04-29, 15:00
Last Post: Max_Headroom