Blue e-field antenna question
Hello,

The documentation for the Blue kit indicates that one can use the 'built-in' antenna and includes a photo of the PCB with the rectangular section opposite the antenna screw terminal, and labeled 'Probe / Antenna' below, still attached. That rectangular section is not electrically connected to the e-field board.

[attachment=4491]

It's been 25+ years since my coursework in electromagnetics so I'm a bit ignorant at this point. Is that separate rectangular section coupled in some way even though it is not electrically connected?

What, exactly, is the 'built-in' antenna?

Is it preferred to use a wire instead of the 'built-in' antenna?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(2021-07-05, 18:40)llowrey Wrote: Hello,

The documentation for the Blue kit indicates that one can use the 'built-in' antenna and includes a photo of the PCB with the rectangular section opposite the antenna screw terminal, and labeled 'Probe / Antenna' below, still attached. That rectangular section is not electrically connected to the e-field board.

It's been 25+ years since my coursework in electromagnetics so I'm a bit ignorant at this point. Is that separate rectangular section coupled in some way even though it is not electrically connected?

What, exactly, is the 'built-in' antenna?

Is it preferred to use a wire instead of the 'built-in' antenna?
llowrey, the top part is electrically connected to the bottom part, however in the past there where some that was not.
To be certain that yours are, measure it using a DVM set to Ohms.
The best however, is to use a 100mm, 14 gauge solid copper electric wire. Connect it to the inner screw connector.

Remember to update your BO profile using Input 3. Inputs 0 - 2 is used for the H field.
[Image: NOAARADlogoTXT80.png]

Stations: 2100, 2954
Thank you for your reply.

Mine (17.2) is definitely not connected. I did check with a DVM, but more importantly, using a bright light I can see clearly that there is no copper spanning the bridge between the two sections.

Regarding placement, I believe I read that the e-field antenna can be placed above a metal roof and the h-field can be placed under a metal roof. Is that true and if so, is there a minimum distance that they should be away from the roof?

The roof in question covers a concrete pad and is away from the house and any electrical wires, devices or machinery. It is about 12' (~3.7m) above the ground. I could place either in a nearby tree about 20' up (~6m) if that would be meaningfully better.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My E-field antenna setup TomVal 3 11,771 2020-11-05, 15:48
Last Post: cutty
  blue ferrite / loop antenna connection? MTO-Mareuil 1 6,615 2020-10-20, 11:43
Last Post: cutty
  GPS antenna SYSTEM BLUE ! IK1TTD 9 46,545 2020-06-03, 12:16
Last Post: GJ7DNI
  Can E-field antenna be casted in resin? OH4GRM 3 12,008 2020-06-01, 13:19
Last Post: dupreezd
  Blue System: PreAmp & Antenna Questions BassJohn 5 25,724 2018-02-28, 08:41
Last Post: BassJohn