System Blue availability?
Question 
Greetings,

As the summer 2015 thunderstorm season is roaring in good progress..just wanted to ask
what is the current status of System Blue -production? I for one would have two possible locations
to cover, one with fiber, one with 4G connectivity. When we can expect the next generation boards and
with what price?

NorthObserver
(2015-07-06, 10:04)NorthObserver Wrote: Greetings,

As the summer 2015 thunderstorm season is roaring in good progress..just wanted to ask
what is the current status of System Blue -production? I for one would have two possible locations
to cover, one with fiber, one with 4G connectivity. When we can expect the next generation boards and
with what price?

NorthObserver

Hello N. O. Smile

There is no release date announced.  Pre-production testing is ongoing. Please monitor the "Cover Your Area" and "What's New" web pages at http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?page=3 and http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?age=2 for any official information and updates. 
Any availability will also be announced here in the forum, Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/Blitzortung?fref=nf), et.al. 
Cheers!

Stations: 689, 791, 1439, 3020
Hello and welcome Smile

Be careful that it can be very traffic consuming.
My red station uploads up to 2,5GB a day when there is huge thunderstorm in Benelux, Western Europe or Central Europe. Wink
Clément
Stations: 252, 733, 1440, 2601
The next generation boards and prices will update soon here
(2015-07-06, 14:51)DelandeC Wrote: Hello and welcome Smile

Be careful that it can be very traffic consuming.
My red station uploads up to 2,5GB a day when there is huge thunderstorm in Benelux, Western Europe or Central Europe. Wink

Ouch! At that rate my monthly allowance from Orange would soon be used up. It would also slow my 18Mb/sec (bits not bytes) connection down a lot and that is downstream. My upstream is only 0.9 Mb/sec.
The upload speed is not (less) important. 0.9Mbps is more than enough.

If I remember well, 2.5GB was for a massive storm over Netherlands in the end of May.

Yesterday I used 300MB.
Clément
(2015-08-26, 15:48)DelandeC Wrote: The upload speed is not (less) important. 0.9Mbps is more than enough.

If I remember well, 2.5GB was for a massive storm over Netherlands in the end of May.

Yesterday I used 300MB.

That is still 45 minutes of 100% of my upload speed. If I am using all the upstream capacity, the downstream rate drops to less than 10% of normal speed. I am not sure this is going to work with the rural French internet I have. It has just been upgraded this year with a better fibre "pipe" to the village exchange, which increased my downstream rate from 5 Mb/sec to 18-19 Mb/sec, so it will not get upgraded further, to say fibre to the property, for a long time. We were supposed to get VDSL/2+ in France like I have just got at my UK house, which would have trebled the upstream rate but apparently the copper wires from the exchange to my property were too poor and it did not work at all. It then took the "wonderful" Orange four weeks to reinstate the ADSL, which they had switched off in error.
They will probably need to install vectoring technology which is a noise cancellation system. This is what Proximus uses here in Belgium. FO to a street cabinet 1.2km far from the final user.
It works well with my backup (still in ADSL, I'm too far from the "FO system") connexion which has an upstream of 0.4Mbps and I barely see it with my normal connexion 100/5Mbps (coax cable).

This is very tiny packets but a huge amount depending of the number of signals.
Maybe you can ask the French operators if they have problem with their connexion: http://www.blitzortung.fr
Clément
I'm also on Orange south Toulouse with just 8Mb down and the usual capped 1 Mb up.

I don't feel much of the station, even with heavy storms around. Except if you 'torrent' all the time with full BW usage you won't see the traffic pass .. and Orange has no datalimit in France, it is unlimited.
Stations: 1476
My main heavy usage of downstream is when I switch on my VPN to give me a UK IP address and watch Sky television by logging on to my UK Sky account. This is normally for sports events that are not being broadcast on Free to Air television. To get HD, this uses all my downstream bandwidth. However this is only about every two weeks or so to watch F1 GP practice and racing. For health reasons I have had to give up my race competition licence, due to delayed after effects from a very bad accident in the 1970's but I still like to watch it.
won't make you miss your racing events ;-) like yesterday I upped around 40 mb in 24 hours ... in worst cases if it nasty on telly (2 hours a race) you can always pull the plug on station, once you finished your race, plug it in again and you're back in the network in no time (though others will tell you it is not nice to cut the station for telly ;-) )
Stations: 1476
(2015-08-27, 10:00)Eric.Wouters Wrote: won't make you miss your racing events ;-) like yesterday I upped around 40 mb in 24 hours ... in worst cases if it nasty on telly (2 hours a race) you can always pull the plug on station, once you finished your race, plug it in again and you're back in the network in no time (though others will tell you it is not nice to cut the station for telly ;-) )

Thanks for the info Eric. I will remember this for after I get a System Blue up and running. "Well Eric told me that was what to do"  Big Grin

Wilson
I curious of the status on System Blue. Developers thought spring or summer this year, and now we are more than a week in to fall.
Can we get any update on the status? Possible ETA?
Anything we can do to help with the design or testing?
-> https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread....80#pid9980