column header
Hello
where to find a description of the column header meanings (i.e. effectivity "S", "M" and "L")? What do these figures indicate? Can one conclude troubles or mafunctioning hw based on these numbers?

Thanks and best regards
Hans
Stations: 1355
(2015-06-19, 14:17)hazet Wrote: Hello
where to find a description of the column header meanings (i.e. effectivity "S", "M" and "L")? What do these figures indicate? Can one conclude troubles or mafunctioning hw based on these numbers?

Thanks and best regards
Hans

Hi Hans,

S= Short distance <50 km
M=Medium distance 51-500 km
L=Long distance 501-5000 km

The percentage gives an indication of the station's performance. the higher, the better. If your station sends a lot of noise, not connected to lightning the percentages decreases. A lot of good signals connected to lightning the percentage goes up.

Gerhard
www.weeropdeveluwe.nl
Stations: 711, 1351
Hi Gerhard
Thanks for your reply! It's what I guessed but was not sure about . . .
However, how to improve signal quality with an e-Field amplifyer as this one adjusts automatically? Can it be achieved only by displacement of the ferrit rod antennas or is there any other way to lower interference / improve signal quality? Any hints?
Cheers
Hans
(2015-06-19, 20:01)hazet Wrote: Hi Gerhard
Thanks for your reply! It's what I guessed but was not sure about . . .
However, how to improve signal quality with an e-Field amplifyer as this one adjusts automatically? Can it be achieved only by displacement of the ferrit rod antennas or is there any other way to lower interference / improve signal quality? Any hints?
Cheers
Hans
Hi Hans,

You are using the H-field amp. The first thing i did was test out different locations for the ferrites. Then i made a good, clean ground, by hammering a 2m long copper pipe in the ground. We have easy soil for that here;-) no rocks! do not use the ground from the electrical system in your house, and only ground the controller, not the amp! After that i did a lot of testing and trying different gain and threshols settings, till i got it right (I hope...)

have fun
Gerhard
Stations: 711, 1351
Hi Gerhard
Thanks for your hints!
Already tried out to find the best location for the ferrite rods. Test with outside grounding will be next (I thought that grounding via LAN cable and router to be sufficient as it's mentioned in the technical manual). Actually I'm trying out with different manual threshold limit settings . . . Smile
Regards out of the provence
Hans
Station 1355
Hi Hazet...
It's possible that you and I are in similar circumstances... I've had to reduce my normal gains because of EM environment changes this summer, and have become a "short range" (<1000km) station, for now.  I've a very noisy environment.... that's not too bad, since one of the network paradigms is, more or less, "every station working at about 600km and overlapping"... if you will... data beyond a few thousand KM  doesn't necessarily help with the network paradigm, and most data <-30-50km is not necessarily usable, for many reasons.  Non the less, many of us rate ourselves on "distance" rather than 'quality'... it's natural, and good clean stroke detection at distance is viable as an indication of how good our system is....
however... as in my case... with a noisy environment I cannot work with that assumption.... since the 'junk' signals over-ride and obscure my true capability.  Would you believe that I finally found a 2M x 2M x 2M cube of space in front of my garage door that is the optimal location for my ferrites?  
It's true, and took some time and experimentation.   Now, other noises have entered, and I'm not able to mitigate them... so...

...I have left my specific thresholds at 120 for H field, 80 for E field, operate with "alternate channel mapping' to discriminate between the 5 channels of RED, and run lower gains than I'd prefer.  I run in "manual" mode, rather than "auto" because auto will absolutely drive me nuts.  I do not use either of the two firmware filters available, since they are rather specific, and do not apply to my situation. 

And with all this 'inconsistency"  my station is usually in the "top ten", if you will, in Region 3 (Americas)... Will you do as well?  Don't know.  This is not a "plug and play" thing.. as Gerhard implied, you're going to have to do a lot of optimizing,....  we WILL NOT use the phrase "tuning"... this is an "unturned" system... let's call it optimizing...   with the goal being "best signal, overall"  not "longest distance"... etc....

It's not possible for the system, presently, to actually have a precise indication of "effectiveness" or "efficiency"... simply because there are too many variable, antenna type, location, environment, soil resistance, humidity, cell location in relation to station Shy   and the list goes on and on...  So while the developers 'attempt' to provide some 'indication' of 'effectiveness' or 'efficiency' is important, and once understood, viable,.. it "does not mean a lot' when you are refining and optimizing your local environment...,.

Many of the "Americas" region (3 north and south America, etc) operators  have chased issues up and down, north pole to south pole, here
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=115.0
And we'd welcome anyone to join us there... and we believe that a THOROUGH reading of that board, as well as this one, will help folks with questions such as yours....  As Gerhard said, in effect, this is not going to happen automatically... you must "chase perfection" in your own location, EM environment, etc,...
Go For it ! 
It's more fun than a barrel of Rum Dunked Monkeys!
Cheers!'
Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
Hi Mike
Lot's of thanks over the big pond out of the Provence for your extensive explanations!
"... you must "chase perfection". Yes, I'll try/do that.
Cheers
Hans
Yeah, I've a tendency to get 'Long Fingered" and enter long posts... I won't apologize for that, however... Tongue
The most important thing here:

You are willing to do the work, research, trial and error, that is required to have a "great" station! 
And you will have, because of that!  Your station exists in its own "environment', and the 'living conditions' will be unique...
so as you explore, and discover that "localization" related to season, time of day, etc, LAUGH!  Have Fun!  Enjoy!

Cheers!
Mike

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020