Become a participant
Hi all, 

I am posting here because I tried to get in touch with Blitzortung but didn’t manage. I am working for a company which owns and operates wind and solar farms. I am an operation supervisor there. I am looking for a solution to detect lightning around our assets in order to protect the people who intervene on the machines. I would thus need to access a real time lighting database. The goal is not to sell anything, only to create alerts to guarantee the safety of the workers on our sites.

Do you think that this use could be aligned with the policy of Blitzortung? We are open on the form (eventually and if it’s necessary to have access to the data we could develop an open platform of alerts using Blitzortung data), and on the way we can participate (from installing detectors to a financial participation).

Thank you for your answers!
(2018-08-06, 16:58)sunwind Wrote: Hi all, 

I am posting here because I tried to get in touch with Blitzortung but didn’t manage. I am working for a company which owns and operates wind and solar farms. I am an operation supervisor there. I am looking for a solution to detect lightning around our assets in order to protect the people who intervene on the machines. I would thus need to access a real time lighting database. The goal is not to sell anything, only to create alerts to guarantee the safety of the workers on our sites.

Do you think that this use could be aligned with the policy of Blitzortung? We are open on the form (eventually and if it’s necessary to have access to the data we could develop an open platform of alerts using Blitzortung data), and on the way we can participate (from installing detectors to a financial participation).

sunwind, while it is understandable what you are trying to accomplish, please read this first so you are aware of the implications such as liability in case something should happen. Take note of the part in red.

Regards

https://www.lightningmaps.org/about?lang=en
[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
(2018-08-06, 16:58)sunwind Wrote: Hi all, 

Hello sunwind,

becomming a station operator will be the first step to get access to the data. But even if you are station operator it would be not covered by the terms of use to use the data for the protection of life and techonolgy.

See also http://en.blitzortung.org/contact.php. The following text is a quote:
"Blitzortung.org" is not an official authority for lightning or thunderstorm data. The data shown on our website is provided only for private and entertainment purposes. The project "Blitzortung.org" is for the contributors merely a voluntary leisure activity.

It is not allowed to use our lightning data for storm warning systems, for plausibility checks of overvoltage damages, or risk analysis for precautionary protection of high-quality technology, even if the data are not obtained directly from our site but from third-party websites.

Cheers Klaus
Stations: 2065, 2398, 2729
Thank you for your answers, it is really clear now!

Regards
If you workers have Android phones then have them use this app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...p&hl=en_US

They can set an alarm to go off when lightning is near by.

You can also customize the alert sound as well to distinguish the lightning alarm from other alerts.

Great app, been using for years.
Kevin McCormick KB0UOI
Macomb, IL USA
Stations: 1539

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Participant status tkerby 2 3,597 2023-01-28, 17:16
Last Post: tkerby
  how to change status to participant braind 25 75,771 2021-08-13, 23:08
Last Post: dupreezd
  Getting Participant status. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. michidragon 15 59,391 2018-10-14, 03:05
Last Post: neil9