Questions. Mountains and Antennas
Antennas- My Blue seems to be working great but I was wondering if I should be using the E-field antenna with the H-Field antenna. At the moment all I use is the H-Field.

Mountains- I may be moving to Durango, CO in a few months (current system will remain here if I can get another Blue). Do mountains pose a problem for receiving signals?
Michael Lloyd  NE5U
Weimar, TX USA
Stations: 1745
My understanding is the E-Field is more for close lightning strikes and the H-Field is for medium and longer distance strikes.

Definitely won't hurt to have both running.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
The e-field antenna is required when one would like to know the polarity of the flash (negative or positive) and this may be evaluated in the future, so since the effort is not great (20 cm of wire) you should give it a try.
(2017-05-13, 15:04)pasense Wrote: The e-field antenna is required when one would like to know the polarity of the flash (negative or positive) and this may be evaluated in the future, so since the effort is not great (20 cm of wire) you should give it a try.

(2017-05-06, 06:18)kevinmcc Wrote: My understanding is the E-Field is more for close lightning strikes and the H-Field is for medium and longer distance strikes.

Definitely won't hurt to have both running.

Thanks for the info. I'll put the E-Field back in service then
Michael Lloyd  NE5U
Weimar, TX USA
Stations: 1745
(2017-05-05, 13:04)Mike6158 Wrote: Mountains- I may be moving to Durango, CO in a few months (current system will remain here if I can get another Blue). 

Hello Michael,

If you do move to Durango, have a means to leave your station behind and maintained, and need a mother Blue, please contact me directly. You can find my email address on QRZ.com.

Tim, AA5DF
Austin, TX
Stations: 1734, 1742, 1743

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie questions regarding Blue and ferrit antennas sebihepp 3 22,470 2016-05-12, 18:10
Last Post: africaone