BOM and Gerber Files?
I just discovered this community a few days back and am signed up on the waiting list for a blue kit.  Seeing that I am 3255 on the wait list and it appears that there are 2 other stations  within a few hours drive (FL/USA) so it'll be a while.

Don't get me wrong, I AM NOT complaining about the wait, but I am finishing my parts collection for a weather station and would like to integrate this project from the beginning if possible.  The technicals of productions are not a problem so I am wondering if the full BOM and gerber files are available so I can just make my own?
For one, I don't think you will be discriminated against because of the close stations. Rather, if they see a location requesting a station where the REALLY need coverage, you'll get bumped ahead.

Others have asked for the files so they can manufacture boards. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Individually, having a station will do nothing for the weather station you are building. You can include the Blitz / LMO links on your page. If you have data access after beginning to send data, you can do the MyBlitzortung thing.
Stations: 1156
(2017-09-03, 01:43)BobW Wrote: For one, I don't think you will be discriminated against because of the close stations. Rather, if they see a location requesting a station where the REALLY need coverage, you'll get bumped ahead.

Others have asked for the files so they can manufacture boards. Nope. Not gonna happen.

Individually, having a station will do nothing for the weather station you are building. You can include the Blitz / LMO links on your page. If you have data access after beginning to send data, you can do the MyBlitzortung thing.

Thanks for the info.  No worries with discrimination, and it only makes sense to provide more attention to those that will provide more useful data.

For the wx station comment, I was just hoping to easily design the housing, commz and (solar/battery) power system with the Blue ready to go.  That way I wouldn't have to take the station down and modify it later.

I understand keeping a close-hold on the design.  If people start messing with the design, intentionally or not it will mess with the data.  I have no problem waiting in line with everybody else...just thought maybe I could ease the burden.  Doesn't hurt to ask though right?

This is a great project and it falls right in with my current projects and what I am trying to teach my kid.  Let me know if there is anything I can help with in the meantime.
So you only need dimensions of the board, positions of the connectors and mounting holes, etc? The board is a shade under 139 x 131 mm. The connectors are along the shorter side with the LEDs opposite. There are three mounting holes, two are in the corners of the LED side 0.3" in from the board edges. Other positions are not so easy to get.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
Hello,

I too would be very interested in gerber files and a BOM.  Somebody here in the US ought to help out and have a run of boards made that meet all specifications.  It would help with the project and I can't imagine reducing the workload on the blitzortung crew would not be appreciated.  I am a newbie and am very excited to take part in the project.  It's a bummer that there is no projected date for when I might be able to get a set.  I am fully capable of having my own board made and populating it or teaming up with others in a group buy to get it accomplished.

I am not complaining either, I just am excited to take part and want to get rolling!

Thanks,

Steve
(2018-06-29, 05:51)Apogee Wrote: Hello,

I too would be very interested in gerber files and a BOM.  Somebody here in the US ought to help out and have a run of boards made that meet all specifications.  It would help with the project and I can't imagine reducing the workload on the blitzortung crew would not be appreciated.  I am a newbie and am very excited to take part in the project.  It's a bummer that there is no projected date for when I might be able to get a set.  I am fully capable of having my own board made and populating it or teaming up with others in a group buy to get it accomplished.

I am not complaining either, I just am excited to take part and want to get rolling!

Thanks,

Steve

Making the boards is one thing, programming them is another.

Part of the hold up is the programming and testing that is done before they are shipped.

I am not sure what all is required in that step, may not be as simple as making board and put firmware on.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539
Please also have in mind, that an increase of stations in a certain region doesn't mean, that detection will be better. It can even get worse when there are too much stations sending too much signals or even garbage. That's why delivery of hardware is currently priorized on regions with low station coverage.
Stations: 538, 1534, 1712, 2034, 2219
(2018-07-06, 11:47)Tobi Wrote: Please also have in mind, that an increase of stations in a certain region doesn't mean, that detection will be better. It can even get worse when there are too much stations sending too much signals or even garbage. That's why delivery of hardware is currently priorized on regions with low station coverage.

True, also keep in mind that these sensors aren't for detecting lightning "close" to its installation location.  I am in the lightning capital of the US (central Florida) but am probably not in a priority zone.

Is there a priority location map somewhere?  Also, is there somewhere to see where we are on the wait list?

Programming the module wouldn't be anything more than flashing the latest version of the code...shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
(2018-09-03, 14:18)lowriderdog37 Wrote:
(2018-07-06, 11:47)Tobi Wrote: Please also have in mind, that an increase of stations in a certain region doesn't mean, that detection will be better. It can even get worse when there are too much stations sending too much signals or even garbage. That's why delivery of hardware is currently priorized on regions with low station coverage.

True, also keep in mind that these sensors aren't for detecting lightning "close" to its installation location.  I am in the lightning capital of the US (central Florida) but am probably not in a priority zone.

Is there a priority location map somewhere?  Also, is there somewhere to see where we are on the wait list?

Programming the module wouldn't be anything more than flashing the latest version of the code...shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

I used to check my position by re-entering my information when I first signed up and it showed where I am on the list. How ever, some users reports that this is no longer working

This link will show the population density of detectors.
https://www.lightningmaps.org/extra/coverage?lang=en
[/url]
[url=https://www.lightningmaps.org/extra/coverage?lang=en]

Regards
[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
(2018-09-03, 14:28)dupreezd Wrote: ...
I used to check my position by re-entering my information when I first signed up and it showed where I am on the list. How ever, some users reports that this is no longer working

I checked this several times recently. For me the mechanism is working. When I enter my mail address, country and the little text here http://en.blitzortung.org/cover_your_area.php I get my first registration date, my current position on the list and the total number of requests in the list.
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729
It really surprises me that there is a single choke point. There are some obvious advantages around uniformity having them all manufactured and distributed through a single channel but man if this was Open-source hardware imagine how many members of the community could help out!
(2019-04-06, 19:30)bostwickenator Wrote: It really surprises me that there is a single choke point. There are some obvious advantages around uniformity having them all manufactured and distributed through a single channel but man if this was Open-source hardware imagine how many members of the community could help out!

This has been discussed countless times before on this forum. Sorry I don't have any links, but the short answer is that it just ain't gonna happen. There are valid reasons for that.

Admin Edit: check PM, Mike
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
I respect the work that has gone into this project but it really surprises me that authentication onto the network cannot be managed in such a way that the schematics can be open while maintaining a single validated supply.
Is it still up to date that the system RED files are published? -> https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread...6#pid21916
Station 2914