Blue Classic and Ham Radio possible interference
(2024-10-01, 00:23)VA_LM_Blue Wrote:
There is little reason to put the antenna or mini on a tower.  The e-field antenna--maybe.  I have not used my e-field components so have no experience.  There may be issues with long cable runs.

Yes, any E-field antenna should be higher. Over your roofline. I had one about 20 feet high, which is what was recommended here.

I don't know —and I don't think anyone does— how an E-field antenna would perform at greater heights.

There will indeed be issues with long coax runs, namely, voltage drop! RG-6 cable has a thin layer of copper over a steel core. The DC resistance would be so high at 185' that the amplifier would not work. Perhaps if you used RG-11. I have some similar F-11 with an aluminum shield; the center conductor being copper over an aluminum core. But it's been a long time since I looked up the ohms per foot and calculated the I²R losses.

Another thing to consider is if the metal tower would affect it. It could couple to it.

I say, forget the tower. Put all your lightning antennas at a distance from it. Later, you can elevate the E-field antenna and see how it works. Smile
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blue Classic and Ham Radio possible interference - by mwaters - 2024-10-01, 21:53

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  national radio quiet zone site davidsaroff 3 20,495 2017-04-29, 15:00
Last Post: Max_Headroom