Propagation... why do I miss some signals?
(2018-10-22, 01:58)Cutty Wrote:
(2018-10-21, 22:42)vk2him Wrote: .,.. one pedantic point though sticks out with the E Field - Are you sure the probes at different locations sense these changes instantaneously? - I'd think sensing is delayed by propagation though our atmosphere due to the speed of light through our atmosphere. I know Quantum mechanics allows for instantaneous transmission over an unlimited distance due to Quantum entanglement, however I don't think the E/A capacitor falls into that category?

Without all the advanced physics possibilities, ... which I've no understanding, .... like, "how fast is gravity?"
... let's just assume propagation at C, ... then it's more about this... which I can wrap my teeny old brain around: Big Grin
....at the location of the device (antenna or probe) the probe responds instantaneously to it's environmental charge,  as opposed to antenna 'delays'...
as in  E Charge H Magnetic  with E also, in a manner of speaking,  reflecting a better 'energy content' image of the impulse, especially in 'pre-discharge' time
[Image: instantE%20vrs%20M.png]

I think I follow what you're saying, this is interesting as it's not how I understood it worked and I'd like to learn more ... using the graph in your post as an example, are you saying that since the magenta E signal appears before the M Green signal, then it's because the M antenna takes longer to display the signal (due to antenna 'delays')?

My understanding of how e-probes and antenna work in transferring the energy they receive is a bit different- assuming equal internal processing delays by the BO receiver regardless of E or M inputs, a Magnetic impulse hitting the antenna at the exact same instant the eProbe senses the charge from the same lightning source should have identical start points in time on the graph. This is because a magnetic impulse and E signal travel at the speed of light - the rise in the graph shows the increase in the energy received by both sources (M and E). Therefore, if the E displays before the M then it can only be cause the E arrives before the M ... To my thinking there is only two possibilities of why the E arrived before the M in your graph 1) The E component of the strike was "created" before the M signal - I'm not 100% sure of the physics involved in a lightning strike, what "part" of the strike creates the M and E and is one "made" before the other? and 2) the E signal took a more direct route than the M which was delayed slightly due to reflection, ie, the M signal travelled a slightly further distance and was therefore displayed behind the E.

As an aside and if you're interested ... gravity travels at the speed of light - if the sun suddenly disappeared by magic right now, the earth would continue to orbit where the sun used to be until the exact same time that we saw the sun's light "disappear" - the earth would then shoot off into space in a straight line at the exact same time.

Cheers
[Image: wxgraphic.php?type=banner_big]

Stations: 2039

Messages In This Thread
RE: Propagation... why do I miss some signals? - by vk2him - 2018-10-22, 09:19