Lightning books & papers to read?
Greetings,

I have the book All About Lightning, Martin A. Uman (1971, 1986) and some other general meteorology texts.  I'm wondering if there are additional
books or papers worth reading that discuss the lightning process, VLF/LF propagation of those signals, and any related topics that the forum
experts can recommend?

Thank you.

I guess not! Thanks, information is everywhere...
Stations: 1660
There is a book "Fundamentals of Lightning" by Rakov which is a good general introduction to the subject.
Stations: 1075, 1472
There is a book from Vernon Cooray titled " An Introduction to Lightning" which gives a very good overview of the subject. It is written for undergraduate students but seriously interested amateurs will also be able to understand most of it. The book is from Springer. ISBN 978-94-017-8937-0
Sort of hard to find...  but a must is Robert Helliwell's WHISTLERS AND RELATED IONOSPHERIC PHENOMENON (Stanford University Press, 1965).

This is THE bible of any sort of understanding of natural VLF radio phenomenon.
(2017-04-30, 20:50)GAVNO Wrote: Sort of hard to find...  but a must is Robert Helliwell's WHISTLERS AND RELATED IONOSPHERIC PHENOMENON (Stanford University Press, 1965).

This is THE bible of any sort of understanding of natural VLF radio phenomenon.

https://ia600301.us.archive.org/25/items...nomena.pdf
Stations: 1726
Greetings,

Thanks to all for the references and links to papers.  Good material for further study and understanding.
Very much appreciated.

Jim
Stations: 1660
Dear collegues,
Books this subject are usually either very rare or pretty expensive.
I can recommend 2 books that shed  some scientific light on the propagation issues:

"ionospheric Radio" by Kenneth Davies
"The propagation of radio waves" by K.G. Budden.
Some time ago I made a powerpoint presentation for my radio amateur friends that I based upon a number of excellent documents that I found on the internet.

I attach my favourite to this post for your information.
The total lot is about 11 MB which is too big for ttransferring via this post.

as search terms you can use :

"1520-0426(1986)003_0630_AOSFTR_2.0.pdf"
"craig.ag.2004.pdf"
"Electromagnetic signatures of lightning near the  HF band.pdf"
"Validation_of_an_operational_lightning_detection_system.pdf"

Good hunting !
-- wim --

Attached Files
.pdf   dowden.toga.article.pdf (Size: 570.86 KB / Downloads: 30)
thank you for reading my message.
I look forward to your advice.
-- wim --
Stations: 1392
I recommend “Lightning: Physics and Effects” by Vladimir A. Rakov and Martin A. Uman. The book is about lightning physics, lightning protection and the interaction of lightning with a variety of objects and systems with the environment. And also “How Dangerous Is Lightning” by Christian Bouquegneau and Vladimir Rakov. It talks about the physical effects of lightning as well as secondary effects, lightning protection, and the understanding of lightning.