Housing for System Blue (laser cut/3d print)
Hi all.

Just got my System Blue built and ready for use, however, I currently don't have a housing for the unit.

I have a laser cutter and access to a 3D printer.

Are there any laser cut files (I will make out of acrylic) or 3D print files available for System Blue so I can make my own housing?

If so, could you please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!
At first, I just hung my controller from whatever was handy along the wall of my basement. Later, I copied what Cutty (Mike, one of the moderators here) did and used a clear polycarbonate anti-static hard drive shipping box. Photo at http://www.w0btu.com/files/misc/Lightnin...1977photos.

But it sounds like you can do much better that I did!

EDIT: Where are you located?
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
Thanks Mike.

I'm located in Melbourne, Australia. There's a couple of sites around the city already, but the strike detection rate is usually quite unreliable. I'm hoping this system will greatly improve that.

It's being installed on the roof of a medical facility, and the controller in a server room, so it all needs to look very professional.

Cheers
Ah, I was wondering where the controller would be located, inside, outside, hidden or on view. In a server room a 1U rack case containing the controller, PSU, with connectors on the back and blinking lights on the front might be easy to install if there is rack space... Something like:

http://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/rcg-21-...dp/DP29116
http://cpc.farnell.com/penn-elcom/r2110-...dp/EN55275

Not so much fun as making something from scratch though.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
Is it too late to buy the housing from Ergon? It's a great looking enclosure, albeit relatively expensive ...
[Image: wxgraphic.php?type=banner_big]

Stations: 2039
I've designed and test cut a box on the laser. Just needs a few adjustments and I'll have the final design. I'll post the files here for anyone looking to make their own
Stations: 2120
I've made a couple of prototypes now and have my final design.  I may still do some tweaks, but I'm fairly happy with the result.

The first prototypes were made using plywood, and the final in perspex (acrylic).

I kind of like the plywood.  Gives a steampunk look to things (perhaps I could add nixie tubes to the top!), but the perspex is much more professional.

If there's enough interest, I can probably make a few more.

[Image: IMG_4308.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4313.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4312.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4320.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4314.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4315.jpg?raw=1]

[Image: IMG_4316.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4317.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4318.jpg?raw=1]
I love the wood one though security wise .. if ever a component get's hot or a little spark .. can be dangerous ...

really very nice work
Stations: 1476
both looks good... actually, i recall the raspberry pi do have wooden casings available as well.

Perhaps those at Australia can get their casings from you if interested/download it when you share.
Stations: 1876, 2013, 2257, 2272
Looks great! I'd love the wooden one however I already bought the metal one ..
[Image: wxgraphic.php?type=banner_big]

Stations: 2039
(2018-01-25, 23:21)higherperspective Wrote: I've made a couple of prototypes now and have my final design.  I may still do some tweaks, but I'm fairly happy with the result.

The first prototypes were made using plywood, and the final in perspex (acrylic).

I kind of like the plywood.  Gives a steampunk look to things (perhaps I could add nixie tubes to the top!), but the perspex is much more professional.

If there's enough interest, I can probably make a few more.

[Image: IMG_4308.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4313.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4312.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4320.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4314.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4315.jpg?raw=1]

[Image: IMG_4316.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4317.jpg?raw=1] [Image: IMG_4318.jpg?raw=1]

Hi,
Well I must say it looks good.
So I am interested in the perspex one (blue and white)
I understand that the price will bet better if more people are buying one.  (so can you give me / us a price ? )

Regards Peter
Stations: 2083
Probably around $40 AUD incl postage to locations in Australia (International extra).
(2018-02-08, 00:55)higherperspective Wrote: Probably around $40 AUD incl postage to locations in Australia (International extra).

Oke one question is the housing for system blue pcb 19.4? 
I understood that there are some minor difference between the systemboards.
So I wonder if all the holes are on the right place.

If so I am interested.

Peter
(2018-01-26, 06:20)Eric.Wouters Wrote: I love the wood one though security wise .. if ever a component get's hot or a little spark .. can be dangerous ...

really very nice work

Eric, I really doubt whether that would happen, don't you think?  Wink
Regards,
Mike W.
Stations: 1977, 2294
(2018-02-08, 14:47)PeterTim Wrote: Oke one question is the housing for system blue pcb 19.4? 

If so I am interested.

Peter

That's correct, they're designed for the current 19.4 units.

However, if you're able to give me some measurements of mounting hole locations and some images of the other boards, I can certainly modify the design to suit.
The newer main boards have the ethernet chip moved away from the VLF front end to over by the buzzer. The GPS module sits between the ethernet connector and the VLF front end. This means the GPS antenna connector and ethernet connector have swapped places. I think something has happened down near the USB power input as well but that *might* not involve any connector movements.

The compendium has PNG's of, at least the earlier, PCB design and layout with grid, so you can get positions can be optained from that. Which might be better than physically measuring a PCB.
Cheers
Dave.

Stations: 1627
(2018-02-08, 22:21)higherperspective Wrote:
(2018-02-08, 14:47)PeterTim Wrote: Oke one question is the housing for system blue pcb 19.4? 

If so I am interested.

Peter

However, if you're able to give me some measurements of mounting hole locations and some images of the other boards, I can certainly modify the design to suit.

I will see if I can get some info about the measurements.  Is it possible to make a housing with clear acrylic? so not the wite and blue but complete clear?
I will make a picture of the housing Egon created (or someone else - but I mean the housing blitzortung delivers when you order it.
(2018-02-09, 09:32)PeterTim Wrote:

If so I am interested.

Peter

I will see if I can get some info about the measurements.  Is it possible to make a housing with clear acrylic? so not the wite and blue but complete clear?
I will make a picture of the housing Egon created (or someone else - but I mean the housing blitzortung delivers when you order it.

I can make them in any colour your like, including clear.
(2018-02-10, 01:13)higherperspective Wrote:
(2018-02-09, 09:32)PeterTim Wrote:

If so I am interested.

Peter

I can make them in any colour your like, including clear.
Well I can't find the measurements - maybe Egon or Tobi can point us in the right direction. I will give that a try - send a email and wait what happens -  Keep you posted.

This is the reply I 've got from Egon.  

the board size is the same for all version 19.x, see

Thee are the dimensions of the board. So separated: 
The controller board is 138.43 x 130.18 (as far as I can see) 

Hope this is use full for you.

http://de.blitzortung.org/Compendium/Har..._5_brd.png 
Photo 
After some e-mail I orderd a acrillic housing from Liam for my system Blue.
It took 14 day's before it arrived with the postal service. 
Today I took the system out of it's Alu. housing and buld it in to the acrillic one.
The results....

Again Thanks Liam !  Lightning